How Does Spironolactone Work Exactly?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
So is it an an anti androgen that lower testosterone, does that mean it turns aromatase then in to estrogen or have i got it all wrong? probably should have read more up on it before i started but im just curious. Im pretty desperate, i will try it for six months then switch to cypro if i see no results.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
It basically just binds to the AR instead of androgens (DHT, T) which prohibits the effects of said androgens. In theory at least . Dont expect much from spironolactone no one seems to get any benefit from it.

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Spironolactone in high doses works as an androgen receptor blocker, Cyproterone Acetate is an antigonadotropin which inhibits androgen production. With an androgen receptor blocker there will still be testosterone in normal to elevated serum levels that can aromatise and act on unblocked receptors. The later "Cyproterone" can actually cause hair follicle apoptosis by elevated Prolactin in some people.

Last edited:

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Spironolactone in high doses works as an androgen receptor blocker, Cyproterone Acetate is an antigonadotropin which inhibits androgen production. With an androgen receptor blocker there will still be testosterone in normal to elevated serum levels that can aromatise and act on unblocked receptors. The later can actually cause hair follicle apoptosis by elevating Prolactin in some people.

What is your opinion on bicalutamide?

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your opinion on bicalutamide?

Bicalutiamide is also an androgen receptor blocker but more potent than Spironolactone. I have never used Bicalutamide but I have heard that the side effects are easier to deal with than spironolactone. If I had to do things over again I would have probably chose Bicalutamide.