how do you tell your kids you wear a wig??

keza

Reaction score
I started wearing a wig 2 and a half years ago when my little girl was just 2 years old. She's now 5. She either doesn't realise I wear a wig or is in denial as much as I am!! No-one in my life sees me without it, not even hubby. I have it at the 'quick and ready' to grab if my little one calls for me in the night. I'm afraid that if I talk to her about it that she will feel confused and let down - like I've somehow deceived her. I started a new position 10 months ago and no-one there has spoken to me about my 'hair' - I avoid any hair related discussion. Has anyone noticed how often conversation turns to hair, haircuts, hair product, colour etc??? Pretty hard to always appear disinterested.

I just don't want to be confronted by ANYONE about the fact I wear a wig. Most people in my life are sensitive to this but I'm just not comfortabe sharing my hair loss story with my 'post wig' networks.

How do I talk to my 5 year old about my hair loss without 'losing it' emotionally? Can I be assured she won't share this 'new' information with all her school buddies ???...

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
It is much more accepted by society for women to wear wigs than men. I'm sure that your daughter won't feel deceived if you tell her when she is a bit older and can understand. You will probably find better advice on a forum dedicated to female hair loss. I don't think many women post on here.

s.a.f

Reaction score
When I saw this thread I presumed it would be a man but its not considered vain for a woman suffering with hairloss to wear a wig.
Its a difficult situation as a 5yr old might not understand why a woman would have hairloss.
I think you should have let her see you without the wig before as toddlers dont know whats normal and what is'nt eg why some people have different coloured skin and why some men are bald.

The main problem I can see for you is the shock that it might cause but maybe if she got used to seeing you in different coloured or different length wigs first that might help.

Children can suprise you with what they pick up and so if she was used to seeing you without the wig at home but always wearing it to go out she'd probably learn to differentiate between the two situations and not mention it to others.
For example I have some foriegn freinds with very small children and they (the kids) have learned to speak 2 different languages from birth. now without being taught the children always knew when to speak their native language and when to speak english. eg they instantly knew that only mummy or relatives would understand their native language and they had to use english only when speaking other children or adults.

As for posting this on here I can understand your reasons just look at all the unanswered posts on the womens sections.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would wait, doesn't matter at this point, and she'll just tell everyone. I have 5 yr old nephews and they won't be able to keep it in. :)