how does transplanted hair grow back?

Vega

Reaction score
hi guys
please can anyone who has had a hair transplant describe for me the way hair begins to grow back, what should i be looking for as a sign that the hairs have started growing again.

my doctor says at 12 weeks you should see something, i'm at 10 weeks and i can see really really fine hairs about a few centimeters long starting to grow, is this the normal process? how long will it be before those hairs grow thicker?

thanks
D

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
LC, I thought someone would chime in on this. I am about 9 weeks post op. I see some very fine hairs that have come in also. Mine are growing quite rapidly. Some are 5mm long or more. They differ from some of the stubble (prickley) hairs that were transplanted hairs that never shed. I can't answer your question with certainty. This is my first hair transplant, but I think that is the way they come in.

Gillenator, could you enlighten us?

G

Well it sure is exciting to hear you both are having good post-op growth! So CONGRATS to both of you.:D

There are several dynamics which take place post-op which stimulate the re-growth of both the natural and transplanted hair. It would probably be more helpful if I address each of them.

Our scalps sustain a fair amount of trauma/shock from the hair transplant procedure altogethor both in the donor and recipient areas. Where ever there has been a cut, extraction, or recipient site made the follicules in the immediate "and" neighboring areas sense the trauma and a fair amount of them behave defensively and retreat into the telogen (resting) phase where they lie dormant for approximately three months. And yes the times frames can vary somewhat between patients as both of you are now experiencing. After the follicules have rested they begin to grow new hairs (anagen) and usually in the fourth month or so we can visually see the new hair cylinders break above the scalpline. That no doubt is exciting to see!

And as the new hairs begin to grow again they tend to come in with thinner caliper than our existing terminal hair. I talk with many patients who tell me on a daily basis that their hair is coming in but they look so "skinny"! That's okay because with time and continued growth, the hairs will also get fatter to original caliper where they were pre-transplant. For some this can take up to fourteen months post-op. By ten months or so post-op one can assume that the grafts that "did grow" are now visible above the scalp. It is between ten and fourteen months post -op that the original caliper comes back and believe me "it makes all the difference". Caliper is considered as the single most critical factor in attaing the illusion of coverage. I used to think it was density but it is not. I believe that is the consensous of most reputable hair transplant surgeons. BTW, I had this exxperience myself in all three of my procedures.

I do need to address shockloss and the effect it has on our "natural hair", especially the diffused ones. One of the aspects every patient would want to consider is that the hair transplant procedure in itself can PERMANENTLY shock out some of our natural hair. This usually is true with the weakest hair adversely affected by DHT especially weak vellus hair. That's why the diffusing hairloss patient needs to take EXTRA precaution when making the decisions involving the hair transplant process. Now don't get me wrong, I did not say nor imply that "none" of the natural hair will re-grow again because for most a larger percent does in fact grow back. Just remember that there is NEVER such a thing as 100% yield nor 100% re-growth. That's a fact. If anyone ever tells you to the contrary, THEY ARE STRAIGHT UP LYING TO YOU!

So in closing, most patients will in fact see both the natural hair and transplanted hair grow in togethor. So hey guys, keep us posted of your progress! Just wait till you get six months and on post-op, man that's when lots start coming in! :D

Hope this was helpful, Gill.

Vega

Reaction score
great reply, thanks alot gille!

it has to be one of the most frustrating things i've ever experienced waiting for the new hairs to grow. they dont tell you that when they do it! but it will all be worth it if it works well.

G

You're very welcome LC and I've been there myself. But hang in there because you are on the threshhold of when lots should be coming through! :wink:

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks Gillenator. What a pleasure it is to be able to discuss things with someone knowledgeable.

LC_Vega, happy growing to ya!

G

You're welcome Gorpy :wink: It will be exciting to hear of both your progress in the coming months!

