How does oral min compare to liquid foam versions

Norwood2.5

Established Member
Reaction score
People are drinking alcohol by the tons (it is ethyl alcohol btw) - we are talking sub 1 ml values here lol. And PG is a humectant that is used in (commercial) food preparation - but again we are talking sub 1 ml values here. So it is perfectly fine and very cheap to "drink" minoxidil solution.
The other option is to our it out on a plate, let the alcohol evaporate, the minoxidil crystallize and remove the remaining liquid propylene glycol. Then you can consume the very bitter tasting minoxidil crystals. I've consumed about 15 ml daily orally like this, which would work out to an insane dose compared to the usually mentioned values. Been doing this for the past 8 years or so.

By the way, in the beginning I did have sides like a puffy face from topical application and noticed a quicker heartbeat when I first started using orally in smaller doses than described above. It's just that the effect becomes so much less after the years that I could up the dose.

My hairline has still receded over the past 8 years, but I do believe (no evidence) considerably slower than if I had done nothing.

I stopped finasteride completely due to loss of morning erections (although lowering the dose stopped that) and due to difficulty finding a doctor to prescribe that.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Why would you eat minoxidil crystals dude??? Quick update of almost 2 months on Loniten arms and hands super hairy and think im going to have to start plucking my nostril hairs!! Can see little sprouts of hair in my temples too that werent there before but looks a long way from developing into real hair.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
I am also on loniten 5 mg/daily for two months.
I don't have problems with body hair, excepting that my beard got super-thick, but i like it.
For hair:crown (where hairs were very miniaturised) is regaining thickness fast! On top the hair looks more healthy, and in front the very thin and colorless "fuzz" in the areas where my original juvenile hairline was, is , in many places, dark now. It's still thin, but it developed color.
NNo sides whatsoever, in fact, i have mild hypertension, i don't know if it's doing something for blood presurre at only 5 mg, but i feel more calm.

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in trying this. Did you guys get it from a Doctor or some other means?

I feel like my Doctor would be like **** off if I asked for this.

... Also, this is what Dr. Bernstein had to say about Loniten.

[h=2]Do You Recommend Loniten as Hair Loss Medication?[/h] December 18th, 2006 Q: Is Loniten good for treating hair loss?

A: Loniten (oral minoxidil) is not useful for treating hair loss. The reason is that it stimulates hair growth all over the body (hypertrichosis) and has a number of serious side effects.
Even when used to treat blood pressure, for which it is FDA approved, it is a medication reserved only for severe hypertension, used after at least three other types of blood pressure medications have been tried and are unsuccessful.
In addition to increased body and facial hair growth, it can cause fluid retention and heart disease. When used topically (topical generic minoxidil or Rogaine) the medication generally does not cause any significant problems other than local skin irritation and occasionally increased facial hair (which can be real nuisance for women).

Norwood2.5

Established Member
Reaction score
I do have increased body hair, facial hair and nostril hairs since starting in 2005, however I don't know how much of that body and nostril hair is maybe age related (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/fyi-why-do-old-people-get-so-hairy) instead. Minoxidil may contribute for sure. Only medical complication from too much body hair I've had is a sinus pilonidalis (twice, ouch), but then again my father had that too so that one is probably just genetics. Other than that never had any problems.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested in trying this. Did you guys get it from a Doctor or some other means?

I feel like my Doctor would be like **** off if I asked for this.

... Also, this is what Dr. Bernstein had to say about Loniten.

Do You Recommend Loniten as Hair Loss Medication?

December 18th, 2006 Q: Is Loniten good for treating hair loss?

A: Loniten (oral minoxidil) is not useful for treating hair loss. The reason is that it stimulates hair growth all over the body (hypertrichosis) and has a number of serious side effects.
Even when used to treat blood pressure, for which it is FDA approved, it is a medication reserved only for severe hypertension, used after at least three other types of blood pressure medications have been tried and are unsuccessful.
In addition to increased body and facial hair growth, it can cause fluid retention and heart disease. When used topically (topical generic minoxidil or Rogaine) the medication generally does not cause any significant problems other than local skin irritation and occasionally increased facial hair (which can be real nuisance for women).

This is just a mandatory response from any hair transplant doctor. For legal and moral reasons they never advocate the use of off label treatments. To them its Propcia and Minoxidil or nothing.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
I am approaching 4 months on oral minoxidil(Loniten). All is good, the hair maintains very well, and there is some improvement from how the hair was when i was using topical minoxidil. Anyway, my goal is maintenance only, i already have hairloss for 7 years(and maintained since), i don;t really expect much regrowth of hair that's been missing for that long.
What i want to say, i don't have any sides, in fact, i think i have less sides than on topical. On topical, after application i was often feeling very strange/dizzy. Also, i don't have (yet) development of excessive body hair. I know you people are scared about oral min, but believe me, i was feeling a lot stranger on topical version, and it was not doing much. I don't need to mention that applying topical was messy, i got sick of it after 6 years.
Notice1: i have some mild to moderate hypertension, and loniten dropped my blood pressure a little, i feel more relaxed now. So that may be the cause i don't have sides. Maybe in people with low already blood pressure, lowering it more by loniten may be harmful.
Notice2: no wrinkles /dark circles at all. In fact, my forehead skin looked worse on topical minoxidil, so that's why i think the alcohol and proylene glicol in topical mix may be responsible for that kind of sides, and not the minoxidil itself.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick update of almost 2 months on Loniten arms and hands super hairy and think im going to have to start plucking my nostril hairs!! Can see little sprouts of hair in my temples too that werent there before but looks a long way from developing into real hair.

How many milligrams of oral Minoxidil do you take daily?

I am approaching 4 months on oral minoxidil(Loniten). All is good, the hair maintains very well, and there is some improvement from how the hair was when i was using topical minoxidil. Anyway, my goal is maintenance only, i already have hairloss for 7 years(and maintained since), i don;t really expect much regrowth of hair that's been missing for that long.
What i want to say, i don't have any sides, in fact, i think i have less sides than on topical. On topical, after application i was often feeling very strange/dizzy. Also, i don't have (yet) development of excessive body hair. I know you people are scared about oral min, but believe me, i was feeling a lot stranger on topical version, and it was not doing much. I don't need to mention that applying topical was messy, i got sick of it after 6 years.
Notice1: i have some mild to moderate hypertension, and loniten dropped my blood pressure a little, i feel more relaxed now. So that may be the cause i don't have sides. Maybe in people with low already blood pressure, lowering it more by loniten may be harmful.
Notice2: no wrinkles /dark circles at all. In fact, my forehead skin looked worse on topical minoxidil, so that's why i think the alcohol and proylene glicol in topical mix may be responsible for that kind of sides, and not the minoxidil itself.

I'm glad that oral Minoxidil has been working well for you. Are you still taking 5 mg of the medication daily?