How many grafts do you think my hairline needs. with pics.

calgary2800

Reaction score
I've been having serious hairline issues the last 2 years. I have given up the fight and have decided to go for a hair transplant. I dont have the funds to pay for it all and will be paying monthly on a credit cards. Yeah, that parts hurts a ton. :sobbing:

Anyway, I am just 100% sick of my hairline and will be going up to Vancouver to see what Dr. Wong has to say at Hansson and Wong.

So in your view, how many grafts do I need? I am thinking the doctor will say 1500-2000 grafts.

s.a.f

Reaction score
It depends on how much you donor you want to use ie have you got your hairloss under control/halted?
I can say that you appear to be an excellent candidate though. Although your recession is highly visible you still have a full head of hair in the 2nd and 3rd zones.
It all depends on wether you want to be conservative and go for a good nw2 or go all out for a low nw1. Whichever way 2500-3500 would get you a great result IMO.

theanimator

Reaction score
Just taking a guess, but I would want at least 3000 grafts if I were in your shoes. I would probably take whatever the maximum you can have for a single session is. I don't know if Hasson & Wong negotiate prices, but you should always ask if they give discounts for a flexible schedule, or out of country discounts. They may even give price breaks for the more grafts you get.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Armani will tell u you need 4000 while Dr. Feller probabily go much lower.

I personally will say 2500.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had 2500 and my recession wasn't as far so I would say about 3500+ grafts should do the job, I agree with s.a.f in terms of you being a good candidate however I am no expert.

Are you taking any meds? if not, I think it would be worth considering to try and slow down any further hairloss.

calgary2800

Reaction score
My appointment with Dr. Wong is in 2 weeks. I will let you guys know how many grafts to be happy. It might help as a reference for someone else with similar hairline loss.

bigmac

Reaction score
Good luck with your hair transplant not that you will need it going to one of the best.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Im not sure about grafts either I dont have experience with that. But what everyone else is saying seems reasonable. Good luck with hair transplant tho, make sure you post us some post hair transplant pics too :)

You're going to look 16 again! :jump:

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
calgary2800 said:
I've been having serious hairline issues the last 2 years. I have given up the fight and have decided to go for a hair transplant. I dont have the funds to pay for it all and will be paying monthly on a credit cards. Yeah, that parts hurts a ton. :sobbing:

Anyway, I am just 100% sick of my hairline and will be going up to Vancouver to see what Dr. Wong has to say at Hansson and Wong.

So in your view, how many grafts do I need? I am thinking the doctor will say 1500-2000 grafts.

2-27011.jpg

It matters where you want to put the hairline. Your hair is dark so it will also need more density. My guess is 4K for a hairline where your lowest hairs are right now. My advice is to get as many grafts as possible so maybe you can avoid a 2nd procedure in the near future

bigmac

Reaction score
About 3000 as it needs to blend in with your existing hair behind which looks to be quite dense.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Even 2000 would be enough to give him a acceptable result, remember people are not going to be be studying the density of his hair. If you have plenty of hair already (as he does) its easier to get a good result because people just look at your 'in general' and the top 2 thirds of your head are good already. A hair transplant is all about the illusion of hair and if you've still got most of your hair anyway the illusion is much simpler to achieve.

calgary2800

Reaction score
Guys, I have something I didnt tell you all. This past December I had a consult at the Seattle Hasson and Wong office. I was quoted 1500-1800 grafts. I however feel more comfortable with a talk with one of the doctors themselves so therefore I will take a trip up to Vancovuer. I've been very nervous about what the doctor will say since the difference between 1500-1800 to 2500-3000 grafts is pretty big ( price wise).

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Dude I honestly think you should just go for it. You only live once :) As someone already mentioned your hair seems to be really thick everywhere else but the frontal region. I think you should get as many grafts as you humanly can in the hairline to match the density of the surrounding hair. I think it will look great. On meds and at your age, i dont think your hairloss is going to progress suddenly leaving u balding behind your grafts. This may take 3-10 years to occur. By then there should be some other hairloss option available. Just my 2 cents.

s.a.f

Reaction score
calgary2800 said:
Guys, I have something I didnt tell you all. This past December I had a consult at the Seattle Hasson and Wong office. I was quoted 1500-1800 grafts. I however feel more comfortable with a talk with one of the doctors themselves so therefore I will take a trip up to Vancovuer. I've been very nervous about what the doctor will say since the difference between 1500-1800 to 2500-3000 grafts is pretty big ( price wise).
I did'nt even know H&W had another office, personally I would'nt listen to anyone other than mr Hassan or mr Wong themselves. You could simply send them the pic you've posted on here and I'm sure they could get a fairly good idea from that.

s.a.f

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Dude I honestly think you should just go for it. You only live once :) As someone already mentioned your hair seems to be really thick everywhere else but the frontal region. I think you should get as many grafts as you humanly can in the hairline to match the density of the surrounding hair. I think it will look great. On meds and at your age, i dont think your hairloss is going to progress suddenly leaving u balding behind your grafts. This may take 3-10 years to occur. By then there should be some other hairloss option available.
And what if you're wrong? :smack:

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
metalheaddude said:
Dude I honestly think you should just go for it. You only live once :) As someone already mentioned your hair seems to be really thick everywhere else but the frontal region. I think you should get as many grafts as you humanly can in the hairline to match the density of the surrounding hair. I think it will look great. On meds and at your age, i dont think your hairloss is going to progress suddenly leaving u balding behind your grafts. This may take 3-10 years to occur. By then there should be some other hairloss option available.
And what if you're wrong? :smack:

WTF? You only live once? Whatabout the afterlife in paradise? Would you seriously want to waste all your grafts in this life, and then live bald in eternity?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Even 2000 would be enough to give him a acceptable result, remember people are not going to be be studying the density of his hair. If you have plenty of hair already (as he does) its easier to get a good result because people just look at your 'in general' and the top 2 thirds of your head are good already. A hair transplant is all about the illusion of hair and if you've still got most of your hair anyway the illusion is much simpler to achieve.

Well so far he hasn't said where he wants his hairline so it's very hard to tell how many grafts without knowing that. He has a LOT of bald area to fill regardless and usually pictures don't tell the real story especially from the angles he gave us. We need a head down top shot and I bet that would show he is balding more than those pics lead us to believe. The hair behind the balding area looks real thick because you are comparing it to just that, a bald area.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
theanimator said:
Came accross this weblog of a guy who just got a hair transplant from Dr. Hasson. It might help give you some perspective on what kind of hairline and amount of grafts you can expect. http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=397

I would like to see head down top shots but I'm guessing they are very close as far as grafts go. The guy you referenced had 4K. I have no idea how he got a 1500-1800 quote from H+W unless he is going to keep his hairline VERY high.

calgary2800

Reaction score
I think the guy from H and W quoted 1500-1800 because I showed him a photo of me years ago with a full hairline and a naturally high hairline. I certainly dont want to go lower than my natural high hairline because I think it fits my features better.