How many grafts to fill a NW5 top to even satisfactory level

s.a.f

Reaction score
I was a slick NW6 and got butchered 3 Times with my first 3 hair transplant's!!!
I currently have about 5000 - 6000 grafts ontop but I still believe that if I could have gone to a decent surgeon from the off I could have got a good result from about 7000 - 8000 grafts (which is typical available donor) . I would'nt hesitate to do it all again if I could turn back the clock and not make the same mistakes with choosing terrible surgeons.
If you go with the best names out there they can dramaticly improve things for you and NW5/6 guys dont expect perfection they are going to be happy with a good NW2 which is entirely possible.
Poor density is only an issue with bad surgeons.

s.a.f

Reaction score
But people dont go around studying other peoples hair or scruitinzing density, they just see hair or no hair. Especialy on guys over 30, unless you've got 1980's style dolls hair plugs or cornrows which even the worst guys have progressed beyond these days then you should get a decent improvement.
My density is terrible probably about 30% but a sprinkle of Nanogen makes a huge difference, I wish I did'nt have to rely on it but ... heyits not great of course I'd like to have a typical non m.p.b head of hair but the 4 years I spent as a 'sly guy'/ Luekimia patient/benjamin button lookalike were sheer hell.
When I walk into a room people dont see a bald guy anymore. You've got to realise that joe public are not Norwood spotters like we are, if they look at it they see a guy with some hairloss and generally bad hair but thats all.
There are plenty of celebrities with terrible hair transplant's if you know what you're looking for but to the general public they're just balding men.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
heyits not great of course I'd like to have a typical non m.p.b head of hair but the 4 years I spent as a 'sly guy'/ Luekimia patient/benjamin button lookalike were sheer hell.
When I walk into a room people dont see a bald guy anymore.

Are you really that ugly (Benjamin Button look a like) or is that only your own perception? I mean it's bad, it truly is bad to be NW4-5 at a young age, but if you just keep the sides cropped short I don't think many of us would look like monsters. Or were you picked on about it all the time, did everyone let you know that you're inferior or something? I mean, I'm crushed about my male pattern baldness but it's mostly because I have other (bad) genetic flaws and this is just icing on the cake. There's only so much that one person can handle. But if I could fix only one of my 3 big problems, it wouldn't be hairloss. Unfortunately all of my problems are basically unfixable, so I just have to try and live with them, no matter how hard it is.

nw_2

Reaction score
If I shave my head, than you can see the difference between my native hair and my transplants too (crown/temples). The difference is not huge but the density is about 80%. Believe it or not, sometimes I 'wished' my native hair on top of my head had the same density as my transplants. I even wanted to quit using propecia. A shaved head looks nicer when it has the same density everywhere IMO. :)

When my hair is a little longer, about 2/3 cm than I'm just a Norwood 1,5/2 guy with no siginificant hairloss at all. I was sitting somewhere beteen a nw3 vertex/nw4 and I've had over 5000 grafts now. According to my Doctor I still have 5000 left.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
80% density is great IMO. If I was guaranteed even 60% I wouldn't hesitate to get a hair transplant. Do you have any before/after pics and do you have to use a concealer?

s.a.f

Reaction score
ghg said:
Are you really that ugly (Benjamin Button look a like) or is that only your own perception? I mean it's bad, it truly is bad to be NW4-5 at a young age, but if you just keep the sides cropped short I don't think many of us would look like monsters. Or were you picked on about it all the time, did everyone let you know that you're inferior or something? I mean, I'm crushed about my male pattern baldness but it's mostly because I have other (bad) genetic flaws and this is just icing on the cake. There's only so much that one person can handle. But if I could fix only one of my 3 big problems, it wouldn't be hairloss. Unfortunately all of my problems are basically unfixable, so I just have to try and live with them, no matter how hard it is.

Thats how I felt, I'm a slim pale guy with a babyish face so the bald look does'nt suit me at all. I kept it buzzed down of course but that just makes your head stand out even more.
I was a guy in his mid 20's (supposedly) the prime of life but my hair was that of a man you'd expect to be nearing the end of his life. Of course I stood out from the normal 20something and yeah that made me feel inferior. To me its pretty much the same as being a NW1 in his 20's but with the wrinkles of a 70 yr old.
And at least a NW4/5 has something ontop to break up that wide expanse of skin a NW6 is just like a big egg.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Thats how I felt, I'm a slim pale guy with a babyish face so the bald look does'nt suit me at all. I kept it buzzed down of course but that just makes your head stand out even more.
I was a guy in his mid 20's (supposedly) the prime of life but my hair was that of a man you'd expect to be nearing the end of his life. Of course I stood out from the normal 20something and yeah that made me feel inferior. To me its pretty much the same as being a NW1 in his 20's but with the wrinkles of a 70 yr old.
And at least a NW4/5 has something ontop to break up that wide expanse of skin a NW6 is just like a big egg.

It feels like you think too much about these things. And that's probably a common thing on this forum, I think about them too much too. Everyone here makes it sound like he's the only ones dealing with balding. Just today at work I have seen many customers who are balder than I, and probably about the same age or younger. Dunno why hairloss is such a problem for some of us... like me.

s.a.f

Reaction score
ghg said:
It feels like you think too much about these things. And that's probably a common thing on this forum, I think about them too much too. Everyone here makes it sound like he's the only ones dealing with balding. Just today at work I have seen many customers who are balder than I, and probably about the same age or younger. Dunno why hairloss is such a problem for some of us... like me.

Those guys probably hate it too. But your right I think everyone on here who joins up and posts reglarly probably has some kind of issue with their self image. But then again this is something that most people dont have to think about so who knows if its not perfectly normal to be bothered by it.

bor83

Reaction score
dudemon said:
First of all, congradulations to the guy in the pics for getting such an exceptional result from an hair transplant.

However, I HATE to say it, but if I had to guess, I'd bet he's wearing a little Toppik. There is no way you can get that kind of density from 3,500 grafts. No way.

I've seen guys with way more grafts than that, who are like "spokespersons" for their hair transplant clinic, and they don't even have that good of density. Not even close to it!

IMO, the guy in the pic is either:
1) Wearing a concealer
2) Had WAY more than 3,500 grafts
3) An exceptionally unusual case, who was able to get astonishing results from such a relatively small procedure. Only one out of 10,000 guys who get hair transplant's can ever hope to even come close to this level of density.

This is NOT the norm. From what I have seen, most results (almost all) will have nowhere near that good of density from TWICE as many grafts.

So, in that sense, those pics are kind of deceptive, IMO. For the average NW5, to expect results like that is unrealistic. If you did expect results like that, you'd be setting yourself up for a big letdown.

I completely agree. No way you can get that result with 3,500 grafts. Beware of photos. Even the top clinics have very deceptive pictures. It is crucial to meet patients in person! Find them on the boards and not ones that are recommend (paid) by the clinics.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
LooseItAll said:
http://www.tmhairrestoration.com/graft_calculator/gc.html

Lol yeah, I might aswell forget hair transplant... I could get a 30% coverage on top with about 4000 grafts, which is way too few to bother IMO.