Vega

Reaction score
now at 16 weeks.

still not an enormous amount to see, but the hairline implants are now growing especially well right around the middle of the hairline. Less so around the temples.. Still not seen much from the ones behind the hairline, although its more difficult to tell there they are 2 and 3 hair grafts, is it normal that the single grafts grow quicker, that seems to be whats happening to me?

how are you others guys going? gorpy, sublime??

see ya later LC

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
LC, I am seeing quite a bit of growth now at 3months. I'm seeing more in back than in the front. I mean the hairline is coming in slower than the top of the head. The top of my head is coming in so thick now that there is a noticable shadowing effect already. I'm happy so far. Now if only that hairline would catch up with the back :?

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
guys when this hair is growing back is it noticable that you had a hair transplant, meaning do people see that something is not right up top? I am getting a procedure done on the 16th of this month to fill in my hairline. My biggest concern is the period till the hair looks normal, i dont want people starring at my head thinking WTF is wrong with this guys dome. Although my hair is long and straight and should cover all the hairline work that gets done. I dont think any part of my head needs to get shaved other then the back donor.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of things that happen. First, most of the transplanted hair sheds after a week or two and you tend to look like you did pre-transplant. There could be some lingering redness (more like pinkness) for a while. Some of the transplanted hair does not shed and will sit there for a while and then finally grow or shed. This kind of non shedding hair tends to be more noticable because it is thick textured mature hair. It kind of looks like beard stubble. But, normally this type of hair is minimal and therefore is not very noticable. Second, the grafts that shed, come back in after 3 months or so. It is baby fine hair that is not even visible without magnification at first. It slowly grows and thickens which causes a very gradual shading effect. It looks very natural. No one will notice it.

Check with your doctor to ask if they shave your recipient area. Some docs go a little overboard with this and you could look kind of funny for a while.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Gorpy said:
There are a couple of things that happen. First, most of the transplanted hair sheds after a week or two and you tend to look like you did pre-transplant. There could be some lingering redness (more like pinkness) for a while. Some of the transplanted hair does not shed and will sit there for a while and then finally grow or shed. This kind of non shedding hair tends to be more noticable because it is thick textured mature hair. It kind of looks like beard stubble. But, normally this type of hair is minimal and therefore is not very noticable. Second, the grafts that shed, come back in after 3 months or so. It is baby fine hair that is not even visible without magnification at first. It slowly grows and thickens which causes a very gradual shading effect. It looks very natural. No one will notice it.

Check with your doctor to ask if they shave your recipient area. Some docs go a little overboard with this and you could look kind of funny for a while.

Thanks for the post, i am most worried about looking weird after this, i dont want anyone to notice anything. My hair in the back is longer prolly a few inches, so im hoping it will cover what was used as donor.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that different doctors have different techniques. I have noticed some docs will shave the back donar area and will leave a huge gap in your hair that is impossible to hide without a hat. Others like my Doctor (Dr. Keene), carefully trim the donar area with scissors and in my case leave no gap at all in the back. Also, many doctors shave the recipient area plus a little bit more around it. These subtle differences in technique can make a big difference in the post op appearance. Be sure you go in knowing what to expect.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Gorpy said:
Keep in mind that different doctors have different techniques. I have noticed some docs will shave the back donar area and will leave a huge gap in your hair that is impossible to hide without a hat. Others like my Doctor (Dr. Keene), carefully trim the donar area with scissors and in my case leave no gap at all in the back. Also, many doctors shave the recipient area plus a little bit more around it. These subtle differences in technique can make a big difference in the post op appearance. Be sure you go in knowing what to expect.

Alvi armani is doing it and from what the rep for him told me i should be ok.

Vega

Reaction score
im at 19 weeks now, slight over 4 months, i can see the odd hair coming through, mostly in the central region rather than in the temples. However if i run my finger over the area, it feels like stubble from a beard would feel after a weeks growth, thick and brittle. The whole transplant area is covered by this feeling, but i cant really see anything obvious (other than in the middle of the hairline). Anyone else experienced anything similar to this?