How Many Grafts Would I Need For My First Transplant?

baldandafraid94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I posted this in the Hair Loss section, but it's probably a better idea to post it here.

I'm pretty far gone, but I'm looking into getting a hair transplant. I haven't used anything like finasteride or minoxidil (and probably feeling the consequences now), but I feel I'm too far gone to start now. Also could I just buy those pills online or do I need them prescribed?

I emailed one place and they suggested 1500 grafts which seems way too low. I realize I need multiple transplants, but would it be possible for me to just restore the front during my first transplant and then go back later to fill in the rest?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 414

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not an expert, but obviously not less than 4000 grafts, probably 5000.

baldandafraid94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I've seen people with less hair than me get less grafts than you suggested. Does the amount of grafts depend on the person at all?

shookwun

Reaction score
5000 would be a good estimate

2 split fue procedures

1 fut. Depending on donor some I have seen upwards of 4500 strip cases from h&w

Or 1 fut, and fue at the same time

baldandafraid94

My Regimen
Reaction score
5000 would be a good estimate

2 split fue procedures

1 fut. Depending on donor some I have seen upwards of 4500 strip cases from h&w

Or 1 fut, and fue at the same time

So are you saying 5000 grafts in total, spread across 2 procedures? or 5000 grafts in both procedures? You're saying I'll need 5000 to fill in the front area right?

I'm pretty sure the place I'm going to for a consultation next month suggested FUE. Would FUT benefit me more at all? I know it leaves a scar.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Based only on that one pic it is hard to say much other than 3500 for the frontal area, plus whatever more you want to cover the crown area. I would start with 3000 to 3500 in the first procedure.

You also need to get on finasteride, one of the hair transplant doctors should prescribe it for you. Get the generic as it will save what you have left.

You are not too far gone, but better got on finasteride asap.

shookwun

Reaction score
So are you saying 5000 grafts in total, spread across 2 procedures? or 5000 grafts in both procedures? You're saying I'll need 5000 to fill in the front area right?

I'm pretty sure the place I'm going to for a consultation next month suggested FUE. Would FUT benefit me more at all? I know it leaves a scar.

Do you have any photos of your donor area?

doesn't look like you have enough grafts to cover the top through FUE. All though I do believe you can sacrifice the crown for adequate coverage at the front.

A thin crown with reasonable density at the front is the only viable way I can see you having a decent transplant result. Anything less and you run the risk of having a see through scalp all over, versus reasonable coverage at the front, and a thin crown.

outside of that, I don't believe you are a good candidate for hair restoration. Your entire scalp is thin where hair remains, and there is no solid foundation underlying the area where you will be transplanting. Further running the risk of shock loss to surrounding hairs, that are on there way out anyway.

I would seek multiple opinions from credible doctors, then tally the outcome. The best approach would be to cancel this procedure, and get on finasteride for the next six months, and afterwards reevaluate your situation from there.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 x 2250 or 1 x 4500

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think around 6000 grafts you will need after looking at your photos.

You seem to have pattern baldness with hair thinning. Also, your frontal hairline is diminished and it will require more work.

As shookwun suggested, I would like to ask you that have you considered any hair loss prevention treatment so far & when you started experiencing hair loss. It will help you a little bit to determine whether your baldness and hair thinning are stabilised or not. Once, that is confirmed then & then hair transplant will work in your case. Also, candidacy depends on many factors such as the cause of hair loss & eventual baldness, as mentioned, stability or maturity of baldness i.e. is it progressing or not. Then, your willingness to take medications after hair transplant (this also matters a lot, as my experience with patients tell me). Then, the donor area strength - in many patients who require more than 5000 grafts, body hairs, usually beard hairs are also taken . & the most important your expectation after a hair transplant. For sure, if you aim to have a celeb like hairs then, of course, it is not possible. You must have realistic expectations.

Also, in the last, I would like to tell you that you have to take medications after hair transplant to preserve the whatever is there and whatever you are going to transplant there. I have also done my hair transplant 2 years back and have all the hairs successfully and regularly taking the medications.

Please also, post your photos here & let me see how can I help you.

Thanks

baldandafraid94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think around 6000 grafts you will need after looking at your photos.

You seem to have pattern baldness with hair thinning. Also, your frontal hairline is diminished and it will require more work.

As shookwun suggested, I would like to ask you that have you considered any hair loss prevention treatment so far & when you started experiencing hair loss. It will help you a little bit to determine whether your baldness and hair thinning are stabilised or not. Once, that is confirmed then & then hair transplant will work in your case. Also, candidacy depends on many factors such as the cause of hair loss & eventual baldness, as mentioned, stability or maturity of baldness i.e. is it progressing or not. Then, your willingness to take medications after hair transplant (this also matters a lot, as my experience with patients tell me). Then, the donor area strength - in many patients who require more than 5000 grafts, body hairs, usually beard hairs are also taken . & the most important your expectation after a hair transplant. For sure, if you aim to have a celeb like hairs then, of course, it is not possible. You must have realistic expectations.

Also, in the last, I would like to tell you that you have to take medications after hair transplant to preserve the whatever is there and whatever you are going to transplant there. I have also done my hair transplant 2 years back and have all the hairs successfully and regularly taking the medications.

Please also, post your photos here & let me see how can I help you.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I know my hair loss is severe. By 6000 grafts, do you mean in total or just to fill in the frontal area? Also, would those 6000 need to be done in one procedure or 2 different procedures?

I have very realistic expectations. I really just want the hair in the front to be thicker. I'm not looking for long hair that I can style.

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
6000 grafts will be sufficient for your hair transplant & to cover the whole scalp. Around 1000-1500 grafts will be used in your frontal hairline creation. It can be done in a single procedure & 2 days (4-5 sessions ). It good to hear that you are aware of results and have realistic expectations. let me know if you need any thing else.