How Fast Does The Shedding Start To Occur

jeb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I jumped into Rogain just five days ago and the itching and irritation, in addition to the eventual shedding which I didn't fully comprehend the ramifications of until I had already started (assumed it was just 2 weeks, now I'm reading horror stories of months), is causing me to reconsider. My question is how fast does the shedding occur? The thing is I wasn't quite sure I was balding anyway. I'm 39. My father said he started losing his hair at 40 so I naturally freaked out when I noticed a loss on the sides and thought I would get the jump on it.

At first I started treating the deepening of the corners, but then gradually started applying the excess of the dropper farther and farther to the center. Am I already doomed to loose hair there? Is it too late to stop? I apologize if these questions are stupid or if there's already a thread for this, but the shedding only occurs in the areas you apply it, right? Have I destroyed my hairline just in 5 days?

EDIT: Just washed my head to get it out for the first time in 2 days (this was day 5) and noticed an increase in loss. So I guess I got my answer.

Last edited:

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your are now just starting to bald and still have a thick head of hair I wouldn't use minoxidil. But i don't think a couple of weeks will ruin your hairline.. I would suggest trying finasteride first and then later on (if needed) start minoxidil.
I say this for two reasons:
1- minoxidil doesn't stop male pattern baldness;
2- it screwed my hair and I hate myself for starting it so soon...

So i will always say try fina first, unless you're already a high Norwood. That's just my two cents..