How much DHT does Finasteride inhibit?

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could clear up the confusion I have regarding the amount of DHT that finasteride inhibits?

I recently read the followng on minoxidil.com:

"The use of Propecia (finasteride) still allows a significant amount of scalp DHT around the hair follicles. In fact, 5 mg of finasteride daily lowers the scalp DHT by approximately 38% without providing any additional protection from the residual DHT.

That means the scalp still has 62% of the baseline DHT plaguing the follicles. A small reduction of DHT helps some. But finasteride treatment is ineffective for others, and is generally only helpful for frontal loss when the patient also uses minoxidil"

I seem to remember people stating that finasteride reduced about 80% of dht in the scalp? Were they mistaken? Why the huge disparity in figures?

powersam

Reaction score
you only get the really good inhibition rates if you take it as an a*** suppository. but dont be scared, its more fun than it sounds. and usually if you ask nicely Roki or Oni will help you with your daily dose.

Pondle

Reaction score
It's no so much the total level of DHT in the scalp that's the problem - there is no established correlation between a reduction in the amount of DHT measured from a scalp sample and the amount of hair grown - but the DHT produced inside the hair follicle.

finasteride reduces inhibits the DHT produced by type II 5AR by 90%. That's plenty good enough for most folk. Of course dutasteride achieves 98.5%.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah, okay, thanks Pondle, I think I understand.

powersam, I hear roki and oni have their hands full, perhaps you could help me with the insertion?

powersam

Reaction score
a more important question would be 'what are their hands full of?'

Sean68

Reaction score
pondle - hate to be a pain but...could you give me an idea of what dutasteride
every third day would inhibit? if its an estimation then fair enough.
thanks.

powersam

Reaction score
Finasteride 5mg 75.6 hairs
Dutasteride 0.1 mg 78.5 hairs
Dutasteride 0.5 mg 94.6 hairs
Dutasteride 2.5 mg 109.6 hairs

0.1 mg is like having one dutasteride pill every 5 days. those are the only doses i think got tested. hope that helps. those are the average increased hair counts, in my opinion more important than the inhibition rates. also the first thing i could find. there is a nifty graph on here somewhere.

ps. best way to dose yourself is with some ky and your legs behind your ears.

Pondle

Reaction score
Sean68 said:
thanks.

I have no clue Sean. This is beyond my level of scientific understanding, and I'm not sure if it's ever been studied - the trials seem to have involved a daily dose. PM one of the more scientifically literate members - then please let me know their response.

Sorry Powersam, should have read your reply. :)

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Sean68 said:
thanks.

Bryan gave his opinion on something like this before...I believe he said that dutasteride every OTHER day would inhibit somewhere around 93-95 percent. so my guess for every THIRD day would be around 90-93 percent..Obviously, those are just estimate interpolations

btw, 1mg of finasteride inhibits roughly 85 percent, not 90 as was previously stated.

Sean68

Reaction score
cheers guys.thats more than i thought actually.