how long should finasteride keep my hair

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah I've heard the same :( although I have heard stories of some ppl retaining and even improving for like 20 years!!
I had excellent maintenance but had to go off a few times for reproductive purposes where I still used min so it seemed great until the time of male menopause and I went frail and ashen overnight.

Attachments

• boredjunkies.jpg
    boredjunkies.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 30somthin.jpeg
    30somthin.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 93

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really wish that was true but it isn't. A lot of people start losing more past the 10 year mark.
Yeah, ok, everything that dermatologists are saying is just nonsense. Because of reasons, sure.

A lot of people say a lot of things. A lot of people also believe all sorts of things that aren't true because it "feels right."

Maybe it's better to put your health and life in the hands of experts and scientifically proven studies, rather than the thoughts of random strangers -- just maybe.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, ok, everything that dermatologists are saying is just nonsense. Because of reasons, sure.

A lot of people say a lot of things. A lot of people also believe all sorts of things that aren't true because it "feels right."

Maybe it's better to put your health and life in the hands of experts and scientifically proven studies, rather than the thoughts of random strangers -- just maybe.
From my personal experience, dermatologists are not really reliable when it comes to hair loss.

One dermatologist told me that minoxidil blocks dht, which is just flat out wrong.

TressFracture

My Regimen
Reaction score
Without starting another thread, how long will dutasteride maintain hair?

And does prior experience with finasteride impact that figure at all?

I maintained for ten years on finasteride and saw an immediate regression when I hit year 11. I had no idea this was normal when I noticed it, but it’s interesting that it aligns so precisely with the average.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Without starting another thread, how long will dutasteride maintain hair?

And does prior experience with finasteride impact that figure at all?

I maintained for ten years on finasteride and saw an immediate regression when I hit year 11. I had no idea this was normal when I noticed it, but it’s interesting that it aligns so precisely with the average.
It can add some years to it but honestly I doubt it's worth it. At a certain age your hair is just too sensitive to dht and even as little as 30% will cause hair loss. Finasteride only lowers scalp dht by 50% and dutasteride is like 65%. If you had a way to clear scalp dht 100% then it would be the best prevention.

TressFracture

My Regimen
Reaction score
It can add some years to it but honestly I doubt it's worth it. At a certain age your hair is just too sensitive to dht and even as little as 30% will cause hair loss. Finasteride only lowers scalp dht by 50% and dutasteride is like 65%. If you had a way to clear scalp dht 100% then it would be the best prevention.
Interesting. I just started dutasteride yesterday. 37 with a decent amount of hair left. Would like to keep something mildly respectable until at least 45. Didn’t realize it was this dire, but I guess it’s the only choice I have!

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. I just started dutasteride yesterday. 37 with a decent amount of hair left. Would like to keep something mildly respectable until at least 45. Didn’t realize it was this dire, but I guess it’s the only choice I have!
When did you first notice hair loss? Aggressiveness is usually correlated to age of onset. You said 10 years finasteride started losing efficacy, did you start right when you noticed hair loss?

TressFracture

My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you first notice hair loss? Aggressiveness is usually correlated to age of onset. You said 10 years finasteride started losing efficacy, did you start right when you noticed hair loss?

i started at 24, when I noticed some pretty slight temple recession. No real diffuse thinning. My hair was still thick and my hair quality was good. But I got really paranoid and jumped right in so as to cut it off early. finasteride worked well for me until around 34, then there was a lapse in usage and I tried to jump back on last year with minimal results. I feel like my hair is currently thinner than ever.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
i started at 24, when I noticed some pretty slight temple recession. No real diffuse thinning. My hair was still thick and my hair quality was good. But I got really paranoid and jumped right in so as to cut it off early. finasteride worked well for me until around 34, then there was a lapse in usage and I tried to jump back on last year with minimal results. I feel like my hair is currently thinner than ever.
Damn. It sounds like you started when I should have started. At age 25 I had very good hair and didn't notice any major recession. Even at 28 I never noticed but 28 was when I think I should've gone on. I thought my dad started balding in his 20 like every bald guy I know but he started in his 30s and by 40 he was bald norwood 7. I wish I was warned about this otherwise I'd check my hairline all the time. If I knew what I knew now I would've started propecia at 25.

Taking a break was a big mistake though. It caused miniaturization that was going to happen fast because as we age the sensitivity goes up.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinning isn't miniaturization.
You need to go back to your dermatologist and ask for help.
Not try and get help from someone that doesn't know what he's talking about and thinks dermatologists (the experts on hair) are unreliable.

