How long are frontal hair transplant good for?

G

Sublime,

My first hair transplant was in 1996 and most of the grafts went in the frontal zone and "still growing" which has been nine years now. All three of my hair transplants are still growing.

Don't forget about the shockloss issues on diffused thinners. :roll:

G

Sublime,

Well first off, you're choosing a very talented, competent surgeon in Dr. Wolf (Ohio). :)

And I could also add that he has successfully completed many follicular unit dense-packing procedures and believe he utilizes the lateral slit method, minimizing the trauma to the scalp, the primary reason for the shock-out. You probably are aware he has been doing FUE as well.

So to a fair degree yes the competency of the surgeon is a factor, but most hair transplant doctors will tell you that it can still happen even taking all necessary precautions. It can still be unpredictable, especially with diffused thinning patients.

But listen, I commend you for doing your research because you are doing all of the right things for sure. And the 10% shock is hardly ever noticable if at all. So I think you are putting all of the odds in your favor and I wish you the very best with Dr. Wolf. Please say hi to him and to his assistant Ivan for me! :wink:

Chrisknight

Reaction score
I want to know if I am reading this correctly...

A hair transplant isn't for life? The hair will eventually fall out and you'll be back to square one? Or are you considering future hair loss?

For example... If you hairloss has stopped, and you'll never loss more hair, have a frontal hair transplant, will that hair transplant eventually fall out (back to square one)?

G

ChrisKnight,

Always remember that male pattern baldness (genetic hairloss) does not resolve itself and is progressive over our lifetimes. The FDA approved meds may slow our hairloss down but they never cure it. That's because male pattern baldness is a genetic trait or what some clinicians will refer to as a predisposition.

Predisposition not only affects the hair we lose but also the hair that we keep. So in layman's terms each hair follicule carries a genetic predisposition as to how it responds to the effects of DHT. So the typical individual with male pattern baldness may potentially and eventually lose every hair on the top of his head front-to-back but not in his permanent donor zone(s) where the terminal hairs are harvested from. So those follicules not affected by DHT continue to grow even if they are relocated to the balding area.

I have seen patients who had open-donor (plugs) transplants as far back as the 1970's and their plugs are still growing to this day. That's pretty profound. But is that 100% true for every patient? No. Could one lose their transplanted hair one day? Of course. But the odds are far in one's favor that their transplanted hair will continue to grow. My first transplant was done by Dr. Ron Shapiro in Mpls nine years ago and still growing fine.

You can read a post I did yesterday on a thread entitled "Help-5 month post-op" where I comment on potential loss of transplanted hair. It is almost non-existent. :)

G

Sublime,

You're very welcome my friend. Doctors like Dr. Wolf who are very talented and dedicated are usually pretty busy. Although I have no idea what his OR schedule is like I am sure Ivan will be able to assist you with dates.

And yes by all means keep us in the loop and thanks again for your openess and willingness to share your situation with all of us Sublime. :)

G

Hey Sublime,

Well I'm very happy for you. It sounds like things are progressing well for you. It is reassuring to know you are making an "informed" decision. :)

It's great that you have lots of vacation days to heal and recover. I trust you will be using a post-op application such as the Graftcyte kit which will help advance the healing in both the recipient and donor areas. Possibly your surgeon will recommend a different product but FYI I used Graftcyte myself on my last two procedures and it really made a difference. :)

Thanks for the update! We'll all look forward to your future posts. :wink:

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sure your future procedures now nessesitated were explained?

G

Sublime,

The more you post, the more impressed I am of your thorough research and approach. You're right on tartget man! :wink:

Mahair,

Hey buddy, it's good to see you here again. :)

G

Sublime,

Your welcome and I truly believe you are in good hands. It's nice to see you have the support too! :wink:

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
yup, please keep us updated and perhaps provide some pictures if you could so we can all make more informed decisions in the future