How Many Adhesive/attachment Types Are There?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried the popular double sided tapes, which are a breeze to use but irritate my skin.

I've also tried Ghostbond (the water-based white), which I find to be a total nuisance to use.

Got2B Hair Gel works reasonably well, but can't be relied on in any serious way, and I'm not terribly interested in trying clear, acrylic glue.

What are my options?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is ghostbond a nuisance? I’ve heard the platinum one is the strongest.

Ghost bond is the easiest to use - you get plenty of setup time - you can see it, and it cures to be completely clear. But for me, and in this Texas sun, it breaks down really fast, seeps thru the lace, and my hairs just becomes this clumpy mess. Then since the bond it tacky again, it becomes a magnet for dust, and you can clearly see on my hairline where the mesh begins.

Since I moved to a Poly/Lace hybrid, I use double sided tape on the sides and back, and Devlin with the green label for the rest. Its very difficult to use, but seems to do the best for me.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a french lace unit w a poly perimeter.

Taping that perimetering w overlapping pieces takes no more 10 min., cures quickly & comes off cleanly.

Ghostbond would be easy for just the front hairline but I have to do a full bond with it.

If it were as easy as painting a layer or two on my poly perimeter, ya, it'd be easy to use. It'd be easier than tape. But it doesn't work like that - it has to applied to skin to create a strong bond.

It takes a long time to cure, it makes a mess when it melts - I just hate it.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a french lace unit w a poly perimeter.

Taping that perimetering w overlapping pieces takes no more 10 min., cures quickly & comes off cleanly.

Ghostbond would be easy for just the front hairline but I have to do a full bond with it.

If it were as easy as painting a layer or two on my poly perimeter, ya, it'd be easy to use. It'd be easier than tape. But it doesn't work like that - it has to applied to skin to create a strong bond.

It takes a long time to cure, it makes a mess when it melts - I just hate it.

It would take loads of dexterity which I don't have to paint multiple layers of adhesive to fit only under the poly rim around the back and sides. I don't know how the DIY guys manage it. I'm still waiting for my replacement piece (third time lucky?) but I'm getting more and more nervous about how complicated this process is sounding.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ghost bond is the easiest to use - you get plenty of setup time - you can see it, and it cures to be completely clear. But for me, and in this Texas sun, it breaks down really fast, seeps thru the lace, and my hairs just becomes this clumpy mess. Then since the bond it tacky again, it becomes a magnet for dust, and you can clearly see on my hairline where the mesh begins.

Since I moved to a Poly/Lace hybrid, I use double sided tape on the sides and back, and Devlin with the green label for the rest. Its very difficult to use, but seems to do the best for me.

How long does the taped bond last you typically? Does it stay attached when you shower and shampoo the hair, or do you shampoo the piece only after it's detached?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no issue with the tape whatsoever. Shower, shampoo - not an issue. Every three weeks, I have the unit removed. Clean the unit thoroughly - do the scalp treatments and put it back on.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would take loads of dexterity which I don't have to paint multiple layers of adhesive to fit only under the poly rim around the back and sides. I don't know how the DIY guys manage it. I'm still waiting for my replacement piece (third time lucky?) but I'm getting more and more nervous about how complicated this process is sounding.

On my unit the poly is horseshoe shaped from just behind the temple. We put tape on that. On the very top of my head where it lace - I do not attach that at all. It kind of floats free - then on the front we use bond. This has held up best. Since I don't have any bond or tape on the top of my head - I don't get the breakdown from adhesive (either tape or bond) seeping thru the bond into my hair. As for the front of the unit - I just do the regular maintenance on that myself. Its pretty easy.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no issue with the tape whatsoever. Shower, shampoo - not an issue. Every three weeks, I have the unit removed. Clean the unit thoroughly - do the scalp treatments and put it back on.

Thanks. It's good to hear that the tape lasts up to 3 weeks including showers/shampoos. Do you have the full attachment done at a salon or do you do it all yourself? I think I could handle the hairline maintenance but getting the entire system aligned and bonded properly would be a problem for me. A trip to the salon every 3 weeks doesn't sound too bad.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On my unit the poly is horseshoe shaped from just behind the temple. We put tape on that. On the very top of my head where it lace - I do not attach that at all. It kind of floats free - then on the front we use bond. This has held up best. Since I don't have any bond or tape on the top of my head - I don't get the breakdown from adhesive (either tape or bond) seeping thru the bond into my hair. As for the front of the unit - I just do the regular maintenance on that myself. Its pretty easy.

Your system looks great, I saw photos in an earlier thread. It looks fairly light density, mine will be also. I 'm assuming there are no issues with detectability when the lace portion is not bonded to the scalp. I also plan to bond with tape just along the poly rim so that's been one of my main concerns, and also possible allergic reaction to tape like cottonReville has experienced. I bought 3 different tapes so hopefully at least one will work for me.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. It's good to hear that the tape lasts up to 3 weeks including showers/shampoos. Do you have the full attachment done at a salon or do you do it all yourself? I think I could handle the hairline maintenance but getting the entire system aligned and bonded properly would be a problem for me. A trip to the salon every 3 weeks doesn't sound too bad.

I have the salon do the attachment. When they remove my unit - they will do the following:

Clean all adhesive/tape off the base and soak the hair base-side down in a solvent they call Amber. Smell sorta like dry-cleaning chemicals

dye my hair to ensure I have a good color match (if needed)

bleach my knots if they colored the hair

clean my scalp thoroughly

shave my bio hair that has been growing under the unit

condition and degrease my scalp so that the adhesive has a dry non-oily surface to adhere to

cut my bio hair however we need to do it for the hairstyle I go to

Reattach the unit- and do a final style

When I get a new unit, I cut my bio hair short on the sides - and let it grow out from there. When I come in for maintenance (outlined above), I cut my unit back some - and leave the length of my bio hair - and it gives the illusion that my hair is actually growing. its subtle - but its change enough that people don't see the same hairdo day in and out.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do everything sans the cutting the unit myself and tape is unquestionably easier to use. And, yes, it holds up perfectly in the shower etc.

With white glue, getting really hot and sweating is enough to cause the bond to melt.

It's also an absolute b**ch to clean whereas tape is easy breezy

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your system looks great, I saw photos in an earlier thread. It looks fairly light density, mine will be also. I 'm assuming there are no issues with detectability when the lace portion is not bonded to the scalp. I also plan to bond with tape just along the poly rim so that's been one of my main concerns, and also possible allergic reaction to tape like cottonReville has experienced. I bought 3 different tapes so hopefully at least one will work for me.

Density has been my thing and I struggle with it. For my hair to look natural, It needs to have some thinning. What we have done is order a Medium density unit, then cut it down. I have wanted to order a lighter density - but I got all kinds of push back from the salon. Well finally I convinced them to order a thinner unit. Medium density -10%. We still cut it back a little bit, but overall I'm happier with it. I am not experienced greater shedding like they said I would.

As far as detectability of the lace, in most day to day situations, it is not detectable. I am afraid to go under a black light tho.... I did figure out that I need to release the front of my unit a couple inches, and clean and re attach it about every 3rd day. If I go much longer than that, the bond will be harder to remove from the lace. Now that I have gotten the hang of this part I can clean everything and have the adhesive curing in about 5 minutes. I'll come to the computer, play a game of solitaire - then go back and lay it down. Its done in 10 minutes.

I haven't had any allergic reactions to any of the products so I can't comment on that.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, with tape, you can remove at night if you want, and reattach in the morning with the same tape - which is ultra convenient.