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That can't be right. I thought on average you get 10 years and after that you may start losing ground.

I don’t think there is any possible way that number that could be the case, as it would require that the number of people exceeding 10 years to be equal to those not getting 10 years. There are people who exceed that, but they are basically unicorns. Just try and search for testimonials of people who make it 10 years or more and you will see for yourself.

All that aside, even if we assume a 10 year average is an accurate one, it wouldn’t change the fact that there is no way to predict how long it will work for any given person. Right now, we can’t even predict whether a person will respond or not..

Last edited:

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t think there is any possible way that number that could be the case, as it would require that the number of people exceeding 10 years to be equal to those not getting 10 years. There are people who exceed that, but they are basically unicorns. Just try and search for testimonials of people who make it 10 years or more and you will see for yourself.

All that aside, even if we assume a 10 year average is an accurate one, it wouldn’t change the fact that there is no way to predict how long it will work for any given person. Right now, we can’t even predict whether a person will respond or not..
I read a study on long term efficacy. They took about 115 patients on finasteride. About 7 were non responders, another 40 or so had stability and no improvement and that slowly declined after 10 years and another dozen or so who had improvement but fell to baseline or worse after 10 years. The rest still had improvement.

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any pics of your hair as it currently is ?

TressFracture

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn. It sounds like you started when I should have started. At age 25 I had very good hair and didn't notice any major recession. Even at 28 I never noticed but 28 was when I think I should've gone on. I thought my dad started balding in his 20 like every bald guy I know but he started in his 30s and by 40 he was bald norwood 7. I wish I was warned about this otherwise I'd check my hairline all the time. If I knew what I knew now I would've started propecia at 25.

Taking a break was a big mistake though. It caused miniaturization that was going to happen fast because as we age the sensitivity goes up.
Taking a break was definitely a huge mistake, but it wasn’t strictly my choice. I had lost my job and was completely broke, to the point that I could hardly afford food or basic necessities. I just didn’t have the money to keep up treatment. Initially, I kind of went off on and on, trying to get some when I could but then having gaps. Eventually I just gave up and went without for a while. I’m sure it hurt my progress in a huge way.

As for photos, there are some in my “my story” post. Should be findable by clicking my username.

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just looked at your pics . You’re a Norwood 2, just . Are you sure it’s male pattern balding and not just mature hairline ?

TressFracture

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just looked at your pics . You’re a Norwood 2, just . Are you sure it’s male pattern balding and not just mature hairline ?
Can’t say for certain that it wasn’t just a mature hairline years ago, but it’s definitely male pattern baldness now. To be honest, when finasteride was really working for me, I barely thought about my hair. I took my pills and applied minoxidil at night, but otherwise I didn’t really pay much attention because my hair looked good. Now, however, I have Lots of miniaturization of the hairs on the hairline and tons of thinning in the middle of my had, which results in a lack of density of lifelessness. The hair itself is also of far poorer quality. I also lose a lot of hair daily. Most notably, over the past three years or so, I’ve been experiencing tingling, prickly sensations in affected areas. As others here have suggested, this is likely attributable to the process playing out.

I still look semi-decent, but it’s definitely getting harder to style effectively due to recession and thinning. I would love to halt it or maybe even get a little regrowth. My greatest blessing was having very very very thick hair when I started, which allows me to still have a look of somewhat substantial hair even after losing a good deal.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read a study on long term efficacy. They took about 115 patients on finasteride. About 7 were non responders, another 40 or so had stability and no improvement and that slowly declined after 10 years and another dozen or so who had improvement but fell to baseline or worse after 10 years. The rest still had improvement.
Because of any number of reasons that aren't the drugs magically stopping after 10 years. You're looking for things that might fit your conclusion, not accurate. You're not qualified to interpret and draw conclusions from a study. Please stop pushing this 10 year crap, you might mislead stupid people.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking a break was definitely a huge mistake, but it wasn’t strictly my choice. I had lost my job and was completely broke, to the point that I could hardly afford food or basic necessities. I just didn’t have the money to keep up treatment. Initially, I kind of went off on and on, trying to get some when I could but then having gaps. Eventually I just gave up and went without for a while. I’m sure it hurt my progress in a huge way.

As for photos, there are some in my “my story” post. Should be findable by clicking my username.
Dude. Your hair is fine. Like norwood 2.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dakuwaqa

My Regimen
Reaction score
For most people it works for a long long time. Even if after many years you start losing ground it will be significantly slower then if you weren’t on the medication.

Take the medication, be consistent and you’ll be fine