How Many Of You Had Better Results With Higher Percentages Of Minoxidil

What were your results with higher percentages of minoxidil when compared to the regular, 5% minoxidil?

• My results were same

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My results were worse

• I continued losing hair

• I maintained existing hair

• I regrew some hair

• Total voters

Gardy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The question is pretty obvious.
Let me just state my reason for asking it.
I'm a diffuse thinner who had a very nice response to 5% minoxidil last year. I already posted some photos of my hair in this thread - https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...working-on-only-one-part-of-the-scalp.120377/ - if you want to check it out. In just five months time I had some major regrowth.

But I feel the biggest problem I had was that finasteride wasn't being effective on my crown area so most of the newly grown hair simply fall off, like I mentioned in that thread.

To combat inefficient finasteride, I decided to try higher percentage of minoxidil. In October of 2018 I tried 7% minoxidil. Unfortunately, when applying it to my scalp, I would lose around 70 hairs which is significant increase compared to 35-50 hairs I would lose when applying 5% minoxidil (in both cases, hair that shed was mostly from crown area). I felt like 7% minoxidil is noticeably more oily and that was most likely why my hair reacted that way. I discontinued the usage after only about seven days and went back to 5%.

Meanwhile, even after 11 months of using it, finasteride continues not being able to stop my crown hairloss, so I decided to give 7% minoxidil another shot one month ago. I don't seem to react as badly to it this time. Obviously no results still.

So I'm interested if it is even worth it. I could have plateaued with 5% minoxidil and 7% might give me some additional regrowth, especially since I'm using Avodart now three times per week. Then again, it could destroy my hair even further.

That's why I'm making this thread. I haven't found much information on the internet about higher minoxidil percentages, and experiences that I encountered while reading this forum were varying mostly between bad and maintaining existing hair or same result as 5%. Not much people reported some major regrowth or better results in comparison with regular minoxidil.

Whatever option you choose, please elaborate what percentage you took, how did it help you / fail you, and some other information you consider necessary.

I feel that higher minoxidil percentages haven't been paid their due attention enough, at least when it comes to having some results of it's users in one place.

Please combine choosing one of the first three answers with one of last three answers.

Hopefully this thread isn't a bust lol.

Gardy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, let me just say one more thing: my dermatologists told me that I should take 7% minoxidil for about 1-2 months, than go back to 5% for about 1-2 months, than back to 7% etc.
Has anyone been told the same? Or is it just my crazy dermatologist?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil is dose-dependent , so higher % means better results but also more side effects. Probably the switch from 5 to 7% caused a shedding in your case..you should wait more time and it will regrowth stroger..
And your dermatologist is crazy, no sense to do that.

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't believe that higher % concentrations make a difference, you can just apply 5% to damp but not wet hair for better absorption and using a dermaroller, maybe every 2 weeks.

The half life of minoxidil is 22 hours, so you only really need to apply it once per day in my opinion. If you're diffuse you need to use more i.e. 2 ml front, 2 ml back - you do need good coverage. If you just receding or a spot at the back then, just 2ml will cut it.