How Hard Is This And Why Don't More People Do It?

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw the following transformation on another forum. The person used small partial hair piece for the hairline. This has to be the best hair transformation I ve ever seen. Why isn't using small partials more common? Is it hard to have them glued or what? What are obstacles or the things I should consider if I want to do what this guy did?

SmartSelect_20190217-203701_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20190217-203712_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20190217-203723_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think they are, which is why the manufacturers cannot keep up with demand.

And... you don't notice them... since they ALL don't go on Forums... and you can't tell, on the street.

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think they are, which is why the manufacturers cannot keep up with demand.

And... you don't notice them... since they ALL don't go on Forums... and you can't tell, on the street.

What are the obstacles that I will face if I had similar hair to the one in the before picture?

Noah

Reaction score
My impression is that hair replacement for men is on the increase, partly because people are gradually becoming aware how good the modern generation of hair systems are, partly because they are also becoming aware of what a lottery hair transplants still are, and partly because the stigma attached to men using a bit of artificial help to look after their appearance is waning. So there are probably more guys doing it than you are conscious of. But it still isn't as widely known as perhaps it deserves to be. The majority of the population still associates male hair replacement with the old fashioned heavy thick toupee as seen on Fred Astaire or Frank Sinatra. Understandably, guys who are wearing today's ultra-lightweight ultra-realistic hair systems are not out shouting about it, so you tend to have to be 'in the know' to be aware of how far things have changed.

You can definitely get a great result from modern hair replacements. The issue with wearing tends to be the psychological aspect - will you be comfortable about wearing an artificial prosthetic, and maybe keeping it a secret? Will you be OK when at some point you gave to tell a future wife or partner, or if something happens and someone you haven't told finds out that you are wearing? Some guys are OK with these things; others are deeply uncomfortable, and for them the improvement in appearance is negated by that feeling of discomfort.

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My impression is that hair replacement for men is on the increase, partly because people are gradually becoming aware how good the modern generation of hair systems are, partly because they are also becoming aware of what a lottery hair transplants still are, and partly because the stigma attached to men using a bit of artificial help to look after their appearance is waning. So there are probably more guys doing it than you are conscious of. But it still isn't as widely known as perhaps it deserves to be. The majority of the population still associates male hair replacement with the old fashioned heavy thick toupee as seen on Fred Astaire or Frank Sinatra. Understandably, guys who are wearing today's ultra-lightweight ultra-realistic hair systems are not out shouting about it, so you tend to have to be 'in the know' to be aware of how far things have changed.

You can definitely get a great result from modern hair replacements. The issue with wearing tends to be the psychological aspect - will you be comfortable about wearing an artificial prosthetic, and maybe keeping it a secret? Will you be OK when at some point you gave to tell a future wife or partner, or if something happens and someone you haven't told finds out that you are wearing? Some guys are OK with these things; others are deeply uncomfortable, and for them the improvement in appearance is negated by that feeling of discomfort.

Did you look at the photos Noah? I was not asking about the hair system in general. I was asking about using a small partial frontal hair piece. This is what the guy in the photo used.

Noah

Reaction score
Ah, sorry Meeee159, excuse my ramblings in that case.

I have seen a few guys doing successfully what that guy has done - either a thin strip like that, or two little pieces to fill in the receding corners, or a slightly larger partial piece to replace the whole forelock. The smaller the piece, the more fiddly it is to get it into position - I think that is the main obstacle, but obviously it can be overcome with practice. The other issue (not really an obstacle) is whether to buy the hair as a custom-made piece, of to try to cut multiple pieces out of a stock system. Unfortunately all the main suppliers charge the same for a tiny custom piece like this guy is using as they charge for a full topper, so it is disproportionately expensive. On the other hand, if you are cutting strips out of a stockie it's much cheaper, but you only get one graduated hairline per hairpiece, so subsequent units are going to be ungraduated. Graduation at the hairline is an important part of getting a natural look, so either you end up with a less natural look or you try to recreate the graduation by pulling out some hairs.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
BTW, a graduated hairline is recommended even if you don't expose the hairline. My supplier does it, it makes the hair lie correctly, even if going forward, or to the side.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the biggest issue would be that you pay the same price for a partial piece. Other than that, I would say having a partial is superior to a full piece. The more of the hair that's your own the better it is. It's also a good place to start, you should be able to attach and cut it on your own as you have a full view of the area.

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the biggest issue would be that you pay the same price for a partial piece. Other than that, I would say having a partial is superior to a full piece. The more of the hair that's your own the better it is. It's also a good place to start, you should be able to attach and cut it on your own as you have a full view of the area.

I think there will be less stigma around having a partial. I ll never get into a long term relationship while having a full hair system on no matter how much my partner was understanding. But I feel the partial or the extension is ok.

Also I don't have to wear it 24/7. I can just wear a hat whenever I feel I don't want to put the system. I guess even if for one reason or another I had to take off my hat I don't think people will notice and will think this is what my hair looks like when it is not styled.

This+ finasteride to preserve the remaining hair (if i don't get side effects) can be a life savour.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there will be less stigma around having a partial. I ll never get into a long term relationship while having a full hair system on no matter how much my partner was understanding. But I feel the partial or the extension is ok.

Also I don't have to wear it 24/7. I can just wear a hat whenever I feel I don't want to put the system. I guess even if for one reason or another I had to take off my hat I don't think people will notice and will think this is what my hair looks like when it is not styled.

This+ finasteride to preserve the remaining hair (if i don't get side effects) can be a life savour.
Solid plan my man. I realize in hindsight this is what I should've done as well.
Get some got2b to start off, you should be able to do daily attachments and in case of an emergency, it's easy to clean up. I've not tried it myself tho. Also, don't go above 90% density no matter what.

Noah

Reaction score
@Noah , @BaldBearded
So I should ask for a low density hair system when I order one?

Yes, can't really answer that without knowing what you look like. Post a picture with your face blanked out. Or you can PM a picture to Baldbearded and/or me and we can advise you on density.

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, can't really answer that without knowing what you look like. Post a picture with your face blanked out. Or you can PM a picture to Baldbearded and/or me and we can advise you on density.
Done :)