How Long Did It Take For You To Finasteride Kick In?

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on summer vacation, traveling for 30 days all the way from NY to SF...

I don't know if it is connected but afterwards I felt like I am shedding much more hair - it was around 200 hairs that I had every day brushing my hair and considering that this was probably not all hair that I lost within a day, I guess I lost like 300 hairs every day... So I started taking finasterid in the beginning of November... Additionally, I started taking vitamin pills (few sunlight in winter etc.) in mid-December...

Now I take it since then but I still shed lots of hair (like 150 if I brush my hair once a day, so probably still like 250 a day) and I can really see how the density goes down (I am thinning diffuse, my hair line has not changed very much, but my density has gone bad dramatically, I can often see my scalp shining through the hair)

Therefore, I wanted to ask you how long it took you to

1. Decrease your daily hair loss

2. To maybe see some thickening again (In case you did)

I am right now freaking out a little bit since it gone terribly bad within such short notice..

Thank you very much

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on it over 10 months and it took over six months to see decreased shedding. That didn't just suddenly happen either, it was so gradual I wasn't even sure it was happening. I still have not seen regrowth.

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, I was not the answer I was hoping for tbh - but how much hair did you lose back then? And how much now?

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, I was not the answer I was hoping for tbh - but how much hair did you lose back then? And how much now?

I couldn't really say per day, but when I started taking finasteride if I wore a hat and took it off there'd always be a few loose hairs in the hat. Now there are usually none. If I combed my hair id get 6-12 but now maybe 1-2.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is 12 months, sometimes more, sometimes less. She’s may stop earlier than that but regrowth from the shed will depend on your hair cycle.

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, I see... Well, I am just afraid that if I continue losing 250+ hair a day that I'll be bald before it actually starts working... :-(

Dakuwaqa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just keep taking it and chill. Make sure you don’t miss any days and try and take it a similar time each day.

Finasteride is great. It took me a while to appreciate what it was doing and I thought my hair my be getting worse.

2 years down the line I have the identical hairline as I had when I started haven’t lost any ground at all. No stress about hair loss anymore as well which is great.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
It works fast, at least for me. Im diffuse thinner. I see hair quality is improved by 3th week.

I don't think it's possible to see results within three weeks. Do you have any before and after pics? As for my experience with finasteride i didn't maintain the 11 months i was on it for, had to switch to dutasteride.

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 weeks should be impossible to see results since telogen phase is around 2-3 months - at least that is what I was taught; But maybe you just grew some hair that was already gone and this takes less time..

But I might be wrong - anyway congrats on your success :) I let you guys now when the hair loss gets less;(Assuming that it hopefully hopefully does)

BTW - if some other people want to share how long it took them to finasteride decreasing their daily hair loss or to get some regrowth, I'd be very curious :)

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2.5 months for me. Must have been less shedding and some of the hairs that fell out right before I started taking (1000 damaged hairs look a lot better than 700 damaged hairs) grew back a little better.

Now at almost 5 months, things are looking pretty good trajectory wise.

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
So these "damaged"hairs still look damaged after 5 months?

I have another question regarding finasteride; If i take minoxidil for let's say 10 years (assume 2020-2030) and then I stop taking it, then within a few months I get the result as if I never have taken the drug, so in 2030 I will have the hair as it is 2030 and I have never taken the drug;

How is that with finasteride? Assume I also take that for the next 10 years until 2030 and stop then - what will then be the result? I know that I will start lose my hair again but it should be somehow be different, right?
Is it like it is still 2020?

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This whole year thing is throwing me off rn tbh. By 2030 we technically should be Uber advanced, right? No need for treatments there should be a cure.

Aqalp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on it more than 3 years. Still waiting for a miracle, closest it has done has slowed down my norwooding.

Blacktree

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to see results within three weeks. Do you have any before and after pics? As for my experience with finasteride i didn't maintain the 11 months i was on it for, had to switch to dutasteride.

I had the same results as my hair stopped falling out after a few weeks on fina, was losing hair everyday for a year before that