How Many Peopl Do You Think Just Have Bdd?

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea this is interesting with the whole BDD thinf.

In my opinion, once you start losing your hair (Nw2) its tough to get it out of your head? Are you going to be a NW7 the next day? No. But you certainly could be 3/4 years down the line. That uncertainty/doubt is immense as you dont want to be in that situation in the first place. Therefore you start monitoring constantly and start taking meds ect.

I think the intensity of BDD has been greatly increased by societal factors (social media and tc) but also the availability of treatments. Imagine if hair loss was a severe thing that once it occured theres no going back... your slick bald in under a year. Well then it wouldnt induce so much BDD as the acceptance part will be real easy as you have no option to fight and think and observe and document your hair journey.

In all, I think it just takes time to adjust to losing your hair. The more time that goes by and your stable the better. However if your slowly losing it young (Norwood 2.5 at 20) and then increase a Norwood every 2 years, its a very very painful process.

Sladewilson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am BDD itself

NW1.25 (search post history) but have been on this forum longer than most with actual hair loss

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Been dealing with this for over 2 years now. I have actually posted pictures twice. Once in Feb 20'. And then again in June of 20' with alot of pictures spanning the whole time. Almost all taken in the same spot with bright flash on. This is what you told me in June. "You will never go bald, don't worry. I see no thinning or male pattern baldness signs."

Obviously I undertstand that was hyperbole and was you opinion based on some pictures. And that's as good as anybody can do. I only mention that to let you know that I have posted before about 2 months ago. I deleted those pictures on here though. I will post some tomorrow. I am just too mentally exhausted to do it now.

I don't remember your pictures but I don't think it was hyperbole, as you can tell by a few factors if someone is pre-disposed to male pattern baldness or not. Of course nobody knows what will happen 30-40 years down the road, but by then you will be an old man, will hair really matter that much?

I have seen hundreds of cases on the internet and I'd have no reason to lie to you, I want people to keep their hair and I hate this cursed condition. But if I genuinely didn't think you had any reason to be here, I would tell you because it would be better for you to move on with your life and enjoy it rather than worrying for no reason about your hair.

ozm8ey

Established Member
Reaction score
BDD is when you see faces/body features differently to normal people. What you see as a minor flaw or flaw that doesn't exist others wouldn't. Its also when you literally spend hours obsessing over the way you look in front of mirrors. If its a major flaw like hairloss then its not really BDD but instead actually real.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
BDD is when you see faces/body features differently to normal people. What you see as a minor flaw or flaw that doesn't exist others wouldn't. Its also when you literally spend hours obsessing over the way you look in front of mirrors. If its a major flaw like hairloss then its not really BDD but instead actually real.
You cant be obsessed and constantly looking at your hair and have hairloss?

ozm8ey

Established Member
Reaction score
You cant be obsessed and constantly looking at your hair and have hairloss?
Well I suppose you can obsess over hairloss but its a real problem, whereas BDD is generally a delusion about either minor flaws or or flaws that don't actually exist. Anxiety only becomes a disorder when the thoughts are/become irrational thoughts, though I guess excess worrying about hairloss can be a form OCD. I'm not a psychologist though just I have had many talks with them about this kinda stuff during my psychology sessions.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I suppose you can obsess over hairloss but its a real problem, whereas BDD is generally a delusion about either minor flaws or or flaws that don't actually exist. Anxiety only becomes a disorder when the thoughts are/become irrational thoughts, though I guess excess worrying about hairloss can be a form OCD. I'm not a psychologist though just I have had many talks with them about this kinda stuff during my psychology sessions.
You can certainly have BDD over hairloss. You generalize hairloss as a real problem as though its something crazy. Pick a random person in the world... odds are that same person will experience hairloss in their life. Its not some rare thing or big issue, its quite common and minor. Now its all subjective as to what level you consider “minor flaw” but if I have to put a number on it... once your mid scalp starts to show it can no longer be deemed as minor in which I see your point.

However for most people on here they were so bothered by their hairloss early that they immediately tried fixes.

What I am saying is if you don’t consider a Norwood 3 obsessing over his hairline as BDD then you shouldn’t consider people with a slightly crooked nose or a slight overbite or some acne that are obsessing over their characteristics as BDD therefore BDD doesn’t exist unless the person doesn’t possess a flaw at all in which they belong in a psych ward as they’re seeing things that don’t exist (tripping).

Also, due to the subjectivity of everything I can argue “minor flaw” as a flaw in which your everyday needs are not impacted”. Therefore if you have a overbite that prevents you from eating then thats a major flaw. A bald head doesnt prevent you from doing anything therefore its a minor flaw.