how many mg should i take?

Reaction score
my doctor put me on proscar, and said to take 1/4 of a pill (1.25mg) a day. It seems like almost no one does this. should i do what he says or take 1mg a day instead to save money? I'm 17 if that makes any difference.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
hairisthinning said:
my doctor put me on proscar, and said to take 1/4 of a pill (1.25mg) a day. It seems like almost no one does this. should i do what he says or take 1mg a day instead to save money? I'm 17 if that makes any difference.

Your doctor is a smart man. It's much cheaper to use Proscar (as opposed to Propecia... the same active ingredient, finasteride).

Reaction score
sorry, i didn't clarify that well. i meant should i still take 1mg of proscar (cut it into 5ths). and yeah my derm seems pretty cool since i didnt even ask him if i could go on proscar instead :p

Aplunk1

Reaction score
It doesn't matter, 1.25mg or 1mg... The difference in DHT inhibition is very minimal.

In your case, it really comes down to convenience. If your strapped for cash and want to make your Proscar extend a little further, then cut it into 1/5's. But, I just take mine in 1/4's, and so do most Proscar, users for that matter.

G

hairisthinning said:
yeah my dad's paying for it right now so i guess i'll take it in fourths until i have to pay! lol

Save your dad some money and cut it into 5ths. Whatever is your parents' now will one day be yours in the future, so might as well scrape where you can! :)

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Listen

Better listen to your doctor.
He did not spend 7 years in medical school for nothing :D