How Many Young Balding Guys Are On Anti Depressants ?

Christoppp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Title. I'm not sure what to do. Feel like complete hell and I'm Norwood 3 diffuse on top. do most of you guys take anti depressants ?

couldbebetter

Reaction score
I was. Been depressed for years, hair made it much worse. First antidepressants I tried didn't seem to do anything, second caused me to grind my teeth in my sleep. Didn't like using the mouth guard to stop me from grinding, so I stopped taking antidepressants. They didn't help much anyway.

The day to day is pretty difficult. I find it hard to cope. I see other guys my age who are as bald, or even balder than I am, but they don't seem to care. Hair really isn't that important, but we have it in our heads that losing our hair is the end of the world. I want to keep my hair, but at the same time I'm trying to accept that losing it isn't so bad.

I'm actually considering seeing a therapist. Antidepressants are a temporary solution, especially If your hair loss treatment doesn't work. The best thing you can do is learn to accept yourself - with hair or without. If you, like me, need help to accept that then that's okay too. There's no shame in that.

shookwun

Reaction score
Exactly, which is why they dont work for people suffering hair loss. A temporary solution in which you eventually have to come off.

All though I can see anxiety medications being a good temporary crutch for those experiencing hair loss

therapy, prosthesis & surgery(hair transplants) is the only viable approach.

I was. Been depressed for years, hair made it much worse. First antidepressants I tried didn't seem to do anything, second caused me to grind my teeth in my sleep. Didn't like using the mouth guard to stop me from grinding, so I stopped taking antidepressants. They didn't help much anyway.

The day to day is pretty difficult. I find it hard to cope. I see other guys my age who are as bald, or even balder than I am, but they don't seem to care. Hair really isn't that important, but we have it in our heads that losing our hair is the end of the world. I want to keep my hair, but at the same time I'm trying to accept that losing it isn't so bad.

I'm actually considering seeing a therapist. Antidepressants are a temporary solution, especially If your hair loss treatment doesn't work. The best thing you can do is learn to accept yourself - with hair or without. If you, like me, need help to accept that then that's okay too. There's no shame in that.

shookwun

Reaction score
Therapy can involve reading, and attending free counselling sessions.

How about when you need to face reality and get off the drugs? it's a temporary fix which is easy to talk about while you are on.

I will have to intervene here, and have to cite my extensive knowledge on the topic of anti-depression medications/therapy.
Therapy, solely, will not do anything for you besides take your money. Depression is caused, simply put, by a chemical imbalance in your brain. No amount of therapy will change this, and medication is the only solution (Until Gene editing is perfected.)
You are doing yourself a grave injustice by limiting yourself, and you are wasting your life. I have been involved with countless clients, I've seen it all before, it's the same repeat behavior.

Tries drug -> Doesn't Work -> Tries to "live" with depression
Tries another drug -> side effect -> Tries to live with depression.

If I may offer my advice on a certain anti-depressant, try Viibrid - it is fairly new, and I have myself had great success with it, as well as overseeing many clients who have stayed with it for long periods of time. It is not an SSRI, which causes many problems in men.

Again, just like anything else, it has to be worked at, but I cannot stress enough how ineffective talking about your depression is on treating depression. It is the equivalent of describing a car problem to a mechanic with no tools. He'll just sit there and nod and say, "That sucks, but at least it still starts up."

shookwun

Reaction score
Hey, not gonna argue with you. It would prove to be counter-productive. But again, reading and attending free counseling session will not change the amount of dopamine in your brain - prolonged, that is.

You can take anti-depressants indefinitely. You can take them for life, if you so choose.
So how exactly is anti-depressants a solution for people who have hair loss.

Our cure is simply put -hair. Which would involve a hair transplant or wearing a prosthesis. I believe a lot of balding guys misdiagnose them-self. We are all sad, and insecure about our hair loss, but how exactly are anti-depressants the solution?

As you said already, people who take anti-depressants are not taking a drug to get high, rather re-balance what they lack.

shookwun

Reaction score
The gentleman mentioned before that he feels like "hell," and has hair loss. I operated on the assumption of two problems.

To answer your question, "How exactly do anti-depressants offer a solution for people who have hair loss?" - The obvious answer would be it will not fix hair loss, but would treat depression either separate from balding, or caused by.

Therapy does not adequately treat depression, but in concurrence with your "self misdiagnosis" statement, if OP is just feeling "sad," therapy could be adequate. If it is something more than just feeling sad, and it is prolonged for an extended period of time, it is a completely different story.

There is also much to be said about looking at life in blue shaded glasses. I myself have thought along the lines of "manning up," to solve various problems - and indeed it does with the help of various coping mechanisms. The reason I got into psychology and the quasi-medical field (so to speak) is because the brain doesn't work that way. No amount of manning up can solve depression, anxiety, or even behavioral problems. Humans inability to understand that for generations have led to a tremendous amount of problems, and we STILL aren't there as a race, unfortunately.

The primary reason for my addition to the discussion, was to not write off anti-depressants.

Besides, want to know how many clients I've met that have been successful with therapy alone? ;)
Hey man, you make some solid points.

I believe it's always in our best interest to seek an opinion by a professional rather then reading forums, watching videos. psychology, and the nocebo effects of sides can even be seen in those who take finasteride.

A Similar effect happened to myself where I was pointing fingers to why I had performance anxiety at one point, it all rooted backed to my anxiety, and not being able to relax. All though in the comfort of my own home, I was able to masturbate. :D

"A number of studies have looked at the problem of side effects caused by finasteride.[611] These studies which are discussed below reveal that sexual adverse effects occur at the rates of 2.1% to 3.8%, erectile dysfunction (ED) being the commonest followed by ejaculatory dysfunction and loss of libido. These effects occurred early in the therapy and returned to normal on stopping or over a time on continuous use of the drug. The only causal relation between finasteride and sexual adverse effects is decreased ejaculatory volume because of predominant action of DHT on prostate.[5]

A comprehensive review of a total of 73 papers on medical therapies for BPH was conducted, with a focus on the effects of different pharmacological agents on sexual function.[6] The review revealed that finasteride is infrequently associated with problems of ejaculation (2.1-7.7%), erection (4.9-15.8%), and libido (3.1-5.4%).

The role of nocebo effect in the causation of ED due to finasteride has been investigated.[7] Nocebo effect refers to an adverse effect that results from the psychological awareness of the possibility of the side effects, but is not a direct result of the specific pharmacological action of the drug. In this study, the group informed about the sexual adverse effects of finasteride reported increased incidence of ED, when compared to the group without information.[7] The side effects were completely reversible in 5 days when the medicine was discontinued, confirming that nocebo effect has an influence in causation of side effects and suggesting the role of psychological factors."

Christoppp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm gonna try them soon. It's a temporary solution, though, but at least I won't wake up everyday feeling sad and exhausted.
I feel ya man. I have followed you on these forums and I can only imagine how you get by. I'm seriously thinking about shaving my head with a razor and going to Europe. Coffee ?