How long until regaining density after BIG shed?

Reaction score
Well, looking for experiences from people who've endured longlasting finasteride sheds. After shedding has stopped, how long did it take for YOU to regain your pre-shed density?

Appreciate all answers :salut:

HairShocka

Reaction score
Same question here! My hair line receded since taking finasteride. I started a Norwood 1.5 and now I'm like 2.5 getting closer to 3 on the right side.
At about 9.5 months into taking finasteride and it's getting difficult to believe that any hairs will grow back in the area I lost since starting. I see some small super weak and short hairs but it's pretty much not visible. Anyone with experience, please let us know.

HairShocka

Reaction score
nobody?

the_good_fight

Reaction score
From everything that I have gathered, you should expect at least one year to get everything back. Assuming you continue with your medications as you always have.

You'll probably want to keep your hair shorter, as the regrowth will take place over several months, with hair at different lengths giving you the illusion that it's not growing back.

I'm almost at five months since a major shed, and I am noticing some regrowth, but nothing near full regrowth at this point.

giannis

Reaction score
Hey guys i am starting to believe that exessive shedding for more than 1-2 months on finasteride is not a good sign.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone's results with hair treatments will be different. I've been on finasteride for about a year-and-a-half and at around the 3 month mark noticed my hair getting thinner. After researching online I attributed this to be the "finasteride shed", but that was a long time ago and it still hasn't grown back. I don't know if my hair has gotten any thinner from the initial shed, but I can say for certain that my hair hasn't returned to baseline. The only reason I'm still on finasteride is after talking with my doctor about my situation he said that for all we know if I wasn't on finasteride my hair could be much worse than it is now.

Reaction score
an update is probably in order. my hair thickened up in the weeks after making this thread, actually pretty quickly. I probably hit peak density around middle of October. Unfortunately back to shedding again. Been shedding upwards of 50 hairs when washing hair every day. Losing hair from all over scalp, as I did in my first big shed. Although not as many from the back of the head.

Hairline taking a hit again after actually improving in recent weeks.

Will be adding RU to hairline area next week.

JohnSheikhh

Reaction score
I think that time is different with everyone,, because it consists of many variables and factors are involved.

brian

Reaction score
When I initially started finasteride I had almost instant results, hair had thickened up and regrown within 3 months. As spring approached I began to shed and this lasted all the way through summer (7 months). After this things stabilized and I regrew more hair (a lot more than the first time around) within the space of a month and a half, this was November last year.

Since November I have been shedding quite a lot of hair but it seems to be slowing a little now I have added nizoral to my regimen. I think the bottom line is that these drugs can be quite unpredictable but I have genuine confidence that shedding hair is a positive sign. I believe that as long as you ride it out you will eventually experience more thickening and regrowth.

mayonegg

Reaction score
When I initially started finasteride I had almost instant results, hair had thickened up and regrown within 3 months. As spring approached I began to shed and this lasted all the way through summer (7 months). After this things stabilized and I regrew more hair (a lot more than the first time around) within the space of a month and a half, this was November last year.

Since November I have been shedding quite a lot of hair but it seems to be slowing a little now I have added nizoral to my regimen. I think the bottom line is that these drugs can be quite unpredictable but I have genuine confidence that shedding hair is a positive sign. I believe that as long as you ride it out you will eventually experience more thickening and regrowth.

I started my finasteride shed after a 1.5yr being on it. Major shedding started aug 2013 and has slowed down a bit now but my hair looks much less dense now. I'm gonna stick to finasteride (don't have major side effects) and hopefully will see a regrowth in upcoming months.