how long can rogaine work for if you respond to it??

stjimmy

Established Member
Reaction score
come on! simple, how long can rogaine keep working for once your responding? 5-10 years maybe?

Sean68

Reaction score
depends on the person. 10 years is maybe a bit optimistic from what ive heard.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Come on! Check your question first before you expect any answers. How the hell could anyone know that for sure?

stjimmy

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
Come on! Check your question first before you expect any answers. How the hell could anyone know that for sure?

simple: you were on rogaine for 5/10/15/20 years and then it stopped working as well? at what point did you notice this?

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
Studies have demonstrated that its efficacy begins to wane at the 2-year mark (24 months). I've been using it since just before I turned 21. I am 23 now and a few months ago, it just stopped and my hairline and crown have suffered for it.

My advice is to never start it. I was an excellent responder for the first year.

Now I'm considering ingesting finasteride, a position I never wanted to be in.

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride makes minoxidil hair growth last longer. I think the first year on minoxidil you regrow hair then after year no more but year 2 and 3 you mantain then it starts to dip. I believe with finasteride it wont dip after 3 years and will last double if not longer. Proctor always said that finasteride helps minoxidil last longer.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
stjimmy said:
come on! simple, how long can rogaine keep working for once your responding? 5-10 years maybe?

Try posting in the right forum for better responses.

The Rogaine forum is not the right forum to be asking about Rogaine? :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
stjimmy said:
just wondering how long rogaine can work for if you respond to it?

My own feeling is that Rogaine keeps working for you as long as you use it; however, there is a very serious possible pitfall here that concerns the precise meaning of the phrase "working for you". If you've seen my previous posts on topical minoxidil, you know what I'm talking about! :)

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
stjimmy said:
just wondering how long rogaine can work for if you respond to it?

My own feeling is that Rogaine keeps working for you as long as you use it; however, there is a very serious possible pitfall here that concerns the precise meaning of the phrase "working for you". If you've seen my previous posts on topical minoxidil, you know what I'm talking about! :)[/quot

There is so much on this site I cant find these specific posts... Can you link me please?

Francois

Reaction score
medmax84 said:
Studies have demonstrated that its efficacy begins to wane at the 2-year mark (24 months). I've been using it since just before I turned 21. I am 23 now and a few months ago, it just stopped and my hairline and crown have suffered for it.

My advice is to never start it. I was an excellent responder for the first year.

why did you stop if you were a good responder?

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil doesn't stop working. This topic has been debated to death. You will grow a certain amount of hair above base line during the first year or two on the drug but the problem is that the balding process continues (even though it will progress considerably slower if taking drugs like finasteride or dutasteride). So of course, after 10, 15 years you may be balder. Or you may be a little balder. Or you may not go bald at all. This depends on you and it has nothing to do with the effectiveness of minoxidil but rather, the aging (male pattern baldness) process itself going it's course.

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score
Nathaniel said:
Minoxidil doesn't stop working. This topic has been debated to death. You will grow a certain amount of hair above base line during the first year or two on the drug but the problem is that the balding process continues (even though it will progress considerably slower if taking drugs like finasteride or dutasteride). So of course, after 10, 15 years you may be balder. Or you may be a little balder. Or you may not go bald at all. This depends on you and it has nothing to do with the effectiveness of minoxidil but rather, the aging (male pattern baldness) process itself going it's course.

thats a great answer ... even though i hate it haha

male pattern baldness sucks!

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
Francois said:
medmax84 said:

why did you stop if you were a good responder?

I didn't. Typo. I meant to write "I am 23 now and a few months ago it just stopped *working* and my hairline and crown have suffered for it*

I still use it once daily as I always have. I use MiN Agent (5% minoxidil) from MiN New York. Great product, but a little annoying bc the lotion makes your hair clump. I'll prob be switching to somethign else that is cheaper and dries faster in the near future. I don't want to change 2 things at once bc I'd hate to shock my hair too badly as I am starting finasteride as well.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
hopefully within 10-15 years time we can just pop into a clinic and just like we get our eyes zapped with laser we can do the same with our baldy heads :)

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
RP3X said:
hopefully within 10-15 years time we can just pop into a clinic and just like we get our eyes zapped with laser we can do the same with our baldy heads :)

gene therapy is the answer. the hair on the back & sides of the head seems genetically immune to male pattern baldness. so if they can tinker around with genes so its genetically immune to DHT- hey presto baldness cured. thats no way of replacing lost hair, so right now keep up the treatments.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
for me regrowth for the first 2-3 years, then it waned over the next 3 or so. Now it's hard to tell if it's still working or now, but I'm very thin when compared to when I started. So 2-5 years I'd say, for me.