How many follicles would cover a crown?

Theroadrunner

Reaction score
Hi I'm wondering, however very roughly, how many follicles would be required to cover a crown, on a reasonably large head?. And a 'follicle unit' is stated by transplant clinics, a unit refers to 2 or 3 hairs doesn't it?. I was completely bald there, but a combination of hormonal treatment and minoxidil have regrown, maybe 20%, however it's not going to get much better. I'm considering transplant's, but wondering how many I'd need?. The clinic will accept photos but said they won't be able to say how many follicular units I'll need. I'd just like a very rough idea, they charge E10 per unit. I'd appreciate help.

Thanks
K

Budskii

Reaction score
could we get some rough measurements? you will get a much more accurate answer that way

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
I would guess 1800-3000 from crown hair transplants that I’ve seen, however…

hair transplant area
Most people will require a follicular density of approximately 25 to 40 FU/cm2 for satisfactory coverage.

fine, straight hair = “see-through” result
coarse, curly, and large-caliber = "good coverage" result (even at lower density)

Donar area
>80 microns = thick hair shaft (good)
<60 microns = narrow hair (not so good)

1-2 hairs/FU = low natural density (not so good)
3-5 hairs/FU = high natural density (good)

Petchsky

Reaction score
The crown can be a bit of a black hole for grafts, 3500 would make it quite thick, but you have to think of how you use the rest of your doner area normally 8000-10,000 grafts...

But as above, there are hair characteristics to take in to account.

The Doctor, if he's worth his salt, will take all of this in to account.

Also I would do extensive research on the clinic or doctor that will be performing your surgery....there are a lot of dud doctors out there