how long does it take?

jmoney32

Reaction score
i want to know how long it takes from the moment you get the transplant to the moment there are no scars and your just waiting for hair regrowth?

i want to attach pics to show my hair and gets some opinions on what i should do but i dont know how to attach them. i basically have a receding hairline but still got a full head of hair. i keep my hair long and i get the wave effect in the front and it looks like i am balding(which i am) and all i want to do is fill in the hairline.

i work out of my house so it might be possible to hide that i had anything done but i was just wondering how long the recovery time is?

eastend

Reaction score
Post-op recovery

There are a couple of things to think about with regard to your question.

Donor area:
Assuming a strip surgery, you will have a linear scar that will closed with staples or sutures. The staples or sutures will be removed at around day 12 post-op. In the meantime you can cover them with existing hair, just grow it out a little bit.

Assuming FUE, it's less invasive and won't leave a linear scar (sounds good but also remember it's much more expensive).

In general, your donor area can be hidden easily. With strip your donor area will be very sensitive for quite a while (2 months at least).

Recipient area:
The scabs should be gone by day 10-11. If they remain, you will be instructed to rub them and apply for example baby oil to loosen them up. So within 10-12 days, that evidence will be gone. The leftover 'evidence' is then the transplanted hairs and the redness. The transplanted hairs will generally shed within 2-4 weeks. Some of them will not fall out and will grow, but this is a very small percentage (say 5% or so). The redness is the real issue. Some guys claim it subsides in 4 weeks, but others say it lingers for 3 months. Your best way of disguising work done is by combing your existing hair over it. Some guys resort to makeup e.g. concealer to cover the redness. If you're slick bald, and you have work done, it will be obvious without concealer or a hat. If you're a diffuse thinner, or you have coverage behind recession, you can comb your existing hair differently and use styling products, and this will hide your work. For you this sounds like an option.

One thing, though, I do suggest you think carefully about how aggressively you want to have hairline-only work done. You do not mention your age or family history, but the last thing you want is to have this dense transplanted hairline and then start losing massive amounts of hair behind it. You may not have enough donor hair to fill in for future loss. Good luck.