how long to should i take propecia?

gmoney

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been taking propecia for almost 6 months now, and I have begun noticing a difference. I have yet to start on rogain (which i should), but I was wondering how long the average person takes these products? I mean, are we expected to take them for years, to continue fighting hair loss?

that must break a lot of wallets

ShedMaster

Reaction score
gmoney said:
Hi,

I have been taking propecia for almost 6 months now, and I have begun noticing a difference. I have yet to start on rogain (which i should), but I was wondering how long the average person takes these products? I mean, are we expected to take them for years, to continue fighting hair loss?

gmoney, and that is a fine name by the way :), if you want to continue to experience the benefits of propecia you must continue to take them for life or until a new treatment comes out. In an effort to save money, many purchase proscar and use that instead. Proscar is = 5mg of propecia, hence they split the tablets into either 4'ths or 5'ths and take that daily at a fraction of the cost of real propecia.

Jude

Established Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
gmoney said:
Hi,

gmoney, and that is a fine name by the way :), if you want to continue to experience the benefits of propecia you must continue to take them for life or until a new treatment comes out. In an effort to save money, many purchase proscar and use that instead. Proscar is = 5mg of propecia, hence they split the tablets into either 4'ths or 5'ths and take that daily at a fraction of the cost of real propecia.

When you say Procar is not "real propecia", does that mean in any way that Proscar not as good or effective? Or is it just as effective as Propecia?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Gmoney - you really only need Minoxidil as part of the regimen if you're really in need of regrowing a significant amount of previously lost hair. If you're happy maintaining what you have today, and would be happy if you surprisingly got a little bit of thickening too, then Propecia + Nizoral shampoo should be enough. Save the minoxidil for later.

When he said real propecia he just meant brand name propecia. Both Propecia and Proscar have the same ingredient.

HairLossTalk.com

G

HairlossTalk said:
Gmoney - you really only need Minoxidil as part of the regimen if you're really in need of regrowing a significant amount of previously lost hair. If you're happy maintaining what you have today, and would be happy if you surprisingly got a little bit of thickening too, then Propecia + Nizoral shampoo should be enough. Save the minoxidil for later.

When he said real propecia he just meant brand name propecia. Both Propecia and Proscar have the same ingredient.

HairLossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com and I don't agree on this one. I advocate using minoxidil right away as once your follicule minaturizes, it is done as far as growing hair. So, I err on the side of minoxidil.

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
agreed

I think my case will be interesting to watch (I guess that sounds somewhat self-stroking:) Because I have been on minoxidil for 5 months next week (with great results) and I just started taking 0.25 mg of propecia today.

It will be cheaper, and I see that the results for 0.2 to 5 mgs are similar in that they reduce the bad DHT to "castrate levels"

I have had SIGNIFICANT regrowth from minoxidil. I would say it has put my hair back to where it was about 5 years ago. I can only imagine that kicking in the DHT inhibitor will allow minoxidil to fully work without being kicked from behind with the DHT while it is trying to work.

G

Re: agreed

Celtictigyr said:
I think my case will be interesting to watch (I guess that sounds somewhat self-stroking:) Because I have been on minoxidil for 5 months next week (with great results) and I just started taking 0.25 mg of propecia today.

It will be cheaper, and I see that the results for 0.2 to 5 mgs are similar in that they reduce the bad DHT to "castrate levels"

I have had SIGNIFICANT regrowth from minoxidil. I would say it has put my hair back to where it was about 5 years ago. I can only imagine that kicking in the DHT inhibitor will allow minoxidil to fully work without being kicked from behind with the DHT while it is trying to work.

Good for you. Good luck with the treatment.

G

I agree with HairLossTalk.com and Bruce, if that's possible. I would base the decision on how severe your hairloss is.

There would be no need to add minoxidil if you're thick NW2, and propecia will maintain that by itself for years. Kind of a, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Then when Propecia starts faltering, start bringing in the big guns.

There would be a need, if you're rapidly prgressing toward NW3 and have a thin NW2(or a nw3, nw4etc.) Minoc definatley gives that growth boost, that Propecia won't.