How Long Can One Safely Take a Break from Minoxidil?

Kevincali

Reaction score
A few years late to this one - I went off it for 7 months. Results are terrible. I had been on minoxidil (mostly the Dr. Lee stuff) and then went to Lipogaine after) finasteride off and on - but I had been doing this for almost 20 years - and as I am 64 I figured probably what I have is what I will have without spending all the money. WRONG! I have lost 75% of my hair. If you are on minoxidil `- don't quit - you may be in for a shock! P. S. - I am furious with the FDA for shutting down Dr. Lee and the others. His 15% Xandrox formula and topical finasteride was a winner. I ended up having to go to oral finasteride. It worked great. But I grew manboobs. I just can't win. Lipogaine was a good formula till they took out the Azealic Acid. I mean, it is still probably a good product, but you can buy a year supply of Kirkland minoxidil for $47 with shipping from Amazon. I am going to buy the AA flakes and make my own batches.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
You noticed that Minoxidil's effectiveness increased after the break?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply.

6 weeks are way too much for me. i consider giving 1 week break just because i feel that Minoxidil's effectiveness dropped a bit in the last months. Some friends said and advised that 1 week or 5 days break will increase its effectiveness, im evaluating it.

Bro science?! For Goodness sake!

alnaahsunil

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped for six weeks and lost tons and tons of hair, at least half of my gains since starting. Here was the timeline:

T - Stopped using minoxidil
T+1.5 months - Restarted using minoxidil
T+2 months - Started major shedding
T+3 months - Shedding started to calm, vellus hairs visible again (1.5 months after restarting minoxidil)
T+4.5 months - Back to full strength (3 months after restarting minoxidil)

It was a horrible two months of shedding though. I will probably never intentionally take a break from minoxidil again except for missing one application here and there which tends to happen naturally for me. Pics of all that process are in my story, link in signature, period in question was from 1/15/12 through 5/31/12.
hey i also happened to stop minoxidil 2 months ago and im now undergoing a heavy hairfall and i restarted it a month back and now i dont see any visible results and my hair is still shedding after using it for a month now. how long will it take tp show up after restarting minoxidil. And can i gardually slow down the usage of minoxidil.

alnaahsunil

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey i also wanted to know the difference between the pale yellow colour and transparent colour of minoxidil. which one is great? and whats the differnce of using the yellow one with a good smell

alnaahsunil

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped for six weeks and lost tons and tons of hair, at least half of my gains since starting. Here was the timeline:

T - Stopped using minoxidil
T+1.5 months - Restarted using minoxidil
T+2 months - Started major shedding
T+3 months - Shedding started to calm, vellus hairs visible again (1.5 months after restarting minoxidil)
T+4.5 months - Back to full strength (3 months after restarting minoxidil)

It was a horrible two months of shedding though. I will probably never intentionally take a break from minoxidil again except for missing one application here and there which tends to happen naturally for me. Pics of all that process are in my story, link in signature, period in question was from 1/15/12 through 5/31/12.
i stopped minoxidil and is going through heavy shedding nowdays and i restarted it 2 months back and still my hair sheds. when will my hair be back to action as before and when will the shedding stop. its been almost 2 months of restarting it.