How much "homework" before a hair transplant?

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read various comments on this board regarding the importance of doing your homework prior to opting for an hair transplant.

I hope I have done enough but how certain can you be? I started on Propecia medication shortly after it was launched in the UK in March 2002 and I've been taking it regularly ever since. I'm sure I've not experienced further hair loss but I've had no regrowth which I thought I might.

Last Summer after 3 years on medication retaining the status quo I realised regrowth was unlikely. I read various reports on this board and was heartened by the reports of Dr Rogers in the UK. Given everything I've read about him, he seems completely honest and his work very professional. I met him for an initial consultation in September 2005 and he seemed of the calibre I would expect of any respected surgeon.

I have never met another hair transplant patient and neither have I consulted with anyone other than on this board to proceed with a hair transplant. The tough thing I find particularly in the UK is that to discuss a hair transplant would be embarrasing and I'd probably be considered extremely vain. This of course may be the same for everyone.

As I'm currently single I decided this is a good time to take such private action. My hair at age 42 is looking thin at the front and I hate seeing my scalp which is what I hope the corrective surgery will handle. I believe my expectations are realistic - I'm looking to have my hairline back to where I was in my mid 30s when my scalp was not showing through.

Dr Rogers recommended 2000 grafts by strip method and I booked back in October for end of January this year.

I'm nervous about it as I worry that I might end up worse off by shockloss etc and scarring but everytime I get a haircut I'm reminded how my scalp is showing through.

I've decided the strip scar should not be an issue as I never want to have a haircut closer than a no.4 . I'm under the impression there will be no visible scarring in the recipient area due to the micro size of the surgery.

I haven't shared my decision with anyone who knows me - I wish I could have done but I'm 100% certain they would have told me "don't be stupid, you look fine as you are and it's just natural as you get older" and I guess thats what i'd say to a good friend too.

Doing this in isolation is a bit scary but I'm sure I'm in good hands and hope I won't regret my decision.

I'm also hoping that having the surgery done on a Friday and returning to work 9 days later on the Monday will be sufficient so that no one will notice which is another concern.

I do feel vulnerable in placing faith in one person on how I'm going to look in the future - it feels risky but how much more homework should I do if any prior to surgery in 3 weeks?

Thanks for any helpful comments. :)

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hold off man. You are going bald. Transplanting two percent of your scalp is only going to leave you dissapointed or worse.

G

Carter,

Where are you on the Norwood scale right now at age 42 and do you have advanced classes of male pattern baldness on either side of your family history?

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gill

Norwood 3a with hair diffuse on top. My maternal grandfather was Norwood 6 or 7 in his 20s. On my father's my grandfather had a full head of hair as does my father now in his early 70s.

So yes I guess it was pretty advanced on the maternal side.

One thing I realise which is perhaps stupid so far is not meet anyone thats already had an hair transplant but presumably this isn't easy to do?

G

Carter,

My family history is just like yours with the maternal side having advanced male pattern baldness including my mother who also suffered from genetic hairloss since she was in her mid-twenties. She'll be 81 this year. My paternal grandfather, father, and all of his 3 brothers never had any genetic hairloss. My two brothers and one sister do not have male pattern baldness either, JUST ME and my mother. I was the unlucky one.

Thank goodness you're not more advanced at 42 yet a Norwood 3a will undoubtedly progress with age. Also glad to hear of your stabilization which I hope continues for both of us. I have been on finasteride myself for just about a decade now and it's still working. Hopefully your vertex and crown will not get any worse.

At age 42 I'm sure you are thinking about the future and donor reserves you will need. You are welcome to e-mail me your pics if you want because I wonder how much surface area your Doctor is proposing for the 2,000 grafts. Did he speak in terms of implanting "X" number of grafts per cm2 to attain a certain level of density? Also since you are getting the frontal zone restored alot of single hair grafts are utilized in restoring the hairline. Did your Doctor mention how many singles he intends on using? That may be why he is estimating the grafts at 2,000.

You will also want to get an estimate of how many potential grafts can be harvested in your donor zones for a lifetime based on your donor density. If some of the 2,000 grafts are transitioning into the mid-scalp, you may very well experience some shockloss since that area is diffused. Possibly he is not planning that many into that area to minimize trauma from the recipient incisions. You would be wise to ask about it ahead of time unless he's already gone over that with you. Has he seen you for an examination yet?

Also ask Dr. Rogers for patient references that you will be able to meet in person. Although I do not know that much about his work, he's been around long enough to be able to provide enough examples of his work.

But hey Carter, congrats man! You have been on the meds for awhile and appears you have been doing alot of research. Nothing against Dr. Rogers but don't rule out traveling and many hair transplant docs reimburse their patients for travel expenses or at least most of them. Keep us in the loop! :)

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gill

thanks for the reply

I don't actually have any close up pics of my scalp and hair. I'm not sure how much surface area Dr R plans covering or the density - he did confirm at my initial consultation at the end of October that he would start the hairline at where my first hairs currently begin so taking me back to my mid 30s hairline.

I will ask how many grafts can be harvested, he considered the donor area was very healthy.

I appreciate your support and will let you know how I get on :)

G

You're welcome Carter and we'll look forward to your update. Best wishes man! :)