How frequent are minoxidil side effects?

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about starting minoxidil recently, but I have decided to postpone it for now due to people citing various side effects. I've heard many instances of puffy face, edema in the ankles, forehead wrinkles, massive increase in body hair, heart abnormalities etc

Also, it seems that most people get scalp irritation from using minoxidil? Wouldnt this be counterproductive to hairloss? Just wondering how high you guys think side effects are from minoxidil? I know propecia is around 2% but minoxidil seems very high.

Discuss.

CCS

Reaction score
i think the scalp irritation is more common than any propecia side effects, but the other stuff is kind of rare. I never got any.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK

I've been doing Mnox for 3 weeks for. Side effects thus far have been:

* Considerably increased heart rate after application (to dry scalp)
* Burning sensation on scalp, particularly those areas that have little or no hair coverage.
* Small swelling on the inside soles of both feet. No pain. I am guessing this is due to some form of water retention but I don't really know.

Sides have eased slightly with continued use. I am on brand name 5% Rogaine but there are other solutions which may help reduce sides if you're prone to them. Spectral DNC (or whatever it's called) sounds interesting.

I would advise trying a few different forms of minoxidil before giving up on it.

wooly

Reaction score
I've had a few with 5% Costco minoxidil

As previously mentioned in my other post, I've had the rapid heart beat, and a sort of hyper-tensive feeling in my chest. I also was feeling really tired at the end of the day which i can only attribute to the minoxidil since my routine hasn't really changed. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the scalp ache or dull headache that I had after every application.

I've stopped using the product for a few days and the headaches are gone and energy levels are returning to normal. My hypertension is also subsiding. However, I really do think the minoxidil was working so I purchased some Isopropyl Alcohol and plan on diluting the 5% minoxidil with equal parts alcohol. I read somewhere that this was a good diluting method. If anyone can confirm that would be great!

I'm hoping this works and that my body was just absorbing too much of the 5% concentration. If the side effects come back, I'll be off for good.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
My side effects from taking minoxidil:
- extremely sensitive/dry skin
- forehead lines
- itching/irritation
- rapid heartbeat (only for the first week or so)

Not really side effects, more like just annoyances:
- white residue
- white flakes (resembling dandruff) when scalp is scratched
- not being able to wear a hat after applying

Felk

Reaction score
Forehead lines from minoxidil? Is there any evidence that minoxidil can cause this?

beaner

Reaction score
This is why I'm glad that I started minoxidil before discovering hair loss forums....had no knowledge of side effects (other than vague warnings on the box) and never had any. This sometimes makes me wonder that if minoxidil/propecia were advertised to have no side effects, how many would really "have" them....and Felk...I highly doubt minoxidil causes forehead lines...there is no evidence other than antecdotal by those who can't accept they are getting older and forehead lines are totally normal when one reaches adulthood. To the original poster...side effects (except perhaps scalp irritation) are very rare...I wouldn't worry too much about it.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
This is why I'm glad that I started minoxidil before discovering hair loss forums....had no knowledge of side effects (other than vague warnings on the box) and never had any. This sometimes makes me wonder that if minoxidil/propecia were advertised to have no side effects, how many would really "have" them...

The info leaflet supplied with my minoxidil was very specific about sides - it lists -

Blood pressure changes
Rapid heart beat
New or worsening pain in the chest
dizziness, light-headedness or fainting
Rapid weight gain
Swelling or puffiness of hands and feet
Persistent redness.

It also goes on to qualify a further four or five more minor sides. We're not just making this up. I don't find them too unpleasant and I'm planning to continue the treatment.

Wooly, I'm glad to see you're experimenting - I hope you find a formula that works for you.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry Beaner, I read your post all wrong - need new glasses (another minoxidil side maybe). (':roll:')

beaner

Reaction score
tchehov said:
Sorry Beaner, I read your post all wrong - need new glasses (another minoxidil side maybe). (':roll:')

lol..that's ok. I tend to post things in the morning when I'm half asleep and realize it makes no sense or I misread a post I was responding to. I usually get lucky and notice in time to edit. Actually I should have edited that one, because I have experienced rapid hearbeat from minoxidil on a number of occasions when I applied too much.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I have a bad habit of skim-reading some posts, especially those with any sort of technical jargon.

The sad truth is I'm willing to suffer any number of minor side-effects to experience some regrowth. I would draw the line at taking anything which threatened to seriously undermine my health, but apart from that - bring 'em on.

shel74nf

Reaction score
i'm starting to wonder if having low blood presure to begin with makes you more susceptable to sides? since it was originally designed for people with high blood pressure, i wonder if it has a negative affect for those with low..dunno just a theory.

CCS

Reaction score
maybe. i leared you should only apply it where it is thinning.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
shel74nf said:
i'm starting to wonder if having low blood presure to begin with makes you more susceptable to sides? since it was originally designed for people with high blood pressure, i wonder if it has a negative affect for those with low..dunno just a theory.

That's interesting - I have low blood pressure, or did have the last time I was tested. Do they still use it, or a variation of it, for the original purpose?

I have no problem applying it - I just slap it on because I'm diffused all over. Mine came with 3 applicators - a dropper, spray and roll-on, spoiled for choice. Actually I find the roll-on the most useful because you can massage the stuff into your scalp with it.

I don't like topicals much - never used shampoo - used to wash my hair with soap and water. The irony of it all.

agent_sam

Reaction score
to the guys experiencing side effects:-
how much ru using? 1 ml or more?
which part of head do u use it? temples? crown or all over

to the guy asking the question
dude, ive been 5 weeks on it, the only thing ive experienced is flaking and shedding
im using rogaine 5% just under 1 ml morning and night
i use it all over, spray it on and around the crown and gently massage it all over
i dnt spray directly on temples or anything, just in case if it effects facial hair or eyebrows

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been using a week or so, makes my hair look like $hit, makes the scalp feels okay, flaking other than that nothing. i use 1ml-2ml. i couldn't sleep after applying minoxidil