How Finasteride Has Destroyed My Life

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you willingly take a drug that, by definition , permanently and irreversibly alters your hormonal balance and expect that there aren’t serious consequences in either the short or long term, you are deluding yourself. Some experience minimal effects for years, only for them to show themselves later. Some experience a whole swath of side effects from day one. You have to decide whether a chance at keeping your hair is worth the risk.

The most common side effect of finasteride is sexual dysfunction of varying degrees and because of the way it works it may be permanent even upon cessation. If you’re comfortable with that and go in eyes open to the other possible effects and decide you’re good with that then more power to you.

What is utterly unacceptable is when an individual who experiences minimal sides derides and dismisses those who didn’t get as lucky and are experiencing severe forms of known side effects. One thing that is known about finasteride is that sides are known to increase in number and severity over time. Maybe you get lucky and this never happens to you, but if and when it does, don’t expect any sympathy.

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s shitty is to be someone who experiences minimal sides and to deride and dismiss those who didn’t get as lucky and are experiencing severe forms of known side effects. Should things ever change for you, and they will as it is inevitable, do not expect any sympathy.

This. The lack of empathy here on this forum is appalling.

HLV

Scottio19

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you know for a fact things will change for people who have experienced no side effects for years?

Please show the facts of that statement

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing that is known about finasteride is that sides are known to increase in number and severity over time. Maybe you get lucky and this never happens to you, but if and when it does, don’t expect any sympathy.
Is there a study done to back up that claim? From what I understand, side-effects from 5ar inhibitors tend to either stay the same or get less over time as your body adjusts to your new hormone levels. I had bad side-effects for the first few weeks of using dutasteride (very low libido, soft erections, testicle ache, fatigue, possible brain fog), which gradually lessened over time to the point of being very mild in the case of the sexual sides (libido, erections), and non-existent in the case of the other sides. They have remained very mild / non-existent ever since, and I have been using dutasteride for over five years.

Last edited:

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a study done to back up that claim? From what I understand, side-effects from 5ar inhibitors tend to either stay the same or get less over time as your body adjusts to your new hormone levels. I had bad side-effects for the first few weeks of using dutasteride (very low libido, soft erections, testicle ache, fatigue), which gradually lessened over time to the point of being very mild in the case of the sexual sides, and non-existent in the case of the other sides. They have remained very mild / non-existent ever since, and I have been using dutasteride for over five years.

I've actually seen quite a few reports from people over the years that in some situations they begin to experience side effects down the road, but i do not know of any scientific study to back that up. I don't think there is one.

HLV

whatintheworld

Reaction score
If you willingly take a drug that, by definition , permanently and irreversibly alters your hormonal balance and expect that there aren’t serious consequences in either the short or long term, you are deluding yourself. Some experience minimal effects for years, only for them to show themselves later. Some experience a whole swath of side effects from day one. You have to decide whether a chance at keeping your hair is worth the risk.

The most common side effect of finasteride is sexual dysfunction of varying degrees and because of the way it works it may be permanent even upon cessation. If you’re comfortable with that and go in eyes open to the other possible effects and decide you’re good with that then more power to you.

What is utterly unacceptable is when an individual who experiences minimal sides derides and dismisses those who didn’t get as lucky and are experiencing severe forms of known side effects. One thing that is known about finasteride is that sides are known to increase in number and severity over time. Maybe you get lucky and this never happens to you, but if and when it does, don’t expect any sympathy.

I don't think that is happening here. Had the OP stated he had been taking the drug for months, his story, although unlikely, would be much more believable. It is hard to fathom all of this could have happened from a single pill, and thus it leads other forum members to suspect there may be some other agenda behind his post.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've actually seen quite a few reports from people over the years that in some situations they begin to experience side effects down the road, but i do not know of any scientific study to back that up. I don't think there is one.

