How many of you had actually LONG/styled hair before your hair loss started?

Do you wear your hear long and is it styled" or not?

• Long, not styled

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Long, styled (ponytails/styling products)

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

GoodHurr

Reaction score
I'm trying to grow my hair out into dreads, so obviously losing hair is an impediment to that. But I've always had my hair slightly long so I could style it/hairspray it into a greaser pompadour or some sort of mousse/styling product. Hair to me wasn't just hair, it was part of my overall style and I took pride in it. And if you had longer hair, how did you style it? Ponytail or just leave it down? Did you use styling products?

daredevil14

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have waist-length curly hair and I usually wear it in a ponytail in public as it is (I sometimes wear it in a bun or a half-up style for public but always down at home), no styling, just as it was conditioned & oiled in the shower.

Although I am only a NW2 (bald temples) which wouldn't affect the general appearance and volume of my hair (since I part my hair in the middle so those bald temples are well covered), I suffer from retrograde alopecia; thin sides, behind the ears and a receding neckline, this has greatly affected my overall hair volume and it's like that I currently have 70% of my original thickness which translates into thin curls and a thin ponytail.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had shoulder length hair with a side parted fringe before hair loss. I miss it terribly. Currently growing it back out after 5 years of shaving it.

GoodHurr

Reaction score
I had shoulder length hair with a side parted fringe before hair loss. I miss it terribly. Currently growing it back out after 5 years of shaving it.

Sounds similar to how I used to wear it. Whenever I try to get my bangs/fringe to cover my forehead, it never covers it as fully as it used to.

daredevil14

Established Member
Reaction score
I read that the hair on the very sides of your head aren't really prone to things like DHT-related hair loss. Maybe try supplementing. Were you ever a vegetarian in the past?

Hugely debatable, read my entry above. I have thin sides (miniaturized, small individual hairs that won't grow long) and a receding (v) neckline, I have yet to find the real reason behind it... I am 8 months now into finasteride and 5 months into minoxidil, nothing seems to help with those "weird areas"... my hair is intact elsewhere (except bald temples).