How long after quiting minoxidil does the shedding start?

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
I quit minoxidil 4 months ago after a year and eight months of use and I thought I had dodged the dreaded shed. However, I started shedding last week and the past few days it has gotten pretty bad.

The thing is I also started taking oral spironolactone a little over a month ago so I'm not sure whats causing this shed. Is it a delayed minoxidil shed or is it from the spironolactone?

Any thoughts?

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
4 to 4.5 months for me. I was on minoxidil for a year.

I am only losing some hair along the hairline. minoxidil caused shed all over the scalp which has almost ceased now and I feel the hair is much healthier now but no regrowth.

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
i quit using minoxidil the christmas before last, or at least stepped it down gradually to nothing. the shed came in april. so 4 months there.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
icdalite said:
4 to 4.5 months for me. I was on minoxidil for a year.

I am only losing some hair along the hairline. minoxidil caused shed all over the scalp which has almost ceased now and I feel the hair is much healthier now but no regrowth.

Did you apply minoxidil only to your hair line or did you apply it over the entire scalp? Also how long did it take for the shedding to stop?

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am a diffused thinner so I applied it all over including hairline.

If I had to do it all over again I would start with finasteride and be on it for atleast 6-8 mnths then start applyting minoxidil along hairline, and only if I don;t see regrowth on scalp would I have used it.

Anyway, since I quit after a year I guess the hairs were dependent on it and suffered a massive shed.

Interestingly now there is a strange sort of calm and I don;t shed in the scalp area, but my hairline took a massive beating and has gone inwards.

Plan to start minoxidil foam but only along hairline. Am a bit reluctant though as I heard it worsens the hairline.

heyhey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I bumb this thread to see if any new experience from users here are out on this topic.

liljay

My Regimen
Reaction score
i quit using minoxidil the christmas before last, or at least stepped it down gradually to nothing. the shed came in april. so 4 months there.

hi captain_que, how long u been using minoxidil and how long is the shedding after u quit minoxidil? and what happened at the end? im srsly thinkin of quitting minoxidil.

liljay

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am a diffused thinner so I applied it all over including hairline.

If I had to do it all over again I would start with finasteride and be on it for atleast 6-8 mnths then start applyting minoxidil along hairline, and only if I don;t see regrowth on scalp would I have used it.

Anyway, since I quit after a year I guess the hairs were dependent on it and suffered a massive shed.

Interestingly now there is a strange sort of calm and I don;t shed in the scalp area, but my hairline took a massive beating and has gone inwards.

Plan to start minoxidil foam but only along hairline. Am a bit reluctant though as I heard it worsens the hairline.

hi icdalite,
s u mean the shedding continue for 4-4.5months after quitting it? how long were u off the minoxidil and did u benefit from minoxidil before? cuz i didnt get any regrow hair from minoxidil and things got even worse as time goes by. so im curious how things went for u at the end. thank you.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped in April and i think my shed is over, im also taking finasteride. I wish i had just used finasteride at first for a year before thinking about adding minoxidil, but hindsight and all that. I have noticed thinning on more forelock though that i didn't have before, don't know if that is a shed from minoxidil going systematic, im giving finasteride until january/february before thinking of changing my regime.

liljay

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped in April and i think my shed is over, im also taking finasteride. I wish i had just used finasteride at first for a year before thinking about adding minoxidil, but hindsight and all that. I have noticed thinning on more forelock though that i didn't have before, don't know if that is a shed from minoxidil going systematic, im giving finasteride until january/february before thinking of changing my regime.

hi Derelict,
how long u been using minoxidil and did u benefit from it? cuz i gain no regrowth from minoxidil and was wondering if there will still be a shedding after i quit minoxidil(im on minoxidil for 1 yr and 7-8 months, and decided to quit this nasty thing). so the shedding period takes 4 months in total since u stop minoxidil this April? every move on fighting hair loss battle is very important, so your experience will be very important to me. thanks