How many of you cut your own base? Recommend it or have hair supplier do it?

What do you do

• I cut it on my own

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I have my supplier like Lavivid/Lordhair do it

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I have it done by a professional at a Salon

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of trying it, basically doing the saran wrap + tape tutorial on YouTube and then putting that under the system to cut it -- it seems very simple. But I'm nervous about messing up the cut and throwing a 300 dollar product down the drain. Did anyone do good the first time? Mess up their first time? Any tips?

Debating on either doing that or send in the mold via saran wrap to Lavivid or Lordhair so they can cut it in for 15-20 bucks. Beats spending 300 at the Salon for them to do so...

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've only had the company or salon where I bought it do it.

I can't afford to f*** up a hair system when I first get it,especially without a job.
And having to pay for it out my savings,benefits.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Seems a strange risk to take on something that won't save you very much money.

In terms of salon you save more than $200. In terms of the supplier yeah thats not a bad deal, just apprehensive due to messing up the template or drawing the hairline to send to them

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think the supplier is going to trace the contour of your template too precisely. More likely, they're going to measure your template and trim the base to those approximate dimensions.

Also, salons typically charge $10-20 for this, not $200.

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only trust my stylist when it comes to base cut. A bit hesitant to let supplier do it and I don't trust my skills either.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I only trust my stylist when it comes to base cut. A bit hesitant to let supplier do it and I don't trust my skills either.
Your stylist cuts your base? While it's on your head or off? How did you get them to do it? How could I ask for something like this from a random hairdresser?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
While it's on your head or off?

LOL

I def wouldn't ask a random hairdresser who hasn't done it before for this service.

I couldn't figure out how to do this without cutting the hair for the longest time . I was pinning the piece to a foam head upside down with the hair directed away from the perimiter, and pinning down the inverted template on top of it.

Now I trace the template with an eyeliner or a dry erase marker or w/e and make little incisions with an exacto knife in one hand, and the piece in the other. ***Not on or against any surface.***

it takes 5 mins and comes out perfect every time.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can use a surface for tension just make sure there's nothing but air directly behind where you're making an incision, and reposition it as necessary, if that makes sense.

Hard to explain. I should draw a diagram

But that's been the key that's made this super easy, where it used to be something i dreaded or preferred to delegate.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think the supplier is going to trace the contour of your template too precisely. More likely, they're going to measure your template and trim the base to those approximate dimensions.

Also, salons typically charge $10-20 for this, not $200.

I'd love for you to show me where I can get a system cut for 20 dollars in NYC. Everywhere I called for a cut-in stated they cant just cut it for you, they have to install it as well and do the whole service and that is minimum 350 in NYC. If I get it cut from supplier or do it myself I can now apply it myself and get a haircut for 50-75 dollars. That's why I said you save a lot of money doing it.

So yeah let me know where in NYC I can find a salon to do it for 20. It aint happening in NYC but I'd love to be wrong.

Also Lavivid told me that they would prefer a template over giving them dimensions for an accurate cut of the base. If they would just measure it I do not know why they'd ask to send one in. What are you basing that theory off of?

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your stylist cuts your base? While it's on your head or off? How did you get them to do it? How could I ask for something like this from a random hairdresser?
Definitely not a random hairdresser for sure. The salon in my area does installation for hair system as well. The base cut is included with the installation service. I do my own maintenance though. The stylist has my template so she cut it on a wig stand.

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL

I def wouldn't ask a random hairdresser who hasn't done it before for this service.

I couldn't figure out how to do this without cutting the hair for the longest time . I was pinning the piece to a foam head upside down with the hair directed away from the perimiter, and pinning down the inverted template on top of it.

Now I trace the template with an eyeliner or a dry erase marker or w/e and make little incisions with an exacto knife in one hand, and the piece in the other. ***Not on or against any surface.***

it takes 5 mins and comes out perfect every time.
It is good to know. My supplier has a video showing how to cut poly base, I am not sure if I should give it a try

How do you think ?

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I have to, I'll cut it. But I'd rather just pay for the convenience of having my supplier do it.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If I have to, I'll cut it. But I'd rather just pay for the convenience of having my supplier do it.

Do you send in your template to them or do you just give them a length by width size for a general cut? I assume you find the cut-in by them accurate

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah, it's easier and better to cut it yourself. It's a doddle to do, and if you learn how to DIY with your hair systems you have more control and it costs less.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thinsystem@1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
My first system base was cut by the hair stylist that provided the system, and after that I decided to give it a try. I watched hours of videos and finally attempted it...I did ok, but there was always a fear of messing the system up. 2 years later I decided to give Curtis a try and ordered a system from him, (I think) I paid $25 more and he cut the base. The base was cut perfectly and you couldn't see it... I literally combed my hair straight back and you couldn't see a hint of the base material.