HLV
I don't think the poster above me should have stated it as fact if there have been no studies done on it. It could be that the people on this site who have reported side-effects down the road could have developed those symptoms anyway due to a different cause. It is a known fact that the chances of erectile dysfunction increase hugely with age, and most men's libido does decrease naturally with age. Non-sexual side-effects such as depression would be very hard to say for certain are being caused by the finasteride usage. For someone who gets sides straight away when starting finasteride, it is clear that the finasteride is the cause, but this cannot be said as easily for those who develop symptoms down the road.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a study done to back up that claim? From what I understand, side-effects from 5ar inhibitors tend to either stay the same or get less over time as your body adjusts to your new hormone levels. I had bad side-effects for the first few weeks of using dutasteride (very low libido, soft erections, testicle ache, fatigue, possible brain fog), which gradually lessened over time to the point of being very mild in the case of the sexual sides (libido, erections), and non-existent in the case of the other sides. They have remained very mild / non-existent ever since, and I have been using dutasteride for over five years.
This could actually mean that your body to adjust started to attempt to produce even more DHT, i read about this reaction of one's body and that if you once discontinue the drug the incoming influx of all DHT that was inhibited on the drug will burn the receptors that had to adjust to depletion of it and that's where a crash might happen as basis for PFS syndrome. How's your hair on duta?

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think that is happening here. Had the OP stated he had been taking the drug for months, his story, although unlikely, would be much more believable. It is hard to fathom all of this could have happened from a single pill, and thus it leads other forum members to suspect there may be some other agenda behind his post.

Whatever agenda it is, it’s not the most thought out one if he’s plastering his face on the internet stating he’s impotent, hence why I believe him about the ED he described.

HLV

Ryan2310

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This could actually mean that your body to adjust started to attempt to produce even more DHT, i read about this reaction of one's body and that if you once discontinue the drug the incoming influx of all DHT that was inhibited on the drug will burn the receptors that had to adjust to depletion of it and that's where a crash might happen as basis for PFS syndrome. How's your hair on duta?

Yes you are correct this is the reason for post finasteride syndrome it usually happens when someone stops taking the drug I had an instant reaction but it started to subside and within week 2 I had a crash and that is were everything went downhill. Propeciahelp have proposed that this is the mechanism behind PFS as DHT floods back into the receptors sites at 333% the normal rate causes a silencing of receptors.

Ryan2310

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatever agenda it is, it’s not the most thought out one if he’s plastering his face on the internet stating he’s impotent, hence why I believe him about the ED he described.

HLV

Someone who actually has a bit of common sense amen.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If my body has produced more DHT as some kind of mechanism of adjusting (and hence being the cause of the side-effects reducing over time), it would still only end up being a tiny fraction of the DHT levels that I had pre-dutasteride, unless my body were to adjust by attempting to produce an absolutely insane amount of DHT, which I don't think is backed up by the existing evidence. The dutasteride has put a complete stop to my hair loss, and has given me extensive thickening in my crown area and some regrowth in my temple area too. I suppose that the fact the dutasteride has worked also means that my body couldn't have tried to adjust by attempting to produce massive amounts of DHT.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If my body has produced more DHT as some kind of mechanism of adjusting, it would still only end up being a tiny fraction of the DHT levels that I had pre-dutasteride, unless my body were to adjust by attempting to produce an absolutely insane amount of DHT, which I don't think is backed up by the existing evidence. The dutasteride has put a complete stop to my hair loss, and has given me extensive thickening in my crown area and some regrowth in my temple area too. I suppose that the fact the dutasteride has worked also means that my body couldn't have tried to adjust by trying to produce huge amounts of DHT.
There's a way body adopts to it, it might attempt to produce more DHT, but also as i read in scientific article from some surgeon, your receptors in different body parts that intake and bind DHT start adjusting to it and try to use more of the remaining DHT in the blood, and then once you stop inhibiting the DHT production, the influx of this newly created DHT burns those sensible adjusted receptors. In other words after you've been on finasteride/duta for more than few years, it's seemingly dangerous to get off of it.

Also gz on this result, f*****g amazing to have that. What about sides? They all slowly disappeared?

