How frequently should you be Washing hair on minoxidil

Gsm1005

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it necessary to wash once a day? My hair doesn’t get greasy and I don’t seem to have any irritation. I wash once a week but it makes me wonder if it has something to do with why mh hair is still falling. I have been on finasteride for 7 years and minoxidil for 2 years and no stop of hair loss. Started early and finasteride slowed down my hair loss but it seems to have sped up since starting minoxidil

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it necessary to wash once a day? My hair doesn’t get greasy and I don’t seem to have any irritation. I wash once a week but it makes me wonder if it has something to do with why mh hair is still falling. I have been on finasteride for 7 years and minoxidil for 2 years and no stop of hair loss. Started early and finasteride slowed down my hair loss but it seems to have sped up since starting minoxidil
My suggestion for you is to kill yourself.

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's a nuanced approach to washing your hair while using minoxidil, considering different factors:
Hair Type:
  • Oily Hair: For quicker-absorbing minoxidil solutions, washing your hair every other day may be ideal to prevent build-up and irritation. For foams, waiting 8 hours before washing is sometimes recommended.
  • Dry Hair: Stick to washing 2-3 times a week to avoid stripping natural oils. Ensure complete minoxidil absorption before washing.
  • Normal Hair: 2-3 times a week is usually suitable, but adjust based on oiliness.
Minoxidil Formulation:
  • Solution: Dries quickly and doesn't require specific washing times.
  • Foam: Some brands recommend waiting at least 4 hours, ideally 8, before washing to maximize absorption.
Individual Preferences:
  • Prioritize your comfort and what feels best for your scalp.
  • Monitor oiliness, itching, or irritation and adjust frequency accordingly.
Key Points:
  • Clean Scalp: Minoxidil works best on a clean scalp, so regular washing is important.
  • Prevent Build-up: Washing regularly prevents residue build-up and potential irritation.
  • Absorption Time: Consider waiting periods recommended for foams, but solutions generally don't require immediate washing.
  • Scalp Health: If you experience irritation, adjust washing frequency or consult your doctor.
Beyond Frequency:
  • Gentle Shampoo: Use a gentle, non-irritating shampoo to avoid stripping natural oils.
  • Cool/Lukewarm Water: Avoid very hot water, which can dry out your scalp.
  • Pat Dry Gently: Avoid harshly rubbing your scalp, which can irritate it.
Remember:
  • Consult your doctor/dermatologist: They can guide you based on your hair type, minoxidil form, and specific concerns.
  • Consistency is Key: Consistent minoxidil application, regardless of washing frequency, is crucial for hair regrowth.