How do you track shedding?

mazer

Reaction score
Ok, been on procepia for about a month. There is a difinite increase in shedding for me, but I'm having trouble tracking how much. I've only starting "counting" recently, because I never noticed much of any shedding prior to meds.

1) Shampooing in shower. Probably 10-15 hairs that I can count on my hands. I have a wide-open drain, so I can't really count the hairs in the drain. Maybe this is good? I'm fearful of how many would be there.

2) Running my hands thorugh my wet hair.... 5-10 that I can count on my hands. I know that previous to meds, I would not lose hair from the front of my head. It's coming out now.

3) Running my hands through dry hair... a couple every time.

4) Pillow. I don't seem to be losing many while in bed. I counted 10 hairs this morning, but that's the first time I've counted. That pillow case has been on about a week.

Question is this.... is there an accurate way to count? Or better yet, should we count at all?

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dont count. dont obsess. analyze ur hair at the beginning of the month or something, then ignore it and assess it again after a month.

G

Maybe if you shed but your hair looks the same month after month, then it's obvious it's not affecting your male pattern baldness

now, if you shed and your hair becomes thinner month afetr month, then you have a problem

Also, there cases where they shed like mad, and month afte rmonth hair becomes fuller and ticker.

Also, both, Propecia and Rogaine prospects say that if you shed, it is a good sign.. so who knows.. :hairy:

The Gardener

Reaction score
Good point, Goodguy. The periods where I noticed more rapid recession were accompanied by shedding.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I really don't see how one can effectively count their shedding? It would be true if you had a net on your head, and every 24 hours you washed your hair into a net and rinsed your hands off into the net...

The thing that sucks is when you go over your normal interval of washing your hair, you will appear to have more shedding as the hairs that were dislodged after 24 hours will ruin your judgement.

Just seems like a royal pain in the *** to me, you all can do as you please.

I stick to the pull test to tell me how much I'm shedding. I'll also look at my hands after applying shampoo & conditioner to see what kind of hair I'm losing and at what volume.