how much is a hair system with your own hair?

will30

Reaction score
when i shaved off all my hair less than a year ago, i put it in a plastic bag. so if i were to use my own hair for a system would it cost a lot less than a manual hairpiece? honestly i don't know what a hair system is? is it a hair piece?

Swopo

Reaction score
Hair system is a hair piece with a new name, because of the prejudice for old school wigs. It is basically a wig glued to your head/clipped to your existing hair, but is not as detectable because of better materials&production. You can also get a specific shape to cover a specific area.

You have to replace it every few months either because the base gets damaged or the hair wears out or sheds out.

I would recommend you to get your first system with your own hair, because the color and texture will match your own hair and your hair on a system will last you longer, because your hair is not processed and while wearing your first system, you could experiment with other systems and hair to get the best match with your own hair for future wearing.

Good luck!

Grimoire

Reaction score
Having a hairpiece made from your own hair sounds good in theory, but it is rarely a good idea.

1. How long is the hair? If it is less than 10", it can't be used. The only exception is if you have a ThinSkin piece made with injected (not knotted) hair.

2. When you cut the hair, did you tie all of the hairs into a ponytail, making sure that the root ends are all together? If not, you'll end up with a rat's nest of endless tangles.

3. About 40% of the hair in a ponytail cannot be used (and has to be removed) because it is less than 50% of the total length of the ponytail itself. If this does not leave enough hair remaining, the factory will need to add their own hair to your piece.

4. The hair used in high quality hairpieces has never had anything but shampoo and conditioner used on it. If you regularly put product in your hair or blow dry it, that compromises the quality of the hair.

The bottom line is that it is almost always best not to use your own hair.

will30

Reaction score
my hair was down to the bottom of my back, but at first i cut it to just above my shoulders, and i used a pony tail for that. then i cut it all the way to my nape area(back neck underneath the usual line of medium length hair),then shaved the rest off.

Grimoire

Reaction score
As long as you are sure that all of the hairs in the ponytail have the root ends all together, you may be okay to have a system made with your own hair. Chances are, however, that whomever you send it to will not guarantee the results.