How Long Is It Safe To Soak Into Autoglym?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I mix it with some warm water too though, so perhaps it won't be too harsh on the hair?

I've usually soaked it for like 3--5h, but it's not enough. Not actualy chunks of glue, but some inbetween the lace holes won't come off.

Is 24h safe? Has anyone tried it? What is your maximum soaking time in Autoglym and did anything bad happen?

Thanks!

lace

Reaction score
I've usually soaked it for like 3--5h, but it's not enough.........
Is 24h safe? Has anyone tried it? What is your maximum soaking time in Autoglym and did anything bad happen?

Thanks!
On Aug 21 I wrote about GooGone and Autoglym.....https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...se-on-your-poly-surround.116550/#post-1704851

When you say you soak the hairpiece for 3-5 hours, do you mean that you pour the Autoglym into a bowl and soak the piece, or, do you spread Autoglym on the hp and allow it to sit (hopefully in a plastic bag) for 3 to 5 hours? As per my post on Aug 21, I spray GooGone or Autoglym on the lace side of the hairpiece. Place the piece in a plastic bag. Allow it to sit for at least an hour, preferable 1 1/2 or 2 hours. 95%+ of any adhesive residue is gone. Any remaining residue is easily removed using the magazine slide (glossy stock only), or the mirror/glass slide if you prefer. If you are following this procedure it is unimaginable to me that you still have residue after 3-5 hours.

As for your question about any harmful affects.....doubtful. Autoglym/GooGone have been used extensively for years. It is important to thoroughly clean the hp thus removing all traces of the solvent after this process. I soak the hp in a solution of hot tap water and liberal amount of shampoo for an hour. All traces of the solvent is removed. A thorough rinse/condition and I am done.

As an aside....I rinse from both sides...lace side and hair side. Mostly on the hair side. I have yet in 11 years noticed any hair pushed through the lace caused by rinsing on the hair side.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
On Aug 21 I wrote about GooGone and Autoglym.....https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...se-on-your-poly-surround.116550/#post-1704851

When you say you soak the hairpiece for 3-5 hours, do you mean that you pour the Autoglym into a bowl and soak the piece, or, do you spread Autoglym on the hp and allow it to sit (hopefully in a plastic bag) for 3 to 5 hours? As per my post on Aug 21, I spray GooGone or Autoglym on the lace side of the hairpiece. Place the piece in a plastic bag. Allow it to sit for at least an hour, preferable 1 1/2 or 2 hours. 95%+ of any adhesive residue is gone. Any remaining residue is easily removed using the magazine slide (glossy stock only), or the mirror/glass slide if you prefer. If you are following this procedure it is unimaginable to me that you still have residue after 3-5 hours.

As for your question about any harmful affects.....doubtful. Autoglym/GooGone have been used extensively for years. It is important to thoroughly clean the hp thus removing all traces of the solvent after this process. I soak the hp in a solution of hot tap water and liberal amount of shampoo for an hour. All traces of the solvent is removed. A thorough rinse/condition and I am done.

As an aside....I rinse from both sides...lace side and hair side. Mostly on the hair side. I have yet in 11 years noticed any hair pushed through the lace caused by rinsing on the hair side.
Well I guess it's just Ghostbond XL then. I can't get it off when it's inbetween the lace holes. I will try a 12h soak.

Also you soak into shampoo which I don't. Perhaps I should do it. Perhaps that's the key. Or soak inside dish washing liquid Fairy. Do you think soaking is better than just washing with shampoo?

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
TIIVOeX.jpg

This is what it looks like. It can't be just rolled of imo , because it's inside the holes. Hairdirect says that in this case you should soak.

lace

Reaction score
See my reply to you "Which tape..........?"

After my 1 1/2 hour application of GooGone/Autoglym I rarely ever see plugged "holes." If I do the "slide" and/or alcohol application, issue solved.

I will not predict your results per what I wrote in the referenced post above.