How Dutasteride utterly destroyed my hair and why you shouldn't take it

jazz1

Reaction score
I mean your hair was not bad for a start and why did you try Dutasteride first? Why not Finasteride? the hair will grow back so don’t panic and what brand medication did you use?

Nostro300

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Androgenetic alopecia keeps surprising me. I think im in the same situation (or worse). Im a difusse thinner since 16yo. Started Duta 6 months ago because finasteride wasnt doing sh*t and my shedding was incressing. The shedding stopped about 2 months ago but now I m like your frontal shaved picture (or WORSE). The light really shines in my scalp an reflects it.

idk why is it called androgenetic alopecia because when you cut out the androgens, it just gets worse. the DHT paradox of growing hair on the body but killing it on the scalp, becomes a double paradox when you eliminate DHT and it kills even MORE your hair.

Lets think about this for a second. Could it be quantity? Maybe people who dont suffer from androgenetic alopecia do need DHT (your scalp was full of hairs and then you cut the supply of dht).

Could it be that too much testosterone kills hair? (less converted testosterone = more overal testosterone) but testosterone has a lower affinity to the androgen receptor.

Seriously, the only thing I can see here is an unnecessary shedding. Usually we view shedding as a good thing because it means the drug is working BUT in your case, the shedding is affecting very healthy hairs. You arne't alone tho. People shed after 9 months on finasteride, so instead of freaking out like "this drug sucks", lets think on "why is cutting the DHT supply isnt working".
hlt1.png

I will do more research and get back on you

Last edited:

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean your hair was not bad for a start and why did you try Dutasteride first? Why not Finasteride? the hair will grow back so don’t panic and what brand medication did you use?
i was greedy and wanted regrowth to get back to NW1 that's why i tried Dutasteride, i'm paying the price for my greed now

And the brand is Avodart which is the most legit Dutasteride as far as i know

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could it be that too much testosterone kills hair? (less converted testosterone = more overal testosterone) but testosterone has a lower affinity to the androgen receptor
idk man since i used Spironolactone when i was so depressed which kills T and it made things even worse and i kept itching more. I'm off both of them now and i'm much better mentally but i hope we will both regrow our lost hair

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair was wonderful before. You sure the high temples weren't just a genetic trait?

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup can confirm same happened to me. I'm about 6 weeks off it and I'm starting to see vellus hairs where there weren't any before, plus shedding seems less. Avoid that sh*t, gone back to finasteride only and have been on for the past 8 years.
Can you tell me more about your experience please?

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing to tell, same as yours. No benefits but loads of losses, sex drive got worse too
i've had opposite reaction to the sex drive stuff, i felt like my penis was always tingling lol. It was like i was always sexually simulated and i could masturbate for 4 times consecutively without problems. After getting off of it i had a crash and my sex drive is recovering slowly

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
What a mistake to jump right onto Dutasteride at first sign of hair thinning. The worst thing you can do right now is stop. I went through the samething but much worse and for much longer. My shed lasted almost 12 months. Good knowledgeable dudes like Bryan (RIP), El Duterino, and many others said to wait it out and I did. No matter how much I panicked I could not understand why it would be a cause of hair loss. I waited it out to the point I started wearing concealer and then baseball cap every single day. Eventually my hair regrew what it lost plus some. Thickness was insane.

I can’t emphasize this enough, shedding after treatment is a good sign and to wait it out. If people don’t want sheds then stay off treatments entirely and go bald in grace.

NoDiggity30

My Regimen
Reaction score
What a mistake to jump right onto Dutasteride at first sign of hair thinning. The worst thing you can do right now is stop. I went through the samething but much worse and for much longer. My shed lasted almost 12 months. Good knowledgeable dudes like Bryan (RIP), El Duterino, and many others said to wait it out and I did. No matter how much I panicked I could not understand why it would be a cause of hair loss. I waited it out to the point I started wearing concealer and then baseball cap every single day. Eventually my hair regrew what it lost plus some. Thickness was insane.

I can’t emphasize this enough, shedding after treatment is a good sign and to wait it out. If people don’t want sheds then stay off treatments entirely and go bald in grace.
In my case I was on it for 18 months and shed the entire time. No thanks

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score

The problem isn't just the shedding. It's also oily scalp and skin, acne that i didn't have before, increased itching, increased sex drive and penis sensations, something just isn't right with my body

I quit now and the itching is much better, i hope i will recover what i lost and then i will look into other medications that won't mess with my hormonal profile

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Did you get any blood tests done?

Remember, dutasteride (and finasteride) can increase Testosterone by a fair bit, which while not as potent as DHT, still can negatively affect your hair.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't just the shedding. It's also oily scalp and skin, acne that i didn't have before, increased itching, increased sex drive and penis sensations, something just isn't right with my body

I quit now and the itching is much better, i hope i will recover what i lost and then i will look into other medications that won't mess with my hormonal profile

What you’re describing sounds like a result of increased testosterone. It can raise your test levels by about 20%. That will cause increased sex drive, penile sensations, and itching especially when your androgen receptors are very sensitive. If your ar’s are that sensitive add topical ketokonazole shampoo into your regimen.
Pardon my error, I should have mentioned that in my previous post. I eventually added ketokonazole shampoo 2% to counteract.

Sad part is you may have basically accelerated your own hair loss. Best of luck brother.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
His hair was so nice and thick it almost looks like a hairpiece. If you’re off dutasteride for good, just use finasteride and minoxidil on your frontal regions as you should have on day 1 instead of dutasteride

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you get any blood tests done?

Remember, dutasteride (and finasteride) can increase Testosterone by a fair bit, which while not as potent as DHT, still can negatively affect your hair.
No i didn't get any blood tests done

Also i attempted spironolactone when i was desperate and it made my itching and things worse in general, then what's the culprit here? I think my AR sensitivity has increased somehow due to messing with my hormones

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
What you’re describing sounds like a result of increased testosterone. It can raise your test levels by about 20%. That will cause increased sex drive, penile sensations, and itching especially when your androgen receptors are very sensitive. If your ar’s are that sensitive add topical ketokonazole shampoo into your regimen.
Pardon my error, I should have mentioned that in my previous post. I eventually added ketokonazole shampoo 2% to counteract.

Sad part is you may have basically accelerated your own hair loss. Best of luck brother.
Thank you, i don't think it's testosterone alone since i took 200 MG spironolactone when i was desperate and it didn't do anything for me except making things worse somehow