How many of you have been on finasteride for a very long time? (3+ years)

Ebony

Reaction score
There is no debate about the fact that remedying hair loss is a life-long ordeal, whether it is finasteride or minoxidil. And to some extent this doesn't bother me, it's like brushing your teeth every day. I'm the kind who likes to keep things simple, if I get the guts to get on finasteride, I will only be on finasteride and probably have healthier diet choices, such as avoiding dairy and greasy products while keeping vitamin intake in check.

My question is regarding the side effects of long-term finasteride use. Everything I have read suggests it will, in one way or another, "de-masculinize" my body. By this I mean that a man on finasteride will have higher susceptibility to gynecomastia (gyno), gain weight easier, have weaker erections, lower libido, and a destroyed sex drive - basically womanizing a man's body, as though he was a transgender taking hormones. I have a major problem with this, because I have a very masculine body, I have broad shoulders and frame in general and am well-built. Furthermore, my erections are very strong and my "sexual capacity" and drive, if you will, is something I am proud about. I am the kind to believe healthy, good sex in a relationship is key to maintaining it. So you can imagine that the last thing I want is to reach a point in finasteride usage where I have trouble keeping an erection or even getting one - there is a natural shame and horror to the thought of it.

So my question is, for those who have been on finasteride for a long time, how are you doing? Are sides inevitable, regardless of how minor, after years of finasteride usage? If you did get sides, how has it affected your sex life?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just FYI dairy and greasy products are not bad for you. That 1980s advice that you get 80% of your calories from grains and the rest from fruits and vegetables is outdated. Fat is good now.

Anyway I'm starting finasteride tomorrow morning. I've read so many horror stories, I share your pain, I'm mildly afraid of growing boobs, getting more fat in my thighs, getting a siren-y voice, or never getting another boner.

Ebony

Reaction score
Just FYI dairy and greasy products are not bad for you. That 1980s advice that you get 80% of your calories from grains and the rest from fruits and vegetables is outdated. Fat is good now.

Well there's no question that dairy is bad for your skin, I know this from experience. Regarding hair, I have read through the years that it's a highly inflammatory food.

Regarding greasy products, I don't see why you would say that they are "not bad for you".

RD03

Reaction score
finasteride for 2 years here and dutasteride on top of that on and off for about a year. My tits are normal, I'm still hairy and my d*ck still works like it did prior to meds.

It's finasteride... not a tranny drug, people who get sides are mainly paranoid puss*es that get placebo effect because they think about sides day and night.

My Doctor has never had a patient with side effects.

Ebony

Reaction score
finasteride for 2 years here and dutasteride on top of that on and off for about a year. My tits are normal, I'm still hairy and my d*ck still works like it did prior to meds.

It's finasteride... not a tranny drug, people who get sides are mainly paranoid puss*es that get placebo effect because they think about sides day and night.

I hear that often, people going on and off the drug. Why do users keep doing that, particularly on this board, when they know the effects of stopping the treatment?

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score

Can you explain the dutasteride part? Did you decide to temporary switch to dutasteride or did you add it to the finasteride temporarily? Do you cycle on it?

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well there's no question that dairy is bad for your skin, I know this from experience. Regarding hair, I have read through the years that it's a highly inflammatory food.

Regarding greasy products, I don't see why you would say that they are "not bad for you".

People who cut fat out of their diet completely could be doing more harm then good. Obviously a very high fat diet isn't good but it's a medical fact that you need some fat in your diet.

Sweeping

Reaction score
LOL, are sides inevitable? The chance of you getting sides is equal to the chance of you actually developing a brain, which is pretty low. Stop being a little girl and just take the damn pill if you want to save your hair.

br1

Reaction score
took it for 13yrs.. never had an issue.. took a break and now i`m back on it.

Ebony

Reaction score
LOL, are sides inevitable? The chance of you getting sides is equal to the chance of you actually developing a brain, which is pretty low. Stop being a little girl and just take the damn pill if you want to save your hair.

You say I lack a brain for being cautious and asking for the experiences of long-term finasteride users, yet you are the idiot who chooses to blatantly ignore the many cases of finasteride side effects and tells people to go on it blindly.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 and a half years with minoxidil, no side effects afaik. If there have been sides, they must have been very minor... I've met women, most of them because they liked my hair, and I've managed to keep it up.

Ebony

Reaction score
2 and a half years with minoxidil, no side effects afaik. If there have been sides, they must have been very minor... I've met women, most of them because they liked my hair, and I've managed to keep it up.

It's good to see positive experiences thus far. How much finasteride do you take daily?

RD03

Reaction score
I hear that often, people going on and off the drug. Why do users keep doing that, particularly on this board, when they know the effects of stopping the treatment?

I don't think it's often. In my case it had nothing to do with side effects, and I have only cycled dutasteride.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you explain the dutasteride part? Did you decide to temporary switch to dutasteride or did you add it to the finasteride temporarily? Do you cycle on it?

I first started out taking dutasteride 1 times a week, then bumbed it up to two and later three times a week. I thought my hair line was thinning out so when I ran out I stopped dutateride for a period. I then wanted to try the and test the full dose for a full year and see if the thinning was a sign of my hair improving (you know get bad first then better later).

I was always on finasteride and am still on finasteride since I get my finasteride from my doctor and dutasteride from the internet and want to stay safe.

RD03

Reaction score
As a new finasteride user, this is reassuring. Thanks guys.

No problem man. Finasteride is a very thoroughly studied drug. We've very long, very big and very detailed studies on its effects. You should always stick to these scientific and controlled studies and not listen to all the insane and anecdotal evidence that pops up on forums like this. You gotta understand that once people take finasteride, the paranoid ones especially, they will blame every single thing on finasteride. If they get hit by a car it's probably because finasteride blurred their vision or gave them "Brain fog" for a moment etc.