How long did you shed when you started Minoxidil?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been shedding 100+ hairs easily on Minoxidil for 22 days now. Everyday I get up thinking today the shedding will stop, i ll see less hair. But all I see is more and more hair everywhere...pillow, shower, sink, at work on keyboards, collar...everywhere...

I am not going on Proscar because I dont want finasteride shedding + Min shedding together..This will drive me crazy....

I sometimes think I shud just stop Min and get on finasteride..but then I think I should wait and wait for the Min shed to stop.

Can you guys Please tell me How long was your first shed on Min

Thanks

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
to be honest since starting finasteride and min and for abit before that i cant rub a single hair off my head. i do not no if this is bad or good.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bump....

38 views and one reply...Guys Please contribute and help me out.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Look up some posts by Se-Freak, exactly the same situation and then fantastic results.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
My minoxidil shedd now stoped. It lasted from the end of May to the end of June/beginning of July. Lost a ton but I hope it will regrow.

Trash

Reaction score
Well to be honest i never expirienced a min or finasteride shed..... dunno if this is a good or bad sign... well the meds are working different for everyone.. :shock:

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
I never really had a shed either. I didn't even know that people did shed from minoxidil until I came to this site. I was on minoxidil a couple years ago for about 3 months and I lost a couple hairs as I was putting in on my scalp, but nothing too major. I quit because I got lazy at the time. All the shedding I've ever had was when I wasn't taking any regimen. I really hope that your situation gets better as you continue on.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i have been taking for 22 days. i dont think iv seen one hair on my hand since taking min and finasteride.

when i apply minoxidl to my scalp, not one hair can be seen on my hand. i have a buzzed head bout 1.5 at the mo. when i had inch long hair i cud get loads of hairs on my hands jus rubbing my head, but now none.

any explanations?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Andrew..with you hair so short, will it be even possible to see them if they fall ?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another bump....Please add your experience...if nothing else just write the number of days you shed. That ll be really helpful.Thanks

Hellboy

Reaction score
Well , if this can help , I started minoxidil on January 22nd , I've shed tons of hair until early April. It has slown down since then and probably stopped in early June. Now I can confirm it has completely stopped , but I haven't seen any considerable regrowth yet except vellous hair in previously bald temples. Hair somehow looks stronger and thicker.
You should expect your shedding to continue for atleast another three months.
My first post http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=27339

CCS

Reaction score
i don't think i've ever shed on minoxidil. i hope that does not mean i'm not a responder. i do get some hairs on my fingers when I rub it in, but not enough to worry about. i'm not finding hairs in the show or on my pillow, which is strange because normal people are supposed to loose 100 hairs per day. not seeing much regrowth either.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have stopped worrying about my shedding now. A few reasons:

1. My shedding has come down since the past few days ( 100+ to 60 or so ), still shedding lots but better. I am hoping it will subside further.
2. I see some thickening.
3. Now I cant leave minoxidil because then I will be worried all the time. Maybe the shed increases after I leave it. So I am following the route of "Something is better than nothing "

Hellboy

Reaction score
Just keep up with mioxidil , you have nothing to lose , and side effects aren't so serious except for depression. If you quit it , then expect "the mother of all sheds" lol.

Felk

Reaction score
Hellboy said:
Just keep up with mioxidil , you have nothing to lose , and side effects aren't so serious except for depression. If you quit it , then expect "the mother of all sheds" lol.

...depression? From minoxidil?!?

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
not one hair comes off my hands when im applying minoxidil. its crazy.

nightlife

Reaction score
hey, when i first started minoxidil 2% i shed noticably for about 2-3 weeks, the same thing happened when i switched to minoxidil 5% but more severe. i noticed that my crown had become more visible, but now its completely refilled. i guess it was about 2-3 weeks of shedding which gradually improves. now, im hardly losing at all.

ride the wave, its important. all in all, i think shedding is a positive sign, it shows that you are a responder. stick with it. all those shed hairs will return, and improve. give treatment 12 months to judge and take pics !

Hellboy

Reaction score
I'm almost 6 months on minoxidi 5% now. I'm still not happy with the look of my hair and I don't know if it would have been worse if I didn't use minoxidil.
My hair look twice as thick but my temples seem to be still in recession and there's a minimal regrowth merely vellous hairs.
I've become more worried about maintenance than regrowth.
Oh and here's a list of common minoxidil side effects.

1- Facial hair.
2- Unwanted hair everywhere in your body.
3- Scalp irritation.
4- Puffy eyes and puffy face due to water retention.
5- Low blood pressure.
6- Dizziness.
7- Depression
8- Forehead wrinkles.

Isn't that enough ?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think my shedding has further reduced ..about 40 hairs now which is close to baseline ( when I started ). I am hoping that the shed hair will come back thicker. I dont see any vellous hair..I dont think minoxidil is gonna regrow lost hair. Planning to get on Proscar in a week or two.

BTW..Is lack of concentration a side effect of minoxidil or an effects of the above side effects ?

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on minoxidil 2% with good results for about 4 years. If I could remember the shed lasted a couple months or so. I still had a lot of hair so it didn’t bother me too much. Hair definitely improved. However it’s gotten worse recently. About a year and a half ago I got on 5% and have been shedding ever since. Don’t know if it helped. Did an experiment and quit for a couple weeks and shedding stopped. Was worried I’d loose all sooner or later so I got back on 2%. Increase shedding immediately. Bumped up to 5% and immediate increase in shedding - up to about a couple hundred hairs every 2 days when I shampoo. My hair is at the breaking point. Just starting to show some scalp.

Can’t use finasteride. What other treatments would you guys recommend? Heard spironolactone is a hoax. Copper Peptides? I’m worried about stronger minoxidil cause I get sides already. If you have advice can you include a source to purchase.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!