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im 3rd day into 1mg finasteride 2nd course and im experiencing light twitching in my right biceps, not sure if its connected at all lmao

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a way body adopts to it, it might attempt to produce more DHT, but also as i read in scientific article from some surgeon, your receptors in different body parts that intake and bind DHT start adjusting to it and try to use more of the remaining DHT in the blood, and then once you stop inhibiting the DHT production, the influx of this newly created DHT burns those sensible adjusted receptors. In other words after you've been on finasteride/duta for more than few years, it's seemingly dangerous to get off of it.

Also gz on this result, f*****g amazing to have that. What about sides? They all slowly disappeared?
That's fair enough I guess. I'd better make sure I never stop taking dutasteride then lol, even if a more effective alternative eventually comes out.
Yeah I'm very pleased with the results. The dutasteride has been a life-saver in my case. The sides were bad for the first few weeks and then gradually lessened. I still have very mild sexual sides, but they are not a problem and are perfectly manageable.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It can happen from a single pill you can doubt what you like but this is my testimony so either I’m lying or I’m not it’s one or the two but why would someone go to the trouble of exposing themselves like that and have visited all these doctors and paying thousands in private care. It doesn’t add up does it? I get it I would be critical of someone too if they said they got this all from one pill but I did and that’s that. You see I have heard the term placebo and all this rubbish on this forum before I even took the drug those that came here talking about side effects were shut down and told it was all in their head and Instead of believing them I believed people like you. Placebo doesn’t shrink your dick, cause complete sexual dysfunction, causes extremely dry skin, ringing in your ears, chronic diarrhoea, blurry vision and floaters these are all physical symptoms.
Placebo can cause ED. You’re brain creates the illusion that you cant get hard if you continue on taking finasteride. As to the other sides, some cant be caused by finasteride. I am not saying you’re lying. What I am saying is that you may be deceived by your very own brain, and believe me this sucker is powerful.
I haven’t critised Ikarus because of his extreme regimen in this thread. I’ve pointed out his treatment of the OP as being unnaceptable.

HLV
Yeah I know. I’ve said it as in general, to point out Ikarus is a valuable member.
But a search engine will never compare to actually going and getting a degree in that field Ikarus. That’s the simple truth of it.

HLV
While I do agree, when multiple, double-blind, controlled experimental long-term studies shows that a certain drug doesnt have sides/extreme sides, it is very safe to claim the drug’s safety, without the need to get a degree in the medicine field.
The degree is very important. But speaking in the domain of drugs’ side effects, appropriate studies will suffice.

Reactions: HLV

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's fair enough I guess. I'd better make sure I never stop taking dutasteride then lol, even if a more effective alternative eventually comes out.
Yeah I'm very pleased with the results. The dutasteride has been a life-saver in my case. The sides were bad for the first few weeks and then gradually lessened. I still have very mild sexual sides, but they are not a problem and are perfectly manageable.

Have you tried finasteride before taking duta?

whatintheworld

Reaction score

HLV

He is not plastering his face all over the internet. We have no way to know if any pictures he has posted are actually him. He is still completely anonymous.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried finasteride before taking duta?
I took finasteride very briefly for a few weeks before switching to dutasteride. In hindsight, it might not have been a sensible decision for me to switch to dutasteride so soon, because I hadn't given the finasteride enough time to see if it worked, and also because the finasteride gave me side-effects and I therefore knew that dutasteride would too and more severe. But it has all worked out okay in the end, as the side-effects have hugely lessened over time as my body has adjusted to the change in hormone levels, and I also have my hair back.

Are you taking either finasteride or dutasteride yourself?

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took finasteride very briefly for a few weeks before switching to dutasteride. In hindsight, it might not have been a sensible decision for me to switch to dutasteride so soon, because I hadn't given the finasteride enough time to see if it worked, and also because the finasteride gave me side-effects and I therefore knew that dutasteride would too and more severe. But it has all worked out okay in the end, as the side-effects have hugely lessened over time as my body has adjusted to the change in hormone levels, and I also have my hair back.

Are you taking either finasteride or dutasteride yourself?

Yeah I ve been taking it for around 6 weeks. . Zero side effects at the moment but hair loss is the same or maybe it has slightly increased