How many of you

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Not me, thats stupid. But I thought about it in the past mainly because the quality of my life is depressing. But that was in my emo years.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
BornIn89 said:
Have thought about suicide because of hair loss?

Been suicidal due to my other insecurities, but never because of hairloss (even though I was NW6 at 22). What gets me over is the fact that there are still things I enjoy..good food, good movies etc..and the fact that I feel I have control that I can always do it later, why do it now when I am still enjoying certain things in life?

s.a.f

Reaction score
CaptainForehead said:
BornIn89 said:
Have thought about suicide because of hair loss?
Been suicidal due to my other insecurities, but never because of hairloss (even though I was NW6 at 22). What gets me over is the fact that there are still things I enjoy..good food, good movies etc..and the fact that I feel I have control that I can always do it later, why do it now when I am still enjoying certain things in life?
Never thought about actually killing myself but I do find that the thought of dying is something that does'nt bother/scare me in the same way that it does most (normal) people.

cuebald

Reaction score
Hey man, if you are in a dark place hang in there.
I had very bad thoughts about myself so much I stopped eating and went down to 8 stone. I couldn't see how I could be happy again. I was always plain but with male pattern baldness I wondered how I'd ever find someone. Especially as most of my friends were very handsome.

It gets easier over time I think. I've stopped caring as much now what people think of me. My pangs of jealousy I used to have over some of my friends are disappearing. I used to be very envious of one of my friends who had a NW1 of wavy, sandy blonde hair, and he would draw eyes everywhere he went. He wasn't shy about admitting he was hot either. It took him a year to reach NW4. A year or so I'd have been glad that he lost his hair, but now I just feel bad for him, knowing how much it can make some people suffer. (he is now a "hat guy")

What Norwood are you? Your treatments not working? I remember in your pictures you had a decent-ish hairline, but you were diffused quite bad. You tried Toppik ?

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, especially in the first months when I realised I was losing it at the age of 20 I got really depressed. Even though I continued my daily routine etc I did have disturbing thoughts.

Now I am on finasteride for a year and things a looking up so I can't really judge where I would have gone without it.

I still cling to the fact that I got my dad's male pattern baldness, he started at 18 aswell is now NW5-6 at 55, so treatment can be quite effective in my case. Also its comforting for me that there is always the wig or the hair tattoo option.

Jacob

Reaction score
Not even on my mind. Even when it comes to other things..the worst times of all.....

Lowlow

Reaction score
I'm new here but I honestly dream about not having to wake up all the time. I suffer from depression anyway and the hairloss was a double whammy that I never saw coming. I live alone and have become a virtual recluse, save for a job that I am lucky to have and can't concentrate on half the time. I'm not looking for sympathy, but I guess some people are just stronger than others and I'm not one. I never was... I think about suicide every day unfortunately because of the hairloss, sea of regrets and other issues in my life.

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
I have them a lot. Suffer severe, treatment reistant depression. It's not all due to hair loss though and I had my first bout when I still had good hair. It's a combination of things with me e.g. having skin diseases and going bald is not good.

I've been off work for several months and am in the process of moving back home where I expect to become a virtual recluse.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps not suicide but I have thought about radically altering my life a few times since hairloss.

If I'm woken up by loads of new bills, go have a rubbish day at work, deal with stressed out people for 12 hours, get rejected by a 1 or 10 women in the pub after, somehow make it out sane for home, to then be confronted with somebody who comments on my bald head..... I do ask myself, why do I bother?

I feel like I'm trying to fake a normal life sometimes, which is another issue, but hairloss comments are definitely a trigger to those thoughts.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
But the thing is, those that even think about suicide are the ones with a pitful life overall. The hairloss is just a trigger like someone else mentioned.

Very few people will bother much about hairloss if they have a sattisfing life overall. Sure it sucks but they will move on(unless they start to lose hair in their teens when their self esteem is not fully matured).

Obsidian

Reaction score
And a lot of those pitiful things are things that are not out of your control.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
LooseItAll said:
But the thing is, those that even think about suicide are the ones with a pitful life overall. The hairloss is just a trigger like someone else mentioned.

Very few people will bother much about hairloss if they have a sattisfing life overall. Sure it sucks but they will move on(unless they start to lose hair in their teens when their self esteem is not fully matured).
I agree and I had to go through some situations more tough than anything hairloss gave me or is going to give me in the rest of my life (being old enough now). Even then I never made such thoughts. So, yes, I believe that people going suicidal on hairloss are, for some reason, already prone to this.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
And a lot of those pitiful things are things that are not out of your control.

That is debatable. One would have to be on the other side of the spectrum to truly know the answer.

I for one will say that while it may be possible, the success rate is rather low. I like to refer to such situaton as a bugged computer program.

If you are programmed well from the begining then while there might be some minor bugs it's easy to spot them and correct them.

But if you are poorly programmed from the very begining and continue to to work that way all the way into your adulthood, then it is almost impossible to locate and correct anything. Might as well take ages and is still not guaranteed. It's easier to manage a blank sheet than one filled with a reviser.

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
I often have that stupid desire to become older when my receded hairline would be more acceptable than now in my nowadays years...