How many grafts to fill a NW5 top to even satisfactory level

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering what could I expect if I was to get a FUE with 3,500 grafts to fill the top part of my head? My head is kinda narrow on top and the balding area is quite narrow too... I was thinking about leaving the crown untreated and only fill the top. I think I could live with crown baldness if the top was thick enough to grow out even a bit. Could 3,500 grafts give a satisfactory result or would I need more? I was thinking about getting the FUE at Prohairclinic in Belgium, just like the user wesleyBelgium did... he had like a little over 2000 grafts to fill his hairline and crown and it looked very thick!

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
If it is slick bald the no. it you still have some native hair there, then yes. Altho I've seen a fantastic result from ********. The guy was a NW5 and had only 3500 grafts placed and his hair looked thick and natural NW2.5 post transplant.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
LooseItAll said:
If it is slick bald the no. it you still have some native hair there, then yes.

It's not slick yet... but I think it's all gonna fall in the near future.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Id say think about it. You will need touch ups. If you are ok with that then go for it.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
The guy had the frontal 2/3 covered not the whole area and he wasnt cue bald in the crown, just thinning. I will post some pics later.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but some folks have much wider and longer heads than others and the width of the balding area can vary too.

s.a.f

Reaction score
ghg said:
Yeah but some folks have much wider and longer heads than others and the width of the balding area can vary too.

So do hair shaft calibre sizes. and hair characteristics. Also it depends on what your expectations are.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
ghg said:

So do hair shaft calibre sizes. and hair characteristics. Also it depends on what your expectations are.

That's true. But all in all it sounds like hair transplant is not for me.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it does look good. How many grafts did he have?

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
3446 grafts

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I know that pics are deceptive. Even I can take pictures that would show a virtually full head of hair although I have been thinning on top for 5-6 years and it's pretty bad.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
Yeah I know that pics are deceptive. Even I can take pictures that would show a virtually full head of hair although I have been thinning on top for 5-6 years and it's pretty bad.

Hi I dont mean to be rude, but please take on board what people are saying. I know you want to hear that you will get a good head of hair, but in reality I dont think its possible, and certainly not to the extent where it wont look a bit crappy and fake.

Its your head of course, but i'm not sure you'll find many people on here who would encourage you to go ahead with it.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't that what I was telling you? That pics can be deceptive alright. I'll probably drop the whole idea of a transplant...

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
Isn't that what I was telling you? That pics can be deceptive alright. I'll probably drop the whole idea of a transplant...

Sorry I didn't get that from your post... Yeah hard as it is to give up on an idea, I think you are making the right choice :)

Reaction score
Dudemon-- You are one of the most knowledgable, yet cynical posters on this board. I know your story, yet I havent seen photos. can you post some?

People come on here for encouraging help. Looking in the mirror when losing hair is discouraging enough. I know you are trying to prevent people from going through what you went through, that is clear.

But, everytime I read one of your posts, you seem more bitter and cynical and skeptical. I have a few friends whose lives were changed for the extreme better because of an hair transplant.

Once in a while, use your knowledge to encourage people. I dont need a reply about how you know how bad things can get...your previous posts are heavily concentrated with that rhetoric.

My point is, your guarantees and glass half empty posts are tiring and they ruin peoples moods and hope in a process that can be, yes it can be, a wonderful improvement for many.

And, post pics please.

PW

nw_2

Reaction score
Here pictures of a person who was a NW5.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 951
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 659
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 717
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 711

nw_2

Reaction score
Possible, I dont know him.

Fact remains, you can get a good result if you are a Norwood 5, even if you are forced to use a little toppik. The guy is lucky but its not that from 10.000 people only one person will get this result.

You think Norwood 5 is the limit and I think if you are a Norwood 6 than a transplant is useless. With a Norwood 5 there are still options left.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
nw_2 said:
Possible, I dont know him.

Fact remains, you can get a good result if you are a Norwood 5, even if you are forced to use a little toppik. The guy is lucky but its not that from 10.000 people only one person will get this result.

You think Norwood 5 is the limit and I think if you are a Norwood 6 than a transplant is useless. With a Norwood 5 there are still options left.

If my loss really follows my mothers pattern (like it seems), I'll never be a NW6. But who knows? At the moment it looks like my thinning area is pretty narrow, like a NW5 and crown thinning isn't very bad yet. But yeah, that guy had amazing results! If I was guaranteed even close to that kinda results, I'd get like 4000 grafts ASAP. And I agree that the 04.jpg pic looks like topik, but 03.jpg doesn't.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Dudemon. Don't you think that if you weren't butchered by those first two hair transplant, you would have now decent coverage?

Another thing. NW5+ may be a bit too much, but you can always decide to leave a small/medium size crown ungrafted to save some grafts. Or treat the crown with BHT. Beard hair does a good job at least for many.