How Many Grafts Do I Need? Fue Procedure

filipe85

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Happy 2018 to all!

I am 30 and I have decided to get a FUE for the first time. I slowly started losing my hair at 17/18 years, which indicates me that my baldness is progressing at a steady and more or less slow rate. At least it appears that way. I have a receding hairline, but on the crown everything seems okay. See the photos below!

But because it will not stop, I dont want a very low front line, because in 5/6 years I would need another procedure. Instead I would prefer a mid level hairline and some good density.

The donor area seems normal, with good density and strong hair.

So, how many grafts do you think I should be considering? Of course I am going to check with some doctors.

Attachments

• 20180105_233806.jpg
    20180105_233806.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 607
  • 20180105_234150.jpg
    20180105_234150.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 611
  • 20180105_234200.jpg
    20180105_234200.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 616
  • 20180105_234222.jpg
    20180105_234222.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 664

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
you haven't prevented your loss with medication, so you will KEEP losing hair. you ARE losing hair rather aggressively and you have no idea what your final pattern will be. once you lose more, the transplants will look odd and you will need more and more procedures.

filipe85

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have not used medication. What do you recommend? I have worries about secondary effects from finasterida, etc.

When i achieve severe baldeness i wll get another transplant or shave.

subterfuge

Reaction score
Looks to be similar to my hair loss, and i've been told I need about 3500 (i think HAIRS rather than grafts?) by Cosmedica in Turkey
Where are you based out of interest?
I want a travel/surgery buddy!! lol

filipe85

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes i believe so. 3500 grafts for our case would be irresponsible. Somewhere between 1500-2000 would be the case. Although I was hoping to get feedback from other people whom have researched or had transplants.

I am from Portugal, and expect to have cirurgy here. Where are you from? I believe there are 3 or 4 good doctors here with fair prices. If not, i would try Dr. Koray Erdogan in Istanbul

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes i believe so. 3500 grafts for our case would be irresponsible. Somewhere between 1500-2000 would be the case. Although I was hoping to get feedback from other people whom have researched or had transplants.

I am from Portugal, and expect to have cirurgy here. Where are you from? I believe there are 3 or 4 good doctors here with fair prices. If not, i would try Dr. Koray Erdogan in Istanbul

3000 grafts at least. No way in hell 1500 unless you want sh*t results. Also you ought to be on finasteride, I would outright say don't get a transplant if you're not on it.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
you are lucky , to keep a good vertex/crown with that amount of hairline recession !

filipe85

My Regimen
Reaction score
3000 grafts at least. No way in hell 1500 unless you want sh*t results. Also you ought to be on finasteride, I would outright say don't get a transplant if you're not on it.

3000 really? I dont want a very low line like my 18's. I would rather have a medium line and improve density on the middle. And still have "entries". Although smaller

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
3000 really? I dont want a very low line like my 18's. I would rather have a medium line and improve density on the middle. And still have "entries". Although smaller

Without lowering at all and still leaving a small amount of recession you would still need 2500-3000 grafts for an acceptable result, especially if you want to improve density on the middle.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've had two transplants for what it's worth. I have to agree with the other posters, 2000 isn't enough to give you a proper hairline with your deep recession. All you have is a central mowhawk and the rest has to be filled in. 1000 on both sides (total 2000) isn't enough for you. 1500 on each side would be my guess for a total of 3000. You need enough density up front so it looks good. If this was mid-scalp then you could have less density. But to go cheap on the hairline will be a big mistake.

Also go on finasteride, the price of which will pay for itself 100 times over compared to the cost of a future transplant.

filipe85

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am afraid to use 3000 now and be with few donor hairs later... how many donor hair does one average guy like me has?

I know the my current hair has a deep recession. But without pulling it back like in the photos, my hair has a good density and the side recessions are a bit disguised. You almost cannot tell it the front recession is that big.. it looks smaller

You use finasteride? Did it give you side effects?

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would try finasteride & minoxidil for 6 months before considering transplant at all! Even if you do get sides you can an always just stop taking the medication, only a small amount of people get sides (less than 5%) so its worth a go. You need to stabilize the hair loss otherwise using a limited donor area now will cause problems down the progression line.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
As others have already said, for a good result with decent density, you will likely need ~3,000 grafts.

It's difficult to judge just on the pictures but you have deep recession, and likely will have thinning in the frontal third that will need to be reinforced (perhaps behind the "island" of hair). Also, you may need to have the hairline slightly lowered, to make it proportionate to your face and your facial features, for symmetry, etc. Any good doctor will take all these factors into consideration.

On top of that doctors will generally want their patients to be on finasteride or dutasteride. If I was you, I'd hop on the meds now, while you research potential doctors since the waiting lists can be long.