How Does Rogaine Help If Shedding And No Regrowth?

Michelle828

My Regimen
Reaction score
People say how shedding is normal and that its a sign minoxidil is working. But I've read a lot of stories where people that uses this treatment never experienced regrowth? So how is the "shedding" phase a sign it's working? I've been on it for a month now and my hair is incredibly thinner and STILL sheeding I'm a 34 year woman btw. Thanks.

Michelle828

My Regimen
Reaction score
The word shedding is used loosely in this community. No one should consider shedding as a sign that a treatment works, anyone who tells you this is not giving you good information. The only way to know if a treatment is working is if you get results and this unfortunately takes time. Now, some treatments such as Finasteride and Dutasteride cause temporary sheds due to hormonal changes. This means the drug has effected your endocrine system however, it doesn't mean you'll be a responder and achieve hair regrowth. I am not familiar with minoxidil enough to tell you why a shed occurs, but never take shedding as a sign that a treatment is working. It's one of those things that you unfortunately have to go through before you know if you will respond or not.
Very interesting. Thank you for your input! I see new growth on my right side of scalp but unfortunately not on the left side =( Maybe in due time. Anyway, I really appreciate you responding back on my thread. Means alot!

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i shed heavy week 3 and 4 on minoxidil...week 5 i saw some growth.

I still shed but normal for me shed. only week 3 and 4 was a large increase in shedding

Even my eyebrows thicken up much faster between waxing.

I looked like sh*t for month 1 and 2 then month 3 and 4 i saw good growth coming in.

Michelle828

My Regimen
Reaction score
i shed heavy week 3 and 4 on minoxidil...week 5 i saw some growth.

I still shed but normal for me shed. only week 3 and 4 was a large increase in shedding

Even my eyebrows thicken up much faster between waxing.

I looked like sh*t for month 1 and 2 then month 3 and 4 i saw good growth coming in.

Ok good good. I'm starting to get the warm and fuzzies now lol and yes I know what you mean about looking like sh*t! I'm reAlly looking forward to seeing results sooner than later. The shedding I went thru was AWFUL. Now though it's calmed down alot so I'm hoping it's all coming to an end and I'll start reaping the benefits here soon.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok good good. I'm starting to get the warm and fuzzies now lol and yes I know what you mean about looking like sh*t! I'm reAlly looking forward to seeing results sooner than later. The shedding I went thru was AWFUL. Now though it's calmed down alot so I'm hoping it's all coming to an end and I'll start reaping the benefits here soon.

Most people who get regrowth from minoxidil do get a shed of some kind before they see regrowth.

it synchs the hair cycles and thats why it sheds..then the hair starts to regrow.

results vary for people.

Michelle828

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I really do HOPE I'm a good responder. My derm diagnosed me with AA so also getting injections every month or so. I find it very off how I know some people with serious diseases, drug addicts (heavy drugs) and way older women (im 34 yrs) that have head full of hairs!! And I been losing mines since early 20's. Its like sh*t! Why am I cursed lol I mean I know genetics guess plays a role but cmon >:-[ Anyway thank you for your input also. I greatly appreciate it!

LusciousLadyLocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
The average length of a shed is 3 months on Rogaine. A lot of people discontinue it then. At 6 months is when most people see either regrowth or return to baseline. In up to 15% of cases, hair loss is only slowed, not halted, so you might not see quite baseline again, just a slower decline, if you're unlucky. However, it's more effective in women than men, with more regrowth. My hair is already at 50% more the cross-sectional area at the base of the ponytail vs. when I started, and only a small part of the regrowth has reached my ponytail.

Minoxidil causes telogen-phase hairs to shed as it forces them back into anagen. You don't lose anything you weren't going to lose over the next 6 months, anyway.

LusciousLadyLocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I really do HOPE I'm a good responder. My derm diagnosed me with AA so also getting injections every month or so. I find it very off how I know some people with serious diseases, drug addicts (heavy drugs) and way older women (im 34 yrs) that have head full of hairs!! And I been losing mines since early 20's. Its like sh*t! Why am I cursed lol I mean I know genetics guess plays a role but cmon >:-[ Anyway thank you for your input also. I greatly appreciate it!

AA=Androgenic alopecia or alopecia areata? It doesn't work as well with alopecia areata, but it won't make you thin over time even if it doesn't help much. Alopecia areata is usually reversible and self-limiting. Androgenic alopecia is progressive.