How Long Does It Take For Dutasteride To Start Working?

Loss4Solutions

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I’ve had a similar situation to some here. 32 now, with loss since I was 19, and fighting ever since. Got on finasteride at 21 and had amazing immediate results. Those faded at 29, at which point I did a combo RU + PRP Injections. Amazing results for about 1.5 years, followed by same declining results. Now I’m on 0.7 dutasteride with estrogen blocker and a topical solution of it (plus derma roller). Been at this level for 2 months after 4 months of minimal results on 0.5. Hairline is looking improved for sure, but loss continues and hair is still easy to remove if I try with obvious miniaturization. Can’t decide if I’m fooling myself or if the apparent thickening is legit and signs of regrowth to come. God knows I need it with this big head.

Loss4Solutions

My Regimen
Reaction score
What I can’t determine is whether A) everyone really does see improvement (no more loss, eventually) on dutasteride (as studies seem to show, or B) there are people who have had no luck regardless of the time, or even saw results stop after a certain amount of time, like with finasteride. 100% our of options aside from transplant if this doesn’t work.

Supes26

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I started using finasteride 8 years ago. First 2 years my hair was almost without any signs of hairloss. Then after a second, maybe a third year, things slowly started receeding again but nothing noticable. 2016-2017 was one of my most stressful periods of my life ( still continues ) and it all went downhill. Than I started dutasteride 5 months ago and my hair is worse than ever.
This is so similar to my situation, man. I decided to get back on finasteride and quit dutasteride, but I still feel like I’m losing more hair. I’ve been off dutasteride for 7 months. Now I’m just wondering if I quit too early since what the dude said about having dht come back full force makes sense to me

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup, 7 years. First 2-3 years amazing results but then slowly losing ground and last year was insane tbh, have no idea what happened to my hair. After 2 years of propecia I thought I would never have to worry about my hairloss again. Lol I was wrong.
Scary to read that meds may stop working after a few years.

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's why i'm taking finasteride and dutasteride together for a year.
Are you taking 1 finasteride (1mg) pill & 1 dutasteride (0.5 mg) pill each day?
If so, is this safe? (i.e. is there not an unacceptable risk of gynecomastia, etc.?)
I ask because I'd like to transition from finasteride to dutasteride, but I'm uncertain about the best way to do so.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How did you transition from finasteride to dutasteride?
Did you simply stop finasteride 1 day & start dutasteride the next, or was it more gradual?

dutas_analysis.jpg

As you can see, you shouldn't worry about it. I'm taking both right now. I'm fine, no gyno, no sides except some ball ache sometimes.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
How did you transition from finasteride to dutasteride?
Did you simply stop finasteride 1 day & start dutasteride the next, or was it more gradual?
You don't need to take duta every day as it has a 4 day half life.

Many people take both finasteride and duta and have duta every forth day with finasteride on the other days.