How many hairs do you lose in the shower?

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Alright, I just washed my hair for the first time in 3 days in the shower and damn near fainted when I looked at my hands after shampooing - there was atleast 30 hairs matted to each of them! And that's not even counting the ones I lost while rinsing or ones that didn't end up on my hands. All in all I'd say I lost a good 100 hairs in there.

Now, the only reason I'm not freaking *too much* is because it has been 3 days since I put my head under the shower faucet, so I'm sure there's been a buildup of other loose hairs from the past few days. But still....I don't think I've ever seen that many hairs come off my head at one time before.

How many do you guys usually see come off in the shower? Does it still freak you out everytime or are you used to it?

saviomilbratz

Reaction score
actually, i'm experiencing the same thing

I think that each day in the past three days, i lost as many as 150 hairs in the shower!! My hands turned almost black!!

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
This might shock some, but I don't actually count my hairs in the shower :freaked2: .

s.a.f

Reaction score
I've said it a million times before .... look at whats on your head not whats in the plughole. :roll:

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
I think everyones hair falls out at different rates. But I noticed a huge difference between the time where I first started balding, to when I was on propecia, to not being on propecia anymore.

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
we have white desks at work....

im always paranoid about seeing my sheded hairs on the white desktop, if i see the odd one i brush it off...

Today i was sat there and i noticed one... then another... then another... christ, my desk was full of hairs.... Then i remembered i wasnt sat at my own desk today, as i was working on a coleages computer that as the software i needed to use... He is a NW1 and as no male pattern baldness whatsoever, they were all his hairs... proof for me we all shed, regardless of male pattern baldness

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea.. The difference is, and I do the same thing. I always notice shedded hairs, at my desk, wherever. The difference though is that The hairs I notice are usually very thin ones, very brittle, Little DHT infected hairs. So not the exact same since some of those hairs won't be coming back.

ali777

Reaction score
less than 10....

if i dont shower for 2-3 days, it goes up.

I cant really distinguish between my body hair and head hair. I think I shed more body hair than head hair. So I only look at hair that is at least 2" long, and ignore all the shorter ones.

To be honest, I think I used to shed more when I was a kid. So, shedding hasn't really been a problem for me.

lazarus

Reaction score
Back before I even realized I was losing my hair (strangely enough), I noticed I was losing a lot of hair in the shower. So much so, in fact, that the shower drain got plugged and I could see a sea of hair floating on top of the water, now building up in the tub. After that, I would put gel in my hair and the palms of my hands would be so covered with hair I would look like the wolfman and have to wash them off. This happened every day.

I also used to spend a lot of time at my computer desk which was approx. 6 inches out from the wall at the side. Over the course of 8 months that space beside my desk became absolutely FILLED with hair, enough to fill a shopping bag. I would estimate now that I was probably losing something like 1000 hairs a day, and that's no joke.

At the time, my hair never really looked any worse, although I recall being mildly alarmed but quickly chalked it up to:

a) stress
b) i had grown my hair long and was convinced it was just easier to see the hair i was losing than before

The loss eventually tapered off to a normal level although I don't recall when, it wasn't until a few years later that I jumped on finasteride when it became obvious I was in deep doodoo. However, had all of that loss been genuine male pattern baldness, I would barely have a stitch of hair left on my head, but most of it regrew normally. There are a number of possible reasons for loss, seasonal, hormonal, cyclical, so counting hairs can be a poor indicator of the level of your male pattern baldness.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i love the guys on here who are like "oh yea man i shed like 5 hairs dude"
PLEASE. your full of sh*t or youre only seeing what you want to see. if you shed 5 hairs in a shower, you would never think you were going bald and youd have no reason to be on this site.

i know the truth. you glance at your hands and estimate or you take a quick glance at the drain. we both know if you took the time to count or really study your hands after a nice long stroke on semi-wet hair, youre losing more.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Its impossible to know...stop wasting your time. Its normal to lose hairs everyday whether you're going bald or not.

Was there really a need to bring common sense into this.... How can we whimper and complain in the face of such logic.... I wonder if vulcans ever went bald..

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Eureka said:
Its impossible to know...stop wasting your time. Its normal to lose hairs everyday whether you're going bald or not.

Was there really a need to bring common sense into this.... How can we whimper and complain in the face of such logic.... I wonder if vulcans ever went bald..

Not Spock! :woot:

photo_004599.jpg

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn you Nimoy!

... I don't think I've ever seen any Balding Vulcans.... I'm sure I've seen almost all the episodes... Damn them and their genetically superior selves...

Kirk lost it though... but yet not really.. magically it never really left... must have been some of that 24th century technology :roll:

templemonk

Established Member
Reaction score
it seems like i ONLY lose hairs from my temples and front area. i try to pull my hairs around the sides and the top/crown area but i don't see a single hair. but when apply hair wax around temple or frontal area, i lose 20 plus hairs just by touching them softly.. my shed is lasting over 3 months. this doesnt look like it's gonna stop anytime soon.