How reliable is Family history

jay121

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have followed in their family history in how aggressive or what Norwood they end up at. Would be nice to hear peoples experiences

s.a.f

Reaction score
Very reliable if your father/grandfathers are bald your only slim hope is that you get a throwback gene from a distant relative.

jay121

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Very reliable if your father/grandfathers are bald your only slim hope is that you get a throwback gene from a distant relative.

That seems to be my problem though,my dad and grandads + uncles on both sides have great hair all of them are nw2.5 or below where as me I'm loosing hair all over sides back top

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
How much of it is luck though too?

Mum's father - Norwood 3/4 when he died at 83. He was NW2-3 up to his late 70s. Again with the rest of his hair thick.
Dad's father - Norwood 2 although he died young at 49.
Father - NW5/6 but thick hair (in the areas not balding)
Brother - NW1, no diffuse, 3 kids, runs a business and 33 years old.
Me - NW3/3.5, now diffuse on top 'the island appearing' and 29, no business or commitments.

Out of my group of friends, I can't think of many of them who have different balding patterns like my brother and I have. Maybe he will bald later on too but his hairline has not even seemed to 'round off' or mature at all. He shaved his head once a year or so back.
I know a trio of brothers who are all between 26-30 and have that NW0 Steven Gerrard thing going with the thickest hair you won't even seen on a dodgy rug.

There must be folk on here who are like my brother and I. Also, I wish I had a $1 for the amount of people who said ''Your brother is not balding and he's older than you''. As if him being older means that he'll lose it all first.

Dedge89

Reaction score
Very reliable considering male pattern baldness is genetically passed down.

My dads lost most of it on top while my maternal grandfather is a slick NW5. My paternal grandfather and uncle however have their hair, so my dad got very unlucky lol! I seem to be going the same way as my dad but he's held on pretty well to now and considering I've got onto medications at an early age I should hope to maintain longer than he did.

It's all a dice roll though really isn't it.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

Always heard is was Mother's side. But don't buy into any of it. My Dad's was bald and Mum's wasn't. And how does it work when you look at Wills and Harry, Different fathers? Hmmmmm. Probably not as my brother lost his very early many years ago while mine is only getting that way a lot later in life

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its basicly the same as height, if all your parents and grandparents are short (like 5'3") its unlikely you'll be 6'2".

Mr. P

Reaction score
None of my grandparents were bald or even thinning. Both grandfathers died with full heads of hair. My dad had thick, full hair until he got cancer.

Doesn't seem to have helped my brother or me. I've still got good coverage, but my hairline is pretty weak. My brother has a better hairline, but he's definitely showing early signs of thinning, especially in the crown.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think very reliable but not 100 percent. I know a guy at my last job that was Norwood 6 and said no one in his whole family was bald except for him. So its possible even if your whole family had no history that you could still have it.

cs2

Reaction score
Both of my grand father have full head of hair when they died at old age.
My father have full head of hair.
My father's brother is NW7

My mother's brother, one is NW1.5, the other is NW3.

My brother is NW1.

So I think it is not very reliable.

s.a.f

Reaction score
cs2 said:
Both of my grand father have full head of hair when they died at old age.
My father have full head of hair.
My father's brother is NW7

My mother's brother, one is NW1.5, the other is NW3.

My brother is NW1.

So I think it is not very reliable.

Obviously theres a bald ancestor somewhere. What else do you put your m.p.b down to diet? lol
I'd suggest that about 90% of the guys on here have bald family members. If there was no link then your family and everyone elses would be a totally random mixture of baldies and NW1's.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
It can get odd. My wife's dad is a slick nw7 who looks is short (5'2'') and even has like growths on his face. His older brother on the other hand is 6'3'' and looks like some kind of greek god(with a full head of hair, Norwood-nothing), hell he looks younger than some of my friends(25) and hes in his 50s.

I always assumed there may have been some mail/milk man business going on. Though my wife's brother has a nice NW1 but otherwise looks like her/his dad so who knows.

jay121

Established Member
Reaction score
Hairloss is so messed up I bet most of you use to have perfect hair when you were a child/teen but not me my hairs always been crazy thin :sobbing:

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jay12345 said:
Hairloss is so messed up I bet most of you use to have perfect hair when you were a child/teen but not me my hairs always been crazy thin :sobbing:

How said when in 20s/30s my biggest problem was not being able to get the brush through my thick and tangled hair..... yes. And now, I would kill for that problem!

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
NW2 from birth myself. Though I used to have the density to hide it, even from myself.