How Important Really Is Nizoral? I Never Used It

ThatHairStruggle

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone ever added it late in their regimen and saw any difference. I figure it can't do much that dutasteride/finasteride and minoxidil aren't already doing but I do wonder if I'm missing out on a bit of regrowth.

manda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you don't have any scalp issues, I think you won't really need it. The effect of Nizoral as a hair loss prevention method is minimal to not existent. If you're already on fina/minoxidil the, you won't get any thicker hair by just adding nizoral into your regimen.

I use it though but I'm also on finasteride. Sometimes I think it helps me with the itch but I think my mind is just bullshitting me. I won't quit it though because it doesn't create any harm and it helps me psychologically that I'm using something else beside fina haha

ThatHairStruggle

Established Member
Reaction score
If you don't have any scalp issues, I think you won't really need it. The effect of Nizoral as a hair loss prevention method is minimal to not existent. If you're already on fina/minoxidil the, you won't get any thicker hair by just adding nizoral into your regimen.

I use it though but I'm also on finasteride. Sometimes I think it helps me with the itch but I think my mind is just bullshitting me. I won't quit it though because it doesn't create any harm and it helps me psychologically that I'm using something else beside fina haha
Yeah I think the big three are more like a big two, where the third aspect isn't really important as long as you're at least sticking to two of the three possible options.

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
depends...if like me you only suffer from seborrheic dermatitis (without mbp), it will get rid of inflammation and your hair should grow back. It took mine 10 months to grow back after getting rid of seb derm though. I personally replaced Nizoral with Selsun 2.5% as it was considered as a better anti fungal shampoo but it's very difficult to find as the shampoo ain't produced anymore...but Nizoral should be as effective.

but if you have mbp then I don't know, I'm afraid it won't do much

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's evidence that it helps somewhat but we really don't know how much. It definitely helps with dandruff and itch though, so I think it's worth a buy at least once.

Does anybody have any studies comparing the efficacy of ketoconzaole only vs finasteride or minoxidil? That's what we need to see, a side by side with a decent sample size so that stats can be compared.

All I can find is a mouse study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24734193
The results demonstrated that Ketoconazole, Minoxidil, and Minoxidil with Tretinoin had a significant stimulatory effect on hair growth compared with the control group and Minoxidil was the most effective drug among them.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ketoconazole has anti androgenic properties. It's why they stopped using it in the oral form for fungal infection. Therefore, it MIGHT kills some androgens attached at the hair follicle. This hasn't been studied though as far as I know.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1526623
So basically if I'm reading it correctly (and not missing something) it binds to the androgen receptor, therefore it might bind to the androgen receptors in the hair follicle. The problem is that you'd probably have to lather and massage it into the scalp and then let it sit on your scalp for a decent time. I like to leave it on for 10 minutes. It has a half life of 2 hours, so it's not offering you much protection.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On an unrelated note, I love nizoral because I have always had an itchy, flaky scalp. My scalp feels so nice when I use it regularly. Even if it's not doing anything for hair loss, I get other benefits from it. I also got lucky that my hair is resistant to being dried out by it. Some people's hair seems to get fried by it.

BadHairLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
ketoconazole has anti androgenic properties. It's why they stopped using it in the oral form for fungal infection. Therefore, it MIGHT kills some androgens attached at the hair follicle. This hasn't been studied though as far as I know.

So basically if I'm reading it correctly (and not missing something) it binds to the androgen receptor, therefore it might bind to the androgen receptors in the hair follicle. The problem is that you'd probably have to lather and massage it into the scalp and then let it sit on your scalp for a decent time. I like to leave it on for 10 minutes. It has a half life of 2 hours, so it's not offering you much protection.

THANK YOU for digging this up. Nobody could answer this properly in any previous questions I've seen. Usually people say it reduces inflammation which would make it an optional addition and not part of the big three IMO.

My thoughts on this are: people who believe topical application of ketoconazole is worth the effort should better look for more potent topical anti-androgens like topical solutions/tinctures of finasteride or dutasteride. It seems inconsistent to promote Nizoral as part of the big three while at the same time ignoring or even being sceptical of other topical AAs.

cyclonus

Reaction score
My thoughts on this are: people who believe topical application of ketoconazole is worth the effort should better look for more potent topical anti-androgens like topical solutions/tinctures of finasteride or dutasteride. It seems inconsistent to promote Nizoral as part of the big three while at the same time ignoring or even being sceptical of other topical AAs.
Ket has virtually no systematic absorption from topical. Most other antiandrogens are not that benign when it comes to systematic absorption from topical application.

BadHairLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ket has virtually no systematic absorption from topical.
But does it have any noteworthy topical AA effect at all? Because that does not seem to be established at all AFAICT. You can get very moderate systemic AA effects from saw palmetto and the likes so you will likely tolerate them well but the flipside is that they won't do much for your hair either. Seems to me like ket is in the same category in terms of efficacy.

As for the systemic effects of other topical AAs the preliminary trials for finasteride seem to suggest they still result in a greater local and lesser systemic impact:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...one_in_healthy_men_with_androgenetic_alopecia

You're making it sound like any systemic absorption is a showstopper but i don't get the reasoning behind that. Milions of people are on oral finasteride. Some get sides. Sides decrease as a function of the systemic finasteride levels. Potent topical AAs will likely spell lower systemic impact than oral formulations while having a high impact on the scalp. So even fewer people will get sides compared to the #1 accepted and FDA-approved medication.

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest nizoral gives me a little piece of mind, that I'm using anything that could help.But that's just me.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest nizoral gives me a little piece of mind, that I'm using anything that could help.But that's just me.
For what it's worth, I believe it has some decent worth. Even with the short half life, if you can keep some dht and androgens from binding to the hair follicle, it's worth it for me. Also, the inflammation reduction is a benefit.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. Honestly anything that fights dht is worth a shot.
Not only dht, but it's a general anti androgen I believe. There is some speculation that dht isn't the only androgen that attacks hair follicles.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nizoral
Tried it three or four times over years no results. Try L’Oréal Stemoxidyne.
Make a very good shampoo & a topical.
EBay sells it. Seems to thicken my hair.