How long to wait.....dutasteride V finasteride?

Adam87

Established Member
Reaction score
My knowledge isn't as good as other wiser member of the board so hoping for a bit of insight here, a lot of people have reported shedding on dutasteride around months 2/3 compared to instant shedding as soon as they start, I assume this is the hair follicle shutting down, or the weak hair anyway. But how long does it take for dutasteride to get working compared to finasteride? I know dutasteride is more powerful but will it still vary in peoples responses to the drug like finasteride. For example on finasteride some people get results in 3 months.....others have to wait 9 or even 12 months and over....does this apply to dutasteride as well? Thank you.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
I can only give input what I know observing firsthand and input to some of your concern that might be related.

I may not answer exactly what you have in mind, that is, if one starts dutasteride. and without any other treatment would still have to wait for as long as 18 to 24 months in par with finasteride.

If you are already on minoxidil for long time, or stabilized on it already, and then you include finasteride or even dutasteride., then you may actually not experience any finasteride./dutasteride shed at all or would have it to a minimum and not as bad as may users report here all the time.

If you are already on minoxidil and finasteride., and now you add dutasteride., and depending on what dutasteride. dose, you may actually be amazed how thick and coarse hair would become without experiencing any shed. dutasteride magic might kick in as little as 2 weeks on dose every day. Even if you reduce dose then, I think you might still be ok.

And I would let someone respond to dutasteride alone shed