how many other people on dutasteride.?

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
i wanted to see if anyone else was on dutasteride. in here? i was on proscar and minoxidil for 20 months prior, and my hair continued to thin and look like sh*t. actually, it was getting better for the first 6 months, but then it started to go downhill again. i guess i really have nothing to lose by trying the dr reedy generic dutasteride that came out. have been on it for two weeks and haven't noticed any side effects yet. scared of the huge shed though a lot of people report.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I'm up to the 14 month mark of taking .5mg dutasteride every 2nd day but I don't think many others on this site are users. FYI my shed came after 6 months, lasted for two and the damage done should be repaired, at the current rate of progress, within a couple more months - fingers crossed. Another poster, MrT_12, has had a more immediate shed which he's posted about on my 'Tell Your Story' thread.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on .5 mg dutasteride, but only for 50 days. Pretty much a non-event thus far.

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been taking dutasteride everyday for 15 months. My results have been excellent with regrowth on the vertex, crown and front areas.

D

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wanna know...if Dutasteride attacks both types of 5 alpha reductase...while Finasteride attacks only 1 type..why hasnt Dutasteride been more successful than Finasteride. It should had ideally taken Finasteride's place ...but everyone takes only finasteride..havent seen many ppl in this forum talking about Dutasteride.. :roll:

morphuesX

Reaction score
AMS99

iam pretty much in the same boat as you.. been on finasteride for almost 20 months and hair is getting progressively worse...iam seriously considering Generic dutasteride..iam just waiting for more feedback from users since its been around only for 3-4 months

bombscience

Reaction score
I was on Propecia and minoxidil for 12 months with continued thinning and I made the switch 2 to dutasteride two months ago. I fucked up by quitting minoxidil and now i'm shedding like a husky.

No side effects yet.

nexus81 said:
I wanna know...if Dutasteride attacks both types of 5 alpha reductase...while Finasteride attacks only 1 type..why hasnt Dutasteride been more successful than Finasteride. It should had ideally taken Finasteride's place ...but everyone takes only finasteride..havent seen many ppl in this forum talking about Dutasteride.. :roll:

This is because Dutasteride hasn't been fully tested or sold as a hairloss treatment. If you want to stick to the truly proven treatments, then Finasteride is what you take. Also the other 5ar that finasteride doesn't block is not a known contributing factor to male pattern baldness.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nexus81 said:

The reason is it seems type 2 DHT (which Finasteride blocks) is the most influential type of DHT in male pattern baldness.

Quote from Bryan at: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... SGDBTABLE=

"...separate trials in both humans and stumptailed macaques which showed that specific type 1 inhibitors like MK386 had no noticeable effect on male pattern baldness..."

That is not to say type 1 DHT doesnt have any role in male pattern baldness.

However, the fact that it seems (from the reports I've heard) that Dutasteride isnt much more effective then Finasteride suggest that for most men type 2 DHT is the more important type of DHT to block.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But Dutasteride does block MORE type 2 5ar then Finasteride.

You're right :)

I got the Finasteride and Dutasteride switched in my last sentence. It should be Dutasteride isnt much more effective then Finasteride from most report that I know of.

Meaning, yes Dutasteride is a little better but it doesnt appear to be significantly better for most men.

Sorry about the confusion.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
dutasteride is just a little better than finasteride and blocks both so its good to have as a topical along with finasteride for those who aren't getting good results with finasteride .The dutasteride will take your treatment to a higher level of recovery .

Bismarck

Reaction score
Kevin fretwell said:
dutasteride is just a little better than finasteride and blocks both so its good to have as a topical along with finasteride for those who aren't getting good results with finasteride .The dutasteride will take your treatment to a higher level of recovery .

I've heard that the results with topical Finasteride were very poor. So where is the evidence that Dutasteride is able to penetrate the skin at all ?

bis

dfass

Reaction score
have any of you experienced side effects like greasy skin with the dutasteride. i was on it for 3 monthsafter a propecia shed and grew back more hair on my head than i ever had , the problem was that my skin got horribly greasy and i had to stop, now i am on spironolactone and and reviv likd HairLossTalk.com and

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Bismarck said:
Kevin fretwell said:

I've heard that the results with topical Finasteride were very poor. So where is the evidence that Dutasteride is able to penetrate the skin at all ?

bis
Thats a very good question and I'm glad to answer that . Dr Reedy's gel cap dutasteride specifically says on the blister packets that the caps are incased in says "Warning dutasteride is absorbed through the skin " . This statement is from a large pharm corp. and is a trustworthy source .

Bismarck

Reaction score
Kevin fretwell said:
Bismarck said:
[quote="Kevin fretwell":910e9]dutasteride is just a little better than finasteride and blocks both so its good to have as a topical along with finasteride for those who aren't getting good results with finasteride .The dutasteride will take your treatment to a higher level of recovery .

bis
Thats a very good question and I'm glad to answer that . Dr Reedy's gel cap dutasteride specifically says on the blister packets that the caps are incased in says "Warning dutasteride is absorbed through the skin " . This statement is from a large pharm corp. and is a trustworthy source .[/quote:910e9]

What??? That's like trying to commit suicide with aspirin because sudden death is listed as a possible side effect.