How long before effects manifest themselves?

Caleb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Started Proscar (cut up in 1/4ths...roughly) a week ago. I'm curious about how long it takes before you start noticing any effects as a result of taking the medicine. I checked the Merck site and they say it takes about 3-4 months before hair loss begins to stop. In the first three months, did any of you notice any effects at all (did hair feel stronger or weaker, acne got worse or better, suddenly lose or gained more body hair, etc.) How long before these effects began to manifest themselves?

As for me, so far I don't feel any different, and I'm just as horny as ever. :hairy: Hard to believe at one time I was deathly afraid of taking finasteride. Now I'm popping it like a vitamin.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LOL.

I was horny as hell too the first few weeks. Righ now, 7 1/2 months in I'm just "normal" now with the libido. Have had libido ups and downs but nothing to freak out about.

As far as sides, I felt a little numb pain on my right testicle about 2 weeks after taking propecia. It wasn't that bad so I kept taking it and the side went away 2 weeks later.

About 3 weeks later, I noticed my hairloss was halted...I wasn't shedding at all, BUT then, holly crap, about 5 weeks into treatment I shed like hell. I kept shedding for a while. All seemed to normalize in month 5-6.

I also noticed my scalp was a little more oily after starting propecia. However I started washing my hair with shampoo every day and that went away. Nizoral every third day and head and shoulders on "off" days.

Thats about it bro.

Caleb

Reaction score
I'm bracing myself for the shedding. On one hand not shedding may mean it's not working, so it will be a bitter pill to swallow if I go through a shedding phase, even though I need to treat it as a good sign. One thing's for sure, I'm damned sick and tired of seeing my hair fall out like I have cancer. :-x

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thats the way to look at things. I was also sick of just sitting there losing my hair and I told myself that I was going to lose it anyway so, it doesn't mean that shedding didn't make me feel bad, but half of me didn't give a sh*t because I was so desperate.

The only thing I regret now is not getting on finasteride earlier.

Caleb

Reaction score
Nathaniel said:

That was my regret too, but I just wasn't ready. It was fortunate that my hair loss was only gradual, giving me time to change my mind, and at least now I don't have to wake up years from now with a bald head, wondering what might have been if I had only been brave enough to try propecia/proscar. 8)

NedFlanders

Established Member
Reaction score
Caleb said:
Nathaniel said:

That was my regret too, but I just wasn't ready. It was fortunate that my hair loss was only gradual, giving me time to change my mind, and at least now I don't have to wake up years from now with a bald head, wondering what might have been if I had only been brave enough to try propecia/proscar. 8)

Yep! Thats what would happen. I started Propecia about when it first came out, and everyone around me said "Your wasteing your money its a rip off". I listend to those people and stoped taking it, and it has ended up being one of the biggest regrets of my life. Just started back on it about 2 months ago, and I wonder everyday if I would have only listened to myself and not everyone else how much hair I would have had today. :cry:

Caleb

Reaction score
Yep! Thats what would happen. I started Propecia about when it first came out, and everyone around me said "Your wasteing your money its a rip off". I listend to those people and stoped taking it, and it has ended up being one of the biggest regrets of my life. Just started back on it about 2 months ago, and I wonder everyday if I would have only listened to myself and not everyone else how much hair I would have had today. :cry:

Well, the past is the past, the important thing is that you're doing it now. :)