How much do people shedd?

Reaction score
I naturally have thin hair all over so i can't afford to lose much hair. i currently take proscar and use nizoral. should i had anything else to my reg? also, every moring i see about 5-10 hairs on my pillow and everytime i wash my hair i lose about 10-20. is this shedding? do other people lose as much hair as i do? if anyone can tell me how much hair they lose a day would be alot of help to me to get a general idea. Also do other people in this forum have naturally thin hair. i shave my hair with a #6 with the hair clippers so my scalp is fully exposed and seems like iam balding but iam not even a Norwood 2, it just started to thin.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
newguytothisforum said:
I naturally have thin hair all over so i can't afford to lose much hair. i currently take proscar and use nizoral. should i had anything else to my reg? also, every moring i see about 5-10 hairs on my pillow and everytime i wash my hair i lose about 10-20. is this shedding? do other people lose as much hair as i do? if anyone can tell me how much hair they lose a day would be alot of help to me to get a general idea. Also do other people in this forum have naturally thin hair. i shave my hair with a #6 with the hair clippers so my scalp is fully exposed and seems like iam balding but iam not even a Norwood 2, it just started to thin.

i always wonder the same thing....ive never been one to find hairs on my pillow when i wake up....lately ive been noticing a little less hair in the shower (i just started month 8 on propecia). id say i still lose 10-20 hairs between showering, combing and gelling my hair. i think im a diffuse thinner though....i am a Norwood 0...i have a better hairline than most my age (26), but its just getting thin on top.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I shed much more than 5-10 sleeping and 10-20 showering from the top alone. I would estimate that I losse 10-30 hairs each morning when I brush the top and then another 30 + from that area during shampooing. If I am feeling sadistic I can brush my top later in the day and see another 20 or so hairs fall out. I also loose tons from the sides, but proportionally less than from the trouble areas. MY floors collect tons of hairs from unobserved shedding as well.

It's pretty bad, and some times it really gets me down. However over the nearly 10 months of treatment I haven't lost too much ground. My hair is thinner up top and my hairline did push back a cm or so and that is much less severe than my mind makes it out to be when I look at all the hair falling out and start loosing my mind. I think I also may be seeing some of these shed hairs coming back and the ammount of hair shed slowing down a little, but I am scared to start thinking that, becaue the last time I hit a lull in shedding it came back with avengance.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
whether you're shedding depends not on how much you lose per day, but on how much more you lose per day compared to what you normally lose. i lose between 2-5 hairs in the shower, and for me shedding was losing 20 hairs. other people on this forum lose 20 hairs on any given day and for them shedding is losing 50+ hairs in the shower.

i also see about 5-10 hairs on my pillow every morning.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Hairloss is when you SHED hairs that aren't replaced by the amount being shed.

Shedding should be minimized.

I found that Rogaine probably works best for reducing my shedding. Dutasteride is probably doing it's job.

Copper peptides reduce a lot of shedding, and spironolactone seems to be minimizing any loss, too.

I might shed 1 hair a day with my regimen.