How Often Should I Use Dermaroller?

freddieb80

My Regimen
Reaction score
I own a dermaroller that I bought with some skincare products from Rodan and Fields a while back and haven't been using it since I ran out of my products. I'm assuming the puncture depth will work because I'm still currently razor shaving my head so I have no hair to go through. How often should I be using the dermaroller? I've read in a couple of threads that I should wait at least 12 hours between using the dermaroller and my S5 Plus cream/minoxidil so I was planning on using it at night but I haven't been able to find anything on how often I should be using it. Also, do I use it on all of my thinning areas or should I concentrate on the areas most affected like my temples and crown?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Benchmark successful study (The Indian) utilized a 1.5 mm needle, applied Minoxidil after 24 hours, repeated 6 or 8 weeks later. And that is what I recommend starting out. Best to use medical grade needles which are sharper, thinner more uniformly manufactured, but do what you want. Also, just stick with one area first, like the crown.

freddieb80

My Regimen
Reaction score
Benchmark successful study (The Indian) utilized a 1.5 mm needle, applied Minoxidil after 24 hours, repeated 6 or 8 weeks later. And that is what I recommend starting out. Best to use medical grade needles which are sharper, thinner more uniformly manufactured, but do what you want. Also, just stick with one area first, like the crown.

Got it! Thank you! I just ordered a new 1.5 mm dermaroller because the one I already own is only .5 mm. I remember how bad the one I own hurt to use on my face so I imagine the 1.5 mm is going to be pretty brutal but if it's only 1 day a week it won't be too bad.

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone on here has has had the same results as the "Indian study" claims . In fact , nowhere near .

Distressed

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone on here has has had the same results as the "Indian study" claims . In fact , nowhere near .
I've seen it work pretty well outside the study. I've noticed here that those who were using it here either were doing something wrong (wrong needle size, weren't doing it until the area is red, did it everyday) or they weren't good responders to minoxidill to begin with.

shookwun

Reaction score
its a gimmick and result of people presenting results under different lighting, making them inclined to believe they produced a result that doesn't exist.

Kyle889

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't read through this thread but I used to use a 1MM dermaroller about 6 times a week (at about 2 minutes of rolling throughout the entire scalp right before applying lipgaine at night) give or take a day per week in conjunction with lipogaine with good results. Although after about two years of that I started to experience some bad shedding, dry/brittle hair in the mornings because of my crazy scalp inflammation. Idk if it was the excess derma rolling or the harshness of the lipogaine or probably both but I needed to chill out on that stuff and am about to go on a prescribed steroid lotion for my scalp.

Good results meaning I had a good amount of regrowth then maintained for awhile. (I was also taking 1 mg of finesteride per week)

Edit: Also I'm a 29 Y/O male with AA/male pattern baldness

Last edited:

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen it work pretty well outside the study. I've noticed here that those who were using it here either were doing something wrong (wrong needle size, weren't doing it until the area is red, did it everyday) or they weren't good responders to minoxidill to begin with.

Possibly, but a lot of people here experimented with different approaches with minimual success, apart from a few who swore it worked but went through "bloody" extremes. Not worth the torture. I lightly roll a couple of times a week for better absorbion for my minoxidil but nothing groundbreaking in terms of results.

yess

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it every other day after washing my hair and immediately after rolling i put on minoxidil is that good?

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Start slow. 2 times a week. See how your scalp reacts and if it can take it. Then up the times a week to 4. And see how it goes from there. Why do people start with 6 times a